• Oh, my (slave owning) God!

Leviticus 25:44-46:

Describes how to handle your livestock, how children and women are to be bought and sold, and how your descendants will inherit your property should it stay alive long enough to be handed down.

Exodus 21:2-6 NLT:
    Describes how to manipulate a Hebrew slave into permanent slavery by holding his family hostage.

Exodus 21:7-11 NLT:
    Describes how even in slavery, women are less than men, are enslaved longer, and can be brought back with a receipt for a full refund for "not being pleasing" (in bed) ((because that's apparently woman's singular purpose, to please a man)).

Exodus 21:20-21 NAB:
    My favorite - describes how you can beat a slave literally within in inch of the slaves life, as long as you don't kill them... For a day or two. If you put the slave in a coma and they die 3 days later you're clear, because "the slave is your own property"

Ephesians 6:5 NLT:

Describes how slaves should serve their masters. In fact, it directly says "serve them as you would serve Christ" which is interesting, if I was Christ and I didn't like slavery I may have, I dunno, tried to DISTANCE myself from such violations of humanity, not have them use my name in their slavery FAQ.

1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT:
    Describes how if you're a Christian, and a slave, it doesn't get you off the hook. Be an awesome slave and don't embarrass God (he's the one REALLY suffering here).

Luke 12:47-48 NLT:
    Jesus talks about putting a whooping down on slaves who refuse to follow instructions, and a diet whooping on slaves who simply didn't know they did wrong.

The carpenter himself advocates beating slaves for the unholy crime of just being ignorant.

So, believe it or not, the child killing, woman raping, civilization destroying, genocidal, bi-polar bearded man is TOTALLY okay with slavery, and in fact lays out a groundwork for how to more EFFICIENTLY KEEP SLAVES.

You'd have better luck convincing me Henry Ford hated assembly lines, that George Washington Carver hated peanuts, or that Gandhi hated peace before you'd convince me the god of the Bible was against slavery.

• This is why the right wing loves the religion

It gives them an excuse to enslave workers through the manipulation of hiring vacancies.

When there aren't enough jobs, people are willing to work for slave wages.

They excuse their greed by claiming god and jesus never condemned slavery. And they would be right. Because the bible is a crappy litmus test for morality.

• Just follow the Bible.

The Bible is very clear that you can own slaves, so sit back light up your pipe and get your slave to bring your beer. I mean god was so clear on it, and well all the founders of the great nation of Merica cannot be wrong can they as they were right about owning guns too. Note the large swathes of irony.

But the truth is as a Christian having slaves is okay.

• Technically you can

The bible tells us how we are supposed to treat our slaves. If the United States of America was a real Christian nation we would never have banned slaves. So let's sit back and relax while they do everything for us. In fact, let's start working on the laws to bring slaves back right now. We can't be a Christian nation without following every single part of the Bible.

• According to the bible, yes.

The bible is very clear on this: In exodus it says that you can beat your slaves as long as they do not die within a day or two and in leveticus it says that your slaves are your property and that you can pass them down to your children.

• Yes, the bible clearly says it.

The following passage shows that slaves are clearly property to be bought and sold like livestock:

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

• Christ fulfilled the Law of Moses

Current "Yes" voters have claimed that we can own slaves according to the Christian faith by means of citations from the books of Exodus and Leviticus. However, since we are discussing "Christianity," I would like to point out that both of those books take place during the time of the Law of Moses. Jesus fulfilled that law (Matthew 5:17), and set forth a new law (John 15:12).

Furthermore, owning slaves is a tradition of man. A true devout Christian would not own slaves, not only because it is in contradiction with the "Golden Rule" (Matthew 7:12), but also because it shows that they "...Reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition." (Matthew 7:9)

• Of course not:

"Christianity is extremely explicit as to how we are to treat others no matter who they are."

This is accurate. Slavery is never endorsed specifically by Yaweh just like concubines aren't even though the Kings of Israel had hundreds of them and various other often misquoted propositions. Human behavior should not reflect on Yaweh's wishes for humanity.

"But it's in the Bible!" is not equivalent to "But God said so!"

• Christianity takes no stance on whether or not one can own a slave (as far as I'm currently aware).

However, Christianity is extremely explicit as to how we are to treat others no matter who they are, so in all honesty, if modern laws in the West allowed slavery and didn't compromise the Christian values of loving one's neighbour and so forth, it wouldn't be problematic. Clearly, how we treat others is a far more important issue to Christianity than socioeconomic issues.
    Furthermore, it should be made known that the thumbnail for this question is very misleading. The modern concept of a chattel slave is quite a different concept to the slavery we find in the Old Testament.
    I highly suggest reading the article I have linked here. People condemn the slavery mentioned in the Bible long before they understand it (if they ever do).

• Yes if times are different.

We have technology now and can live our entire lives without slave labor. You simple could not afford to pay your slaves 3500 years ago. Now some men can have slaves live on his land and pay 50$ a hour. But hey, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Formerland1 says2014-08-21T04:01:18.043
I know its mean but sometimes I wish I had slaves .
BlackOpal97 says2015-06-27T11:02:06.547
No, you shouldn't