A right to die: Do people have a right to die and even to commit suicide?

• Yes if of sound mind

A person does have the right to choose whether they live or die as long as they are capable of making a sound choice. Too often those who commit suicide are bothered by something that controls their thinking. If a person is truly of sound mind and wishes to die I don't see why we should stop them.

• Die yes, suicide, no.

I think we as humans have the right to die, but not exactly commit suicide. I am a supporter of assisted suicide, however. If someone is dying and suffering, I feel they should have the right to request a trained professional to help them die in peace, like they deserve.

• People Have a Right to Die

Yes, just as people have a right to live, they also have a right to die. If a person is in incredible suffering and sickness, that person has a right to exit their life painlessly and with dignity. To force a person to continue to exist in such conditions is cruel.

• Yes, people have a right to die and commit suicide.

I believe that people have a right to die and even to commit suicide. People should have the right to decide when to end their life, especially if they are sick or suffering. If they feel like the quality of their life is no longer good than the person should have the right to end it.

• People have the right to die, not the mindset

I believe in certain cases that people have the right to end their life: prolonged suffering in a hospital that will never get better, a disease that will slowly destroy them..and so on. Suicide should not be endorsed, however, because it becomse an ethical quandry and many people aren't in the right frame of mind to decide on how their life ends.

• Yes, mature adults should have the choice

The most common rational reason is if somebody is terminally ill, in a lot of pain, and has no chance of getting better. Why do we force them to continue suffering if they would rather just end it? It's obviously a delicate balancing act to determine who is of sound enough mind to want to die and who isn't, but those that have thought it over and feel it's for the best should not be denied it.

• People have the right to choose suicide. It is their body.

I believe that people have a right to choose death or suicide for themselves. It is their body and ultimately their choice. I think we should encourage people with suicidal thoughts to get help and therapy. However In the end, it is their body and if they are living a life of misery and see no other possible solutions than death, I don't think it is right to force them into living.

• People do have a right to die

I agree that people have a right to die when and how they want to. People who are terminally ill and have no chance of living a better life or of getting better, should not suffer for no reason. However, a solution to this problem should be that when somebody wants to die, they should talk to a counsellor first because usually suicide happens when a person is drunk too much to think about what they are doing. And this would affect other people as well such as loved ones. So in conclusion, a person's life is in their hands. Most of their decisions are made by them so death should be on their list as well.

• To what end.....

I get the religious point of view. However, I do feel sorry for anyone who doesn't want to live any longer. If you want to die, just kill yourself, sadly people do it everyday for various reasons. Why make such a huge political statement about it. No one should have to "help" you die, you should not visit your desires on someone who would like to live (without going to prison). I think you should have the right to take your own life, however, I don't think that you should involve anyone else (be it assisted suicide or jumping in front of a bus). I am not sure how the insurance should work in this particular situation, will it raise costs for people not wanting to kill themselves, will people start to kill themselves to leave money behind for struggling family. When will the issue stop, will it be only the terminally ill, what about the mentally ill, the depressed, how young is too young (will a 13 year old who are being bullied get the right to "die with dignity" as well), will the college campus rape victim get a standing ovation for taking her life. Who decides if a 16 year old has a terminal illness, what about an 8 year old who wants to die but the parents want them to live? It think if you live or die it should be your choice, but it does baffle me that one person will want to fight to the bitter end to beat the odds and defy medicine while another person thinks, I'll just beat death to it. This 29 year old young lady who plans on taking her life on November 1, 2014 in Oregon, I wonder if she's thought about if there is a cure discovered 10 days later? There are people living that are medical miracles and to those people I applaud you, for looking those medical professionals and specialists in the eye and saying "watch me beat this"! This is what should be celebrated, the precious gift of life!!!