Are airline regulations that specify what you carry onto an airplane too severe?

• Airline regulations are too severe.

Airline regulations are much too severe for what you can and can't bring on an airplane. The fact that they have limits for everything is ridiculous. You can't bring liquids of a certain volume, but as soon as you walk into the airport, you can purchase those same items from a gift shop. As a nursing mother, I also think that the airlines' condemnation of breast milk is deplorable.

Posted by: eldritch1
  • They don't regulate my weight - why my luggage?

It is fair for an airline to limit carry on volume for passengers so that all passengers will have room for their carry on. Two suitcases a piece allows each person the ability to bring luggage on. However, the micromanaging of the weight of each piece of luggage has no impact on the ability of other passengers to bring their own luggage. Yet an 80 pound woman takes up a seat for the same price as a 280 pound man. Why should the woman who requires less fuel to transport have to pay extra for a heavy makeup case 10 pounds heavier than the limit while the 280 pound man plus his luggage takes up comparatively more weight, up to 100 pounds more? To charge more for luggage based on weight of transport but not the people is hypocritical at best and price gouging at worst.

Posted by: Pir4And
  • Some regulation is necessary, but in many cases, the rules are ridiculous.

It makes sense to limit the size of carry-on luggage, and of course, to ban weapons. But to rummage through a purse and confiscate a small nail clipper, or require tiny sized toothpaste tubes and shampoo bottles is just over the top. All of the new rules and regulations have been reactions to things that already happened, as if terrorists are going to do the exact same thing again. If some crazy person is determined to create mayhem on an airplane, they will figure out a way to do it. The rest of the 99.999% of airline passengers who just want to travel in peace shouldn't have to put up with being treated like criminals.

Posted by: N Schroeder 60
  • I think that airline regulations that specify what you carry onto an airplane are too severe because we are told not to carry even a half liter bottle of water from home, which is ridiculous.

Recently on an international flight I was told to leave my bottle of water (1 liter) outside. On a long flight, air crew rarely give us enough water. I even volunteered to drink some to prove that it was only water but it was not allowed. I think that a passenger should be allowed to carry their own water. Airline staff are often very reluctant about serving more than a couple of glasses of water and we have to ask repeatedly. Not only that, when we reach our destination too often we may not be in a position to immediately purchase water. The rule about liquids is such as water or even juice is just too severe.

Posted by: babyblu4u
  • There is no ideal solution to security on an aircraft, but the excessive measures that inconvenience travels still haven't stop terrorists.

Taking a flight to another far away location used to be a bit of an adventure and was fun! With all the restrictions, it has became an ordeal instead of a wonderful experience. The flight used to be part of the vacation experience for many. Now it is inconvenient and downright difficult if traveling with children

Posted by: babydoll93
  • Yes air regulations are not too strict

Imagine a world with people bringing bombs, guns, deadly chemicals, knives, or deadly things that can wipe out an entire airport or air plane. If we didn't have these rules this is what it would be like in airports. These rules keep us all safe at airports. These rules also make it so that drugs or other illegal items can not go somewhere else. And this is why i say yes to these rules are not strict but there to protect the people and the staff at airports.

• Why the Huge Hassle?

I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE flying. Now I often find that I'm stressed, worried, and scared about the security checks. Believe it or not, I'm not going to kill someone with a 32 oz bottle of shampoo. Really? I dont want to spend any more money than I already have to. Some items should not be permitted, such as pocket knives (who else thinks that is pure ridiculousness?), but some should. MORE LIQUIDS!! What is the airline going to do when somebody dies of dehydration because they wouldn't allow a bottle of water? This makes many people uncomfortable, such as me. How am I supposed to feed my infant with no milk formula that I can bring? How am I supposed to bring the essential items I need? I mean come on. Flying used to be wonderful and now its just torture. I fear the next few years of security. For all we know, we wont be allowed to have hair!!! Overall, less strict=better!

• All these extra regulations have not caught one single alleged terrorist.

There was a guy who got onto an airplane with explosives in his shoes, and the current extra regulations failed to catch him. The same thing happened with the man who had explosives in his shoes. None of these regulations have ever detected one single terrorist the whole time they have been enforced.

Posted by: Regan22
  • Airline regulations for carry-ons should be less strict, because it wastes time and doesn't improve safety.

Since weapons and other dangerous items can be made from undetectable materials, it is a waste of time to search everyone's carry-on luggage. Basically, if there is a will, there is a way. For example, ceramic knives cannot be detected through ordinary searches. Increased security only provides the idea that there is safety, not actual safety.

Posted by: Iewie2cute
  • I believe the airline industry is doing what's right by instilling rules and regulations to keep the airplanes and travelers safe.

As a mother of two small children, yes, it was difficult to get through security two weeks ago when we traveled. I have an autistic child, and we were searched, as was his special needs stroller. It was stressful, but necessary. In the end, I knew my entire family was safe, the thoroughness made me frustrated for myself, but satisfied that once I boarded the airplane, my family would make it safely to our vacation destination.

Posted by: FrequentSal49
  • No, I don't think the regulations are too severe, because there are plenty of items that just do not belong on a plane.

I don't think the carry-on regulations are too severe. There are some items that shouldn't be allowed on a plane, and the laws are just telling you what they are, even when some are just common sense. The airports are just checking to make sure you don't have them. It's for the safety of everybody.

Posted by: NollBad
  • I do not think that airline regulations regarding carry-ons are too strict or severe, because the rules are there to protect everyone.

I do not think that airline regulation regarding what can and can not be brought onto a plane are too strict. Everything that has been put into place by airlines has been because of a specific reason. I feel that it is their obligation and responsibility to protect all of their passengers in any way they see necessary. As I can see from the recent past, these measures were warranted and are now necessary for the protection of everyone on that airplane.

Posted by: UnsuitableRigoberto99
  • I agree that the airlines must take all precautions.

There are many reasons that airlines have to take extra security measures. 9/11 just happens to fall into that category. If the airlines were to relax their policy there is reason to believe that a tragedy like that may occur again.

Posted by: lacedjeans
  • Now that restrictions have been scaled back a bit, they strike a reasonable balance.

Securing air travel is important enough, and difficult enough, that passengers should be asked to make some reasonable sacrifices; while the former ban on liquids was a bridge too far, the requirement, for instance, that liquids be confined to small containers seems thoroughly reasonable. People do not spend so long on an airplane flight that they need to have every possible convenience with them. Passengers requiring special exemptions can presumably communicate with the airline and security personnel to make accommodations for their needs, but the general requirement of keeping potentially dangerous material off planes is something to which people can and do adjust, especially since the standards are knowable in advance and people can pack and plan accordingly.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • No, regulations that prohibit certain items from being on an airplane are not too severe.

As long as the government is not dictating the regulations, any private airline company has the right to make their own rules, and I believe certain regulations are reasonable. But being that the Federal Transportation intervenes in the flying business, I do not support their regulatory actions. Only regulations enforced by the respective airline company. This is constitutionally just in my view.

Posted by: D Callahan
  • It makes it important to prioritize what you need in the place, Fed ex it if you need it.

Take lessons for those trying to get past these regulations. If they are doing things to this degree to get on, learn from them, and it get better. Don't bring specific things, don't do things in a particular way, if you do this, you are fine to get on a plane.

Posted by: Bear
  • I do not believe that the regulations onboard aircraft are too strict.

I think that there should be more intense regulations and the ones that already exist aren't too strict. Everybody's safety and well being is very important therefore strictness is something that shouldn't affect anybody in a negative way. Look at this as a good benefit to our own well being. Airlines are doing exactly what they should to keep us all safe.

Posted by: EmanBunny
  • Regulations of what you can take onboard an aircraft are not too strict.

When it comes to our safety I do not feel any airline regulations are too strict. They may be an inconvenience for some but there are more then just that one person on the plane. Airlines have to think about the safety of all of the passengers on the plane and if that has to inconvenience one or two individuals than so be it. If I was on the plane I would rather know that every precaution for my safety is being taken as opposed to being upset that I could not carry something against regulations on board. If an item is that important to you that you have to have it then I would suggest you put it in the baggage compartment and get a claim ticket.

Posted by: w00tboycomic