A typo skewed the history of HIV in the US and vilified “Patient Zero”. Is it true the AIDS virus came to this country a decade earlier than originally thought?

• That might be

This story has been on a variety of sites. It seems to be that a study published in The Journal of Nature found the patient was meant to be labelled as O from outside of California, rather than 0 as in ground zero. Since the study was published in a journal, hopefully it was researched and vetted, and if that's the case, it pretty possible that HIV has been in the US longer than we previously thought.

• No, the AIDS virus didn't come to this country a decade earlier.

No, the AIDS virus did not come to the US a decade earlier than originally thought. It is my belief that this virus may have come earlier. There is little evidence to support the spawning of this virus and the accuracy of it's inception in the US. It is still a mystery to many.

• Yes, I think so.

New research has proved that Gaëtan Dugas, a French-Canadian flight attendant who was dubbed “patient zero,” did not spread HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, to the United States. A cutting-edge analysis of blood samples from the 1970s offers new insight into how the virus spread to North America via the Caribbean from Africa. More than 1.2 million people in the United States currently live with HIV. It could have been a person of any nationality. It could have even been blood products. A lot of blood products used in the United States in the 1970s actually came from Haiti.

• No, the known history of the AIDs virus is not that inaccurate to my knowledge.

No, I do not believe the AIDs virus was around earlier than we thought it was. Having AIDs was practically a death sentence in the 1980s. Better prescription drugs for controlling the virus have only become commonplace in somewhat recent years. I find it hard to believe the virus could have been passed on much before good drugs were commonly available treatment.