According to Christianity, is adultery a sin?

Asked by: Takwa
  • It clearly is stated.

If we look at the Ten Commandments, the words of Jesus, then it is. Thinking about having adultery is a sin. Yes, adultery is a sin. I'm sorry if you have been told otherwise. Adultery is a sin and I need about eight more words. I hope you live life well.

• Uh duh of coarse it's a sin

I mean really is it a sin . Sorry i don't mean to be rude here but it says it right in the bible. But if you have already committed adultary don't freak out too much because god is very forgiving. He has givin humans his grace and as long as you accept god and jesus as your lord and savior you will be fine

• Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.

It is most definitely a sin in Christianity, among every other sexual act except conensual sex between a married man and his wife in the missionary position for the purposes of reproduction. If you ever have to ask this question, it's probably a sin. The assumption of Christianity is that you pass on most every pleasure this life has to offer in order to secure an eternity in Heaven with God. Which is a very high price to pay if it actually turns out that this is the only life you get.

Posted by: Quan
  • Yes, it is.

The theme of adultery being a sin is repeated throughout the scriptures of the Judeo-Christian mythology. It's interesting that Christians have a higher incidence of adultery than any other group- with evangelical/fundamentalist Christians actually topping the charts.

Hypocrisy and organized religion seem to go hand in hand. People pick and choose what they like from their scriptures anyway- keep what they think is warm and fuzzy, and ditch anything that paints their beliefs in a bad light or is inconvenient to follow.

• This isn't an opinion

Yeah it's a sin in the bible. It says so in there somewhere, I haven't really read it because well... Atheist but still. Definitely a sin in that religion, whether it's morally wrong is a different question of course. Now I'm just kind of filling words because I need 50 and this was an easy answer.

Anonymous says2013-06-27T01:35:39.360
Of course. It's cheating on your spouse or your girlfriend. I mean come on. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.