Adult male circumcision: Are there social reasons for or against circumcision?

• Many Are For

I believe there are many social reasons that influence circumcision. I believe it is popular in the west because it was commonly used as a religious passage in the Torah, which later was passed onto Christians. While circumcision does help for hygienic purposes, I think it's overall success is based on purely social reasoning and what people are accustomed to.

• Yes when you are older it is a major social issue

There are large social issues regarding male circumcision when you are an adult. The main issue is sex. Men will find a different amount of pleasure based on whether or not they are circumcized. Women also report feeling different pleasure based on male circumcision. There is also the idea of cleanliness.

• Yes, there are social reasons to encourage male circumcision.

The old arguments relating to circumcision concerning health and cleanliness no longer really apply. Access to soap, clean water and regular bathing do away with these problems. However, there is very much still a stigma against men who retain their foreskins, simply because it is still the norm to be circumcised. This stigma is a valid reason for a man to want to be circumcised.

• Yes, there are social reasons for circumcision.

Being an adult that is not circumcised can have a negative impact in a persons life. There is a social stigma that comes along with circumcision and it is often frowned upon if you are not circumcised. I think it is highly encouraged to circumcise your child at the earliest age possible.

• Circumcision is a personal choice once adulthood is reached

Yes, I think there are social reasons for being circumcised especially when it is done as an adult. Some women prefer men that are circumcised over those that are not. This may be one of the reasons behind an adult male deciding to go through with circumcision. For the younger male it may be the pressure from peers that have had the surgery as an infant.

• Circumcision looks better

Ithink that the only way that circumcision becomes a group decision is when it comes to: aesthetics and feeling. When a male is circumcised they lose sensitivity in their penis, but a circumcision also means that they are cleaner and less prone to different illnesses due to non cleanliness in that region.

• Yes - it offers better health and cleanliness factors as well as sexual and body image benefits.

From the personal experience of having it done as an adult I can compare both states. I have no regrets whatsoever for the choice I made. Much opinion
    My opinion is based on having had it done as an adult thus providing the opportunity for a true comparison of both states. I have no regrets whatsoever for my choice and would encourage any man considering it to proceed without further delay - one only lives once!

Posted by: robg
  • That's literally the ONLY reason

There are no medical benefits. No other benefits. It's purely cosmetic. Nothing else.

There is no reason to cut off a healthy part of the body way before there any problems - which might never occure when the caregiver is doing his job.

Worst argument? "I am a nurse in a home for the elderly, and I saw many men with bad infections of the foreskin. So better cut it off"

In an INFANT? Because he could get an infection when he is very very old? Are you serious?

Besides that: If an intact man in such a hospital has foreskin problems it is NOT the problem of that man, it is clearly a problem of the nurses which are not doing their job properly.

• Do you wonder why it is acceptable to subject males to, but not females? Male or female, it is a human rights violation.

Every human being has a fundamental right to bodily integrity and to informed consent. The only time that it would be acceptable for a parent to choose surgery for a child or baby is if every less invasive means have already been employed unsuccessfully, making the procedure necessary to keep the child from serious harm or death. I believe that this is a part of the law in the united states. This is why female genital mutilation is treated as illegal.

• Without an urgent medical reason, no.

Society pressures women into boob jobs too. That doesn't make the surgery valid. Society should be accepting people as they are, not prescribing needless and damaging surgery so you conform to someone else's idea of conformity.
    Men deserve the same consideration for their bodily autonomy as women enjoy. We wouldn't force a woman to undergo a surgery so she "looks like her peers". The same argument applies to both genders.

• NO. Simple as that.

Honestly people come on. If someone is telling you to alter your body for them then theyre not the right person for you. This whole "cleanliness" yhibg is ailly. Women wouldnt be too clean if they didnt wash regularly. Are we telling them to go alter themselves? No. They just wash. So why is it soap for women and cosmetic surgery for men? This ia ridiculous. If the same debate was going on about women, everyone would freak out. So lets leave the men be and have equal rights for BOTH genders shall we?

• Social reasons are stupid reasons for surgery

Why do we say children should accept others' differences if we cannot accept their differences at the beginning of life? Let's stop the hypocrisy now and welcome the child into this world with love and compassion. The locker room argument is a cruel excuse. The greedy doctors created this whole mess!

• No valid reason.

There is no reason adult men should feel socially or culturally pressured into having a circumcision done. Circumcision permanently alters and damages a mans body. You should not be expected to remove a part of your body to temporarily fit in. Removing the foreskin throws away 20,000 nerve endings, the gliding function, your lubricants and pheremones, and will open your now healthy, sensitive penis up to callousing which will in time make the skin hard and thick, reducing pleasure and making orgasm a chore rather than a joyful experience.

• There is no reason to push adult men to be circumcised.

There are no supported health benefits of circumcision when studies account for age, sexual partners and smokers. Men and young boys do not need to cut healthy, functional tissue from themselves to prevent diseases or infections. If society has to pressure you to cut part of your penis off, it probably is instinctively wrong to begin with!

• Culture should be questioned

Amputating half of the integumentary system of the penis is not normal in Mexico, other Latin American countries, and Europe. Circumcision was started in the US by John Harvey Kellogg to stop masturbation. When that didn't work, it was said that lack of circumcision caused syphilis, anxieties, depression, etc. When that wasn't believed, hygiene was cited as an excuse. Guess what. Our eyelids produce crust in the morning. Dirty! Ought we to remove them too?

• Adults can do whatever they want with their bodies, but Routine Infant Circumcision is barbaric and unnecessary.

The male foreskin contains over 20,000 specialized nerve-endings; in contrast, the female clitoris contains only 8,000! Why would any man not want to have that; why would any parent want to deprive their son of a full and natural sex life?

In Europe, where baby boys are not routinely mutilated at birth, boys and men are not running around with rampant infections. Men are happy to have 100% of the bodies they were born with, to use and enjoy as God/Nature intended. The foreskin serves many protective and pleasurable (for BOTH partners!) purposes and is MEANT to be there. The rest of the civilized world looks at us Americans, still cutting our boys, with the same horror and disgust with which we look upon cultures who cut their girls.

"When it comes to holding down perfectly healthy babies and severing flesh from their bodies, how much can you cut away before it becomes morally wrong?”

But again, if an adult man elects to have the procedure - all power to him. By then he will be fully aware of what he is giving up. His body, his choice.

• Bullying someone for having whole, intact genitals is unacceptable.

Cutting off part of your body because of "cultural conditioning" will never be acceptable. Some people prefer blonde hair, but U have dark hair. Some people prefer skinny people, but I am not. Some people prefer dumb chicks, but I love being intelligent. I am who I am, and I will not allow any bullies to force me to *have sugery* to be acceptable.

• Maybe once but not anymore

World wide more men are not circumcised, in the United States the circumcision rate is under 50% for the first time in two generations, there is no longer any social stigma to for being natural, that being said, if an adult wants to get a circumcision they should be allowed to, but that choice should be the mans, not a choice made for them as a child.