Should all forms of government welfare be abolished?

• Stop government spending and the welfare program.

People have learned how to cheat the system. These people are fraud masters. It has put our country where it is right now. These people are stealing from you. These people aren't even claiming their own children's dads because they get more money from the system. That's why we should get rid of the welfare system.

• Not entirely though, just decreased.

Federal spending of welfare has gone from 2 billion to 32 billion a year and the poverty level is the same. They need better regulations to prevent abuse of the system and some should be abolished all together. Most people who are on it don't need it. It needs to change and so much money should not be spent on it

• Basic rule of Government: To give money away you have to take it from someone else.

It should be the taxpayer choice if they want to donate to charity; Not an obligation. We are being forced to condone laziness and slothful workers. I want to give my dollars to enterprising individuals to make my investment grow. Not people who are too lazy to help themselves. And for disabled people we should expand hospitals and home care. We should rehabilitate then and not let them soak in their sorrows with an EBT card.

• It does more harm than good

I feel sorry for the few that don't abuse the system and are losing these benefits but so many are abusing this once great system. The negatives that come with welfare outweigh the few positive benefits of welfare. In today's economy we can no longer afford to carry these people on our backs, they need to pick themselves up and get to work like the rest of us.

• I think it should be a taxpayers choice to help support the people on welfare.

Our government is not responsible to support people that refuse to work. Playing the system has become a way of life for so many. Especially young mothers that keep having children. I feel for the children but the fact remains that the government is not responsible for their parents choices.

• People become too reliant on it.

19% of people are on welfare for more than 5 years. This reliance on welfare hurts the economy because the people that are taxed for it aren't able to put their money back in the economy. This can help to keep people in the hole of welfare. I feel for the children!

• People become too reliant on it.

• People become too reliant on it.

• Depends on the welfare

I read a few of the yes comments and people seem not to have full understanding of welfare. I have no problem with the elderly or people with serious illnesses getting help. Also earned VA benefits are considered welfare. I do get tired of seeing single women bragging about not working and getting welfare and child support to buy new shoes.

• Help those who work for a living and don't sit on their ass all day

Government welfare should be abolished because people already know how to cheat the system and claim more children they what they in reality have or for instance like people who do work and don't just sit on their ass all fucking day well all those taxes they would usually get are given to those who cant care for themselves, yes it is true some people do need it but for instance the young people who do have kids at a young age and cant care for their baby well guess what!!! You shouldn't have has a kid if u couldn't care for it and well all these Americans are taking care for kids that are even theirs.

• What about the rest?

I hope you all do realize that educational financial aid (fafsa), is a type of government welfare, and I'm sure that there are a few of you who maybe helped their child fill out one of these FAFSA applications. I personally believe that welfare should not be abolished, but definitely regulated and reformed. I'm a high school graduate who is barely getting by trying to pay for my school and find transportation to and from places. I work, but its a part time job, so I still have time for school work. I'm taking eight classes, the recommended is four. I personally, do not have a family to turn to for financial assistance or housing. I had one parent that didn't maintain a relationship with me after I turned 18, she isn't responsible enough, or stable enough to support me. My FAFSA is being processed and that will determine if I will be going to school next semester. I would file for independence, but because I don't have a vehicle of my own, I rely on others for rides, it would be just another hassle I can't afford right now. I'm 18 years old and I have to say that welfare is going to help out in my life. I never knew the importance of government welfare until now, when I definitely needed it. There will always be complaints on America's position with welfare, now, there's too much, but during the great depression, people were angered that there wasn't enough to help them get by. I strongly disagree that government welfare should be completely abolished.

• In dire need of reform, but not abolished.

Those who are medically proven to be permanently disabled (mentally and/or physically) should receive some type of permanent assistance. Those who are otherwise physically and mentally capable of working, but who have fallen upon hard times, should receive TEMPORARY assistance only. And under NO circumstances should a welfare recipient be permitted to continue spitting out kids like a Pez dispenser! The restrictions on assistance dollars should be overhauled, also. I hate the "why shouldn't we get to eat what everyone else eats?" argument that welfare recipients and bleeding hearts use when anyone dares talk about restricting certain foods. Alcohol and cigarettes are prohibited, even though "everyone else" can buy them. Welfare assistance should be restricted to items necessary for good nutrition, hygiene and basic living. You do not need alcohol, cigarettes, Slim Jims or potato chips. You DO need toilet paper and soap - yet those items are restricted. Go figure.

