Although 227 minutes long, Lawrence of Arabia film has no women in speaking roles. It is reportedly the longest film not to have any dialog spoken by a woman. Does this underestimate the role of women?

• Yes this underestimate the role of women.

It totally understood of that such film producers were biased in their production. Maybe trying to categories the character role based on the sex , which may sometimes not be true. But because of the understanding that women where not fit to partaker in such role may cause the out-righting their role in the film Just watched this movie for the first time last night. I never really got into older movies, but heard the visuals in Lawrence of Arabia were stunning so I wanted to watch it on my big screen (100 inch HD projector). Not only was I absolutely blown away by the scenery, but the story and acting were superb. Really though, it is completely worth the watch for the visuals alone. I had no idea Jordan had such beautiful landscapes.

I also really enjoyed how the film didn't seem rushed, but also told a lot of story. It was a stark contrast to modern films that try to pack so much story into 90-120 minutes. They don't rush conversations between characters, and not every conversation is just the script trying to keep you informed. It seems like a lot of modern films get lazy and just try to feed you the plot or theme through dialogue.

• Of course this film underestimates the role of women.

The bechtel test is considered the base minimum test for women in film. It states that films should have at least two women who speak together about something other than a man. The fact that Lawrence of Arabia doesn't even have two women speaking, the easiest part of that test to pass, is absurd and severely underestimates women.

• No, Lawrence of Arabia does not underestimate the role of women.

No, Lawrence of Arabia does not underestimate the role of women. The fact that a 227 minute long film does not have one woman with a speaking role plainly displays the self-importance and narcissism of entitled, privileged men. It is the epitomy of navel-gazing and a testament to how sexist Hollywood was, which hasn't changed a lot since then.

• Absolutely not !

Should we make 50/50, come on, it's a film, I really don't see why you should make a film with equally presented men and women, it's a film, we can't set quotas, it is another thing if tehy are insulting someone, but if not I don't see any reason to condemn this.

• The setting in this film indicates why women have no speaking roles.

This film is set in Arabia where they have extremely strict rules and laws concerning women. The fact that women have no speaking roles in this film only indicate what the environment is like for the women of this country. It is true to the culture. This has nothing to do with women's worth in film production but of their cultures' beliefs about women.