April Fools' pranks: Are April Fools' jokes immature?

• Yes (yes and yes just to fulfil the 3 word requirement thingy)

First off, I'd like to define the definition of 'immature'. In my argument, it will be seen as: anything that can injure, take a life, humiliate, take away human rights (e.G. Someone plays a prank that results in damaging the person's reputation so bad they can't find a job when they're older, which takes away a right usually given to people without interference from that prank), or negatively affect people for long periods of time with the party responsible knowing the effects before.

Now, onto the argument - Of course April Fools jokes are immature! Maybe a long time ago, they were ingenious, took some planning (too many hours slaving over a one-two minute prank means you need to get a life) and everybody had a good laugh afterwards, but nowadays they're chock full of immatureness, why?

People aren't aiming to trick somebody they know anymore, they're aiming to get a viral video on youtube, to get the biggest reaction seen, to make a legacy of themselves when playing those pranks. These often lead to dangerous, silly or disrespectful things done under the guise of pranks, some which are offensive, disrespectful (that word again) and shouldn't be done.

That corresponds with my definition of immaturity, in that the pranker often is aware or knows about the consequences (but they just don't think about how it effects the other person, or they do but they don't care because it's not them suffering) and the pranks are harmful and are not really done for the same motive.

That's all, In conclusion, April Fools jokes are immature.

• Lol pranks are supposed to be immature

Tell me which is funnier. A joke status or a car smothered with post-its with funny messages? Pranks are supposed to be funny. The more 'pranky' it is, the more laughs there will be. I mean seriously? Tell me who doesn't love seeing an immature prank happen once every April?

• Most April Fool's jokes are immature

I appreciate good humor and while some April Fools' pranks can be funny when done in the spirit of the holiday, most of these pranks are childish and immature. Unfortunately, many of these "jokes" rely on humiliating the target or involve stunts that could be dangerous to the target or the person playing the prank. I hate that every company feels that they must "play along" by sending out absurd and ridiculous emails.

• Yes they are

April Fool's pranks are definitely immature but it doesn't have to be immature in a negative way. As long as the pranks are harmless and everyone gets a laugh it's good to be a little immature in today's very serious society. I think it's a good idea to have a little fun on April Fool's Day as long as you don't take it too far.

• They are showing you are not a self-centered snob

A good joke on a right person can rise a spirit of the company by quite a lot. Being able to make one shows that the joker can think out of the box, is not afraid to look a bit foolish and is not a close-minded snob. In fact ability to joke has nothing to do with the level of maturity.

• No, if you're careful

The best practical jokes are the ones that don't hurt anyone, but get laughs out of all involved. Scares are sometimes acceptable, but only if you know the person you're playing the joke on will take it in good humour. A good prank will confuse people and make them laugh, both at themselves and the prank. Prank wars can be fun too. Pranking isn't immature if its all fun, for all parties.

• No, I don't think April Fools jokes are immature.

I think that overall any prank or joke on April fools day is just in the spirit of the day and should be regarded as something fun to do, overall I don't really think they are immature and I think everyone should be able to realize the fun of the day.

• No, April Fools' jokes are not immature.

I believe that April Fools' jokes are not immature. There is a kid in all of us, and sometimes we need to let that kid out. It is an American tradition to prank our fellow peers on the first of April, and it is my belief that this tradition should be upheld. Sometimes fun and traditions need to trump the stigma of modern society.