Am I A Christian Hypocrite For Standing Up And Learning From Atheists?

Asked by: 1lwalker
  • Hypocrisy is seeking truth, then cherry-picking evidence

Is there any thinking that doesn't benefit from skeptical challenge or competing thought?

To my mind, one of the most malignant hypocrisies in the world is to claim supreme moral authority from ignorance and self-interest. It's similar to what despotic dictators do, in category if not degree.

Monotheists are free to explore the idea of a single divinity, but having asserted the privilege of their own ideas being the *only* truth, I think there's also a moral obligation to test and retest the competing ideas of multiple divinities, or no divinity, or the single divinity you've nominated not having the properties you think it does.

How can we care about the human condition and *not* learn from the way other humans think?

I hope that may help, :)

Best wishes,

• How could you be?

I myself am a Christian and have learned much from atheists. Heck, there is nothing we are never learning from something. I do not find anything wrong in learning from the opposing view, however you must have your foundation built on strong ground before and/or while you learn from the other side. You must believe the fundamental truth of God's Word to call yourself a Christian, that being the gospel. Grasp that with all your might; learn and prosed from there.

Mike01506 says2014-12-11T15:09:09.827
I'm unsure if you're a hypocrite or not. But whatever your religion, it's wise to learn from both atheist and religious points of view so that you can make your own decision, certainly something that many religions try and prevent from happening.