Are advertising outlets accountable for the veracity of the ads they air?

• To A Degree

I do believe that advertising outlets are accountable for the veracity of the ads they air and I think they realize this as well. It's evident when they show the beloved infomercial but play a short clip before and after said infomercial that states the following program may include opinions not held by the station.

• Advertising outlets should be held accountable for the veracity of the ads they air.

Advertising outlets should be held accountable for the veracity of the ads they air. When they put the ads out there in the public eye, they should be held responsible for the material that they are broadcasting to the public. If that material is in any way fals, they should fix it as fast as possible.

• Advertising outlets are accountable.

Advertising outlets are obviously accountable for the ads that they put on the air. They control the message that they are putting onto the television and the radio and they know exactly how it will affect people. In this regard I believe that advertising outlets are accountable for what they put on the air.

• To An Extent

I believe advertising outlets should be accountable for the facts and accuracy of the ads they air or display. I think when it comes to basic advertising they should make sure that the ad is at least viable and up right to some degree. If a company wants to advertise something that isn't plausible or likely to be true, I think the outlets should ask questions to verify the ad.

• They're simply a conduit.

You cannot hold advertising outlets responsible for the content they air. They are simply a conduit for communication of ideas. The consumer has an obligation and responsibility to educate themselves on the claims a product makes. Furthermore, the government has a duty to ban or restrict products that violate regulations, thus ending the distribution of the ads.