Abortion: Are women usually content with a past decision to abort?

• Usually they are.

Although some women may regret having an abortion, many of them do not. They feel they did the best they could and were not ready to have a child. This is not always the case and some women do regret it but most often the do not regret this hard to make choice.

• No they are not

In the weeks, months, and years following an abortion, women find themselves counting the years, imagining how old that child would be now. They wonder whether it was a boy or girl, what it would look like now if it were still alive, and they, more often than not wish they'd never done it.
    Women who have had abortions often go into depression, turning to drugs and/or alcohol, and even suicide. Tell me, does that sound like someone who was happy with her decision?

• Knowing from experience.

I had an abortion because of my situation, going through a divorce with an abusive man who messed up his brain with drugs, already having two children with him plus a stepchild who needs me more than anything. If I were to have carried this child to term, I would have missed too much work to be a fit mother. I can't rely on child support checks because not only is my X in rehab (so he's not working), but he's never paid a dime of child support to begin with. I felt desperate with so much going on in the world and even considered adoption, What? Why don't I give up on my other kids and put them ALL in an orphanage while I'm at it? I still would have missed a lot of work just to have the cesarean, plus the cost of a whole new wardrobe of maternity wear, which all just felt overwhelming. I can't believe that this has become the decision I have made. I had so much love for this child that was growing in my stomach, but I didn't want to end up in a homeless shelter with it. I was pro-choice before believing "her body, her choice," but I honestly feel like what I have done was the most horrible thing I have ever done. I killed my child before it was even born. I can give as many excuses as I want as to why, but it will never change what happened. There was a life, not my own, and I ended it. I have to face every day for the rest of my life knowing that I told a doctor to suck my baby out with a vacuum hose. I dream every night about the sounds in the room, the taste of rubbing alcohol and death running through the back of my throat, the clear tube that carried my child from my womb into a box to be thrown away in the trash. I cry every day. I know it was wrong, because I went through it. Nobody should die that way.

• Abortion is never a pleasant decision.

No woman ever wants to have an abortion, it is usually a decision made because something has gone wrong or she feels there is no better alternative. Even when she believes her choice to be the correct one, most women are not content with having an abortion. Most women find in an unfortunate experience they had to endure, even if they believe there was no other option.