A notoriously grandiose sequoia tree, located in the Calaveras Big Trees State Park, falls during serious winter weather: will the loss of this landmark feature influence those who enjoyed its aesthetic and geological value in human terms?

• Yes, the loss of this beautiful old tree will be felt

This old Sequoia tree and others leave one with a sense of awe and a sense of connection with nature and with the past. Speaking as one who has spent time with this tree, I can verify that losing this landmark is like losing an old friend. I am moved to revisit the spot and recommit to the preservation of all nature!

• It will make fans of the tree more adamant about conservation.

The wonders of Nature are unimaginable and deserve our attention and protection. The loss of the giant sequoia tree by natural causes should make us aware of the fragile universe in which we live and how life can be extinguished unexpectedly. The loss of the tree will hopefully have a benefit on others by making everyone a little more environmentally conscious.

• Yes this iconic tree will be mourned.

Generations of Americans, including me and my children, have driven through that tree. It is part of our cultural memory. How sad that my children will not be able to enjoy it as I have. That underlines are need to protect our natural resources as much as possible, since nature does her own damage.

• Yes, the loss of the tree will impact those who enjoyed it

People who loved the giant sequoia will definitely be missing it in its absence. It is hard to replace a tree like that and the feel that it gives the surrounding area. Even people who had not been to the park before will likely notice its absence when they visit.