A Los Angeles teacher was found guilty of putting his own semen on cookies and making students eat them. Are teachers screened thoroughly enough?

• Teachers are screened thoroughly enough

Teachers are screened thoroughly enough. However, there'll always be the bad apple, so to speak, commits some atrocious acts that calls screening processes into question. The fact that some teacher put a soft spongi Center inside a cookie should not be hey overall indictment on teacher screening. There is no way to prevent this kind of thing.

• Pretty much If you breathe, they'll let you teach.

I had a lot of good teachers but a lot of the teachers I had were just sorry and clearly not able to teach properly, especially substitute teachers. There seems to be no real competency or mental health standards as to who can teach, which has proven over and over again to be a cause of issues/problems. It's even worse with substitute teachers, if you breathe and can speak a few words, you pretty much have the job. And normal teachers usually aren't punished for their bad actions from what I've seen and from what the news has shown. Schools seem to ignore bad teachers, for example administrators overlooked Jerry Sandusky's constant sexual abuse of boys and even defended Sandusky when the scandals came out. So yes, teachers do need to be selected more carefully.

• Clearly they are not.

What is the world coming to? I suppose schools need to work together with the state to come up with screenings that disqualify a person even if they raise a minor flag. Those kids will be scarred for life and we must use up as much resources as needed to make sure something like this never happens again.

• They do terrible things.

There are many teachers that are very good and there are other ones that are terrible. Teachers have unions that protect them. All that really does is protect the ones who do bad things. There are so many stories about ways that teachers mistreat and even abuse students. We should do more to protect children.

• No, I don`t think so.

SICK. He is not right in the head at all. Poor girls... very seriously, I hope their moms make enough good cookies for them to get over this. Nasty. How can parents send their kids to school when every five seconds there's a story of a teacher or another student doing something vile??