A poacher-hunting dog in South Africa was given a medal for helping save endangered rhinos. Should K-9s be used more in the fight against animal poaching?

• We need to save our animals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes we need to save our animals even if we have to our beloved K-9's at risk. Now I love dogs but if we don't save our endangered animals then Who Will? Everyone is killing our animals (that we need) they may not look very cute but if we loose........ Just one animal then the WHOLE food chain is thrown off.

• Yes, dogs have tracking senses that humans don't

Dogs are an essential resource in the fight against illegal poaching because they capable of tracking the perpetrators from miles away, even if they try to hide their sent using chilli peppers or other means. Major poaching sites such as the Kruger National Park cover an area of about 7,500 square miles, therefore there should be a sufficient amount of dogs to make sure that all areas are sufficently patrolled.

• Dogs should be used more in the fight against animal poaching.

Dogs should be used more in the fight against animal poaching but only if they are well trained. This poachers have no respect for life and they would not hesitate to kill a dog. That is why the dogs should be well trained and the humans working with those dogs should protect them.

• Yes, K-9's should be used whenever it is sensible.

In my opinion, whenever there is a choice to use a K-9 that is qualified to assist in an operation, that animal should certainly be utilized. If the dog is not being harmed or placed in any unnecessary danger and is going to be useful, it is a wise choice to use it.

• Yes, one hundred times yes! Anything to protect endangered species

I am a huge animal lover and I will support any kind of initiative taken toward helping saving innocent animal lives. In addition, I believe that dogs are happiest, healthiest when they have a job. Using k-9s to fight animal poaching would have double the benefit: protect endangered species while helping dogs lead a more fulfilling life.