I have seen firsthand how welfare recipients take advantage of the system (e.G., letting others used their EBT card in exchange for cash, which is then used to buy alcohol, scratch off tickets and cigs); I have also seen how it has benefitted families who find themselves in an unexpected and TEMPORARY financial crisis.

Every person I talk with about this subject agrees that the system needs to be seriously overhauled. And every person agrees that there SHOULD be restrictions on food items (as well as a serious decrease in the $ amount on the EBT card - $350+ per child for food? Who spends that much on one child per month in food???) And every person wonders the same thing: Why is actual welfare reform such an impossible task for our government? I mean, these are the people we entrust to keep us safe from terrorism, yet they cannot successfully reform an assistance program? We're screwed.

• It needs a drastic over haul.

Once upon a time when we fell on hard times we turned to our family and our community for help first. Families consolidated and and pulled together to help each other out. Parents moved in with their children and children moved back home for short periods of time to "get back on their feet".

Today people look to the government for help before looking for help within their family & community.

Welfare should not be a long term solution for most. Except for those with disabilities it should be a short term "helping hand."

Help (not welfare) should be available to those of all incomes that are put in a financial crisis. An actual crisis. If you have liquid assets to cover your debt and your bills; it's not a crisis. Those that have sudden and costly health issues that are either not insured or exceed their insurance, loss of an income, loss of all income, etc. Programs that help those that were financially stable and responsible tax payers get through "rough periods". Mostly by financial counselling and help with mortgage deferments, help selling their home, help downsizing and such until they can can resolve their current financial crisis. Avoiding bankruptcy and possibly relying on public assistance programs as their situation spirals out of control.

Financial responsibility should be taught in high school. It shouldn't get to the point that intervention is needed unless it is the most dire of circumstances. When you see generations of the same family on public assistance their is defiantly a problem to be addressed.

The one thing I would like to see is those who receive monetary assistance (those that are capable and fit for work) perform community service hours. There are lots of communities that have "jobs" that they can not afford to higher for and rely on community service. Some communities do not have enough volunteers. This can have benefits for both parties. Especially the younger generation. It can provide valuable job skills, contacts, and job prospects.

• Government welfare should be reformed, not abolished.

I do think that some forms of government welfare should be abolished, but not all of them.

Many forms of government welfare are vital when it comes to the health and well-being of the lower class. The problem is that many people take advantage of the current welfare system and abuse it for personal gain.

• Welfare reduces inequality

There are people who inherit obscene amounts of wealth and property from their parents, without earning it, and consequently never have to work a day in their lives. It is only fair then, that people who are born into poverty receive as much aid as possible from the government to provide them with same opportunities as everyone else, otherwise we would be living in an incredibly feudalistic society. All this talk about "working hard" is a simplistic argument which fails to address the plight of those born into poverty who have not had a chance to "work hard". For example, some university students do not have to work because their parents have enough income to support them, while others would have to work full time and take longer to graduate, were it not for welfare.

• All forms of government welfare should not be abolished.

It's easy for someone who is not struggling with help for anything to sit there and say people are being lazy and need to get a job. Put yourself in their shoes. Look up why there is a government welfare system before you go off of what you see on television.

• No government welfare should be abolished

I think all forms shouldn't be abolished I think they just need to monitor it be than they have you got senior citizens they have to live of government welfare some people can't afford to live on their own most people can't get jobs or can't find a good job honestly the government hasn't done a good enough job of monitoring it

• Without welfare there is extreme poverty.

Does our welfare system need reformed? Absolutely. There are, and always will be, those who abuse the system. But there is such a thing as a 'culture of poverty' in America, and for those who are entrenched in this culture breaking out can be nearly impossible; some people know nothing about how to live without government assistance because its what their parents learned from their parents. People who exist within a culture of poverty can only raise themselves up through education. If we want to reduce the number of people on welfare we, as a society, need to provide our children with a good education to give them a fighting chance at being productive contributing people.
    If we cut ALL spending on welfare n poverty would exist again in America. I personally refuse to live in an America where the poor are forgotten about, children starve to death

All forms of government welfare should not be abolished. If we can not help each other out from time to time then what is the point? There are middle class families out there right now that can not put food on the table without the support of certain welfare programs in this country. We should not start taking that away unless our economy was improved dramatically.