• SOCIAL MEDIA disease

People don't know how to communicate face to face anymore, write in cursive, recall important historical facts about our country that had made it what it is today, and recall if they are even MALE OR FEMALE. It's sad, and disgusting what our country is becoming. Makes me afraid to have kids of my own.

• SOCIAL MEDIA disease

• Yes, American college students are getting dumber.

I teach finance at a regional university. This week, I had to teach my class of sophomores - seniors that any number divided by one is equal to itself. Yes, you read that right: I had to teach that 2/1 = 2. But here is one even better: two days ago I did an exam review with my class. I told them basically "when you see this question, the answer is 'A.' Don't put 'B,' because 'B' is wrong." And yet today, after giving the exam and looking at the results, several students who were in class during the review answered 'B' for that particular question.

• American education system is stuck in the 18th century

When students' parents are farmers. Now we're deep into the 21st century. Technology has taken over the world. American education system doesn't work today and is considered backwards. As a result, Americans are getting dumber and dumber. I frequently saw Americans writing dates in the internet as "December 31th". 31th?? Seriously, how do you read that?? The United States scored rock bottom in math, science and reading tests, which are all topped by China. Americans can't compete with Chinese and Indians for professions in key and critical industries. Now America has a hedonism-centred society which makes America even more backwards. China and India are producing more world class scientists and engineers, while United States are producing more world class athletes and entertainers - that shows where American priorities are. In the future, America will be light-years behind China and India. China and India may be already have permanent colonies on Mars, while at the same time America is still stuck on Earth.

• I am a HS teacher

At least once a week, I am nearly brought to tears. The apathy is disheartening, my students don't know (can't comprehend) the severity of their situation. This is my 12th and probably my final year in education. I may attempt to teach abroad, but I'm pretty sure I won't make it another year in the states.

• As a freshmen educator

Sadly they are either getting dumber or lazier or both. I work in a small college teaching freshmen as well as working with student employees. It is sad how uninterested they are and how unwilling they are to critically think on their own. College used to be a privilege not an extension to high school. It feels like they need a lot more hand holding. The student workers need everything explicitly explained to them, whether its something amazingly simple like using a paper cutter or something more complicated like using creativity to make a display. I don't know if it's just an age thing but I am truly not much older than them and am really at a loss for what is going on.

• Yes they are

Plain and simple. Ask them questions about geography, history or science and most of them can't answer correctly or can't answer at all. Most of them don't even have common sense. And I don't really believe that they're stupid, I believe they aren't taught properly and the younger generation of teachers don't seem to know much more. They will tell you that more people today attend college than ever before. Big deal. When I was a student you needed high grades to get in, now anyone can attend. We are behind most of the world in education, pretty sad.

• Yes, Americans are getting "dumber."

I love my students dearly, but after spending time with them in the classroom setting (I am a counselor) I feel like I am trying to teach a topic to a room full of zombies. They struggle to pay attention (usually because they are on their cell phones or fighting sleep), their memories are zilch, and they don't have any interest in ANYTHING of substance. Their frustration levels are really high-most of them have a serious aversion to doing anything that requires more than a minimal amount of effort. Many of them can't think critically--I'm serious--their problem-solving skills are next to nothing. I work in an academy where the students are taking advanced curriculum. We have "standards based grading" which is really just a way to make the average students look good and the remaining students be able to pass. I think our education system is in a shambles. Most kids want to do well--they really do. But they just struggle. They are either unmotivated or motivated but don't have the stamina to work hard. So they give up and retreat to some mindless activity they can access on their cell phone...

There are many culprits: Technology is great but it is misused. It creates neural pathways that are wired for instant gratification, and to seek answers outside of oneself rather than figuring things out on your own. Also, there is growing concern and research that suggests that electromagnetic radiation from cell phones and Wi-Fi negatively affect brain activity. My "smart" school district gives every 6-12 grade student their own personal brain-death machine oops, I mean I-Pad. Almost every kid and student has a cell phone, and now we have 2,000 I-Pads in one building. Our staff and students are spending 8 hours a day in a giant microwave.

Also, parenting. Many poor families are too stressed and/or are lacking skills and knowledge to properly guide their child's education. Middle class and upper middle class parents are too focused on work, and come home tired and drained, and let the TV and I-Pad babysit their kids so they can get some rest. Rich parents are off galavanting and conquering and leave their children's educational and social development to nannies. These are stereotypes and obviously don't apply to all people in these categories, I'm just showing that our nation is more focused on earning money than raising healthy well-rounded children and stable family life. Our children are being raised by teachers, school counselor/social workers and the T.V. set.

Generally TV shows and media pander to the lowest common denominator and people who are intellectual, spiritual, and wellness-oriented struggle to find anything of substance on TV.

We really need to examine what our culture has become in this country. Its the degradation of society as a whole that has caused problems in our schools.

• Educational Funding is being put into Phantom Enemy

The reason that children are getting lazier/ less intelligent is because of Parental lack of engagement with their children. Its also due largely in part to the educational budget getting slashed, while the federal state and city governments dump billions of dollars to fight "sexual predators". Not only has this practice been shown not to work, but it is stealing federal and local funding that could be going to upgrading schools, enhancing education and providing relief for burnt out teachers.
    Write your local politicians and tell them to stop fighting an illusion and put the money where it needs to be put, to help our children.

• How many letters in the alphabet?

I am a high school science teacher (Chemistry and Earth Science). When introducing the concept that a handful of common elements (20 or so abundant elements, or the entire periodic table of 118 elements) creates all the matter around us, I relate it to the alphabet with 26 letters being used to create millions of different words. I always ask my students how many letters there are in the alphabet and I usually get a range of answers from 20 to about 32. The first time this happened was a very enlightening experience. Students have little capacity to memorize anything. This is not helped by curriculum developers who suggest that the answer is to give them more projects (create posters, brochures, presentations