After our physical death, is there a part of us that continues to live?

• Physical death is not the end...

After my mother passed away I was so very sad, and the loss of her was dramatic. I thought about why I was so absorbed with "my" feelings after her death. (It was my mum and she, herself was very accepting of her oncoming death--why wasn't I?)
    I had been an RN for many years and was very comfortable with the entire life process of "birth" and "death." It was completely foreign to me to actually have a family member pass away---it was very different, very emotional---"I" felt abandoned.
    I went away from my own feelings for a while and took a look at my mother's life, her legacy, her chronic illness, her pain, her acceptance of her death and realized that this was a natural event in life that was happening, and it was my mum's process (not mine)--yes, I will miss her physical presence, but the energy, the feeling that she is all around me became heightened. I don't need to physically see my mother to tell her that I love her, talk to her, share things with her.
    It is so true----death is a non-event, just a part of life. From birth (to becoming a physical person) to death ( becoming a spiritual being/energy) is just like walking into a different room; quietly, with ease.

• Yes, I would like to believe that there is some part of our humanity that exists after death, because all the lessons we learn as humans are too big to be wasted.

I believe in reincarnation, personally. I think that part of our human selves lives on and is transferred into our next life. I think that deep lessons we learn in this life are carried into our next life, as well as having lessons from our life prior to this one. Each trip through life is a learning experience that benefits the zeitgeist.

Posted by: EvelynP
  • Part of us lives on after death through those that remember us.

Although someone may be physically dead, part of them still continues to live through their memory. Their friends, children, and other family always remember that person. They live on through stories told about them, photos, and videos of the person. They are part of a family history that doesn't disappear.

Posted by: EImerN4th
  • Life is not only physical but also cosmic, so it lives on even after physical death.

Our lives are not only a physical existence, we also have a soul. The soul lives on even after the death of our physical bodies. There is so much more to living beings than just having a physical body.

Posted by: TigerDeII
  • I believe a part of us continues to live after death because physics has proved that energy in motion stays in motion.

I do not base my belief on religion. I base it on science and science states and have proved, that energy in motion stays in motion. That is all life is, energy. As to whether that part of us, the energy in motion, that continues on has any conscience knowing of its continuance, I have no idea. There are many possibilities as to how it continues on and I couldn't begin to guess which one is accurate or correct but I do firmly believe that our energy "stays in motion" with accordance to the laws of physics.

Posted by: BrianDj
  • After our death, our soul is still alive and continues to live.

Our soul never dies. It only changes the physical body, and this can be evident in many past life experiences felt by many people across the world.

Posted by: dankilberry
  • After you die, a part of you continues to live especially if you have children or people very close to you.

Regardless of a religious beliefs, anyone after they die continues to live in one way or another. Nobody is ever just forgotten, and their influence on others transfers energy that may not be visible, but it certainly is an energy that influence people to do better. Otherwise, we would not be talking about anyone from the past.

Posted by: BurM4rk
  • I think there is a part of us that continues to live.

There is no set in stone proof of this, but many people believe after one dies your soul goes to heaven and your reincarnated into something else. For example, a dog, cat, mouse, ect...

Posted by: Murd0I2
  • I agree because we are still not clear about what happens to us after death, even after all the research work. So, there is always a chance that if not our body, our inner soul will remain in some form or other, and our dear ones will feel our presence.

There have been incidents where sensible and educated people have felt the presence of their dear ones through their voices or seen their figures roaming around in the night or through some bizarre experience, which cannot be just rejected as hallucinations. I have a friend who felt his brother really talking to him a few hours after his death around 100 miles away!

Posted by: EmeP34t34r
  • Death is Not the End!

My ex-husband passed away suddenly while our daughter was visiting him. We both had dreams of him for years. He was always with us in the dream. One day I met a man the same age as my ex-husband. His mannerisms was identical to my ex-husbands, he loved dogs, my ex-husband loved dogs, this man lived on a ranch, my ex-husband wanted a ranch, this man was a preacher, my husband wanted to be a preacher, this man love children, my ex-husband loved children. I do believe death is not the end. I believe their spirit lives on in some type of form. Which ever form God chooses.

• There is no evidence.

They are not counted as evidence.
    Personal experiences like loved ones feeling the presence of the deceased is because they want them to be there and imagine they're there.

The bible was written 2000 years ago by men who knew very little about the world. If it's true or not is a whole other debate. However it is undecided and thus cannot be evidence.

The bodies losing weight after death suggests that the soul is physical and inside the body somewhere. However, scientists have found nothing like a soul in the body.

There is not other evidence apart from these three and they're not really evidence. So there is no evidence souls exist.

• I disagree that their is a part of us that lives on after death, because the Bible explains that there is not.

In the Bible, we are told that Adam came to be "a living soul". Time and again, humans and animals are spoken of as being souls, but not having them. In fact, Ecclesiastes states plainly that we know nothing after death. Jesus explained that any future prospect for life after death would be a resurrection, right here on Earth, after the Earth has been cleansed of all wickedness.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • There is no physical or mental reason why any part would.

Everything, such as hair and nails growing, is false since it is only the skin receding.

Posted by: poohbear
  • No, when we die, there is no more.

Mankind is only a complex set of chemical reactions. We are nothing but animals. There has been no proof that there is anything more than our current awareness. When we die the electro-chemical that we perceive as us, ends and we are no more. Mankind has in its fear of death created the concept of souls, but there is no proof that this is anything more than wishful thinking.

Posted by: R43Shep
  • You just die

People use the concept of the spirit living on as a way to give themselves hope that they will one day see dead loved ones again. When a family member or loved one dies, it is much easier to deal with the pain of losing them by telling yourself that you will be together again in the afterlife. The whole idea is a way of coping.

• When you die you die.

For our whole lives we are conditioned to fear death, and in my opinion, belief in the afterlife is humanity's way of dealing with this fear. The same way children who feel lonely might find comfort in an imaginary friend. Another possible reason for the belief is that It's nigh on impossible to imagine not living after you spend your whole life doing just that, to the extent that people can't believe any alternative.

Remember that place you where before you were existed? One day you'll be there again. It's not a particularly cheery thought, but for me at least, it makes me appreciate that my time left is finite, and encourages me to do something with my precious time on this planet.

Having just seen an argument titled 'Law of Conservation of Matter And Energy' - Neither energy nor matter go anywhere when you die, in a physical sense, there is very little change.
    You could argue that so long as you are remembered you never die, but then the definitions become wishy-washy.

• it is very unlikely

the problem is if there was a super-natural pat of the human how would it interact with our physical body during life. and evidence such as Alzheimer seem to point toward the conclusion that the mind and bran are the same.
    Even if we assume something like a soul is possible it is our physical bodies that allow us to have experiences (our senses) so if there was an after life there would be no point since we would not be able to experience it.

• It is a hard thing to swallow.

It's a cold hard fact, and it burns your mind like vodka does the throat. Is there really a life after death? Is there a part of your consciousness, that, after death, remains awake, endlessly? But what if that is not true. Contemplate not even thinking, ceasing to exist. Where does all life go that has gone? What is the point of living? It's of no use to make a mark on the earth if once you are gone you will be nothing. By that extension, life is just meaningless.

• Maybe

I choose to say no because i do not know if that is possible. I would like to say there is a part of me that is still living but i do not know if that is true.There are no scientific evidence, as we cannot bring someone back from the dead. I maybe wrong as no one is perfect.

• Although it depends on our definition of "live"...

There is no legitimate, hard evidence that says that there is an "afterlife." So far, the concepts of "mysticism" and "spirituality" have been debunked, piece by piece, by modern science.

Anonymous says2013-03-31T00:51:30.337
My theory about after we die is that our brain stays alive for ever and we become to develop dreams of reality and we will be the gods of our own world
Anonymous says2013-05-05T06:31:32.967
Beyond my Christian Faith, I know intuitively that we must continue after death. There's too much there, too much momentum of spirit and thought.
Anonymous says2013-05-20T17:59:33.550
Life is energy - and energy cannot end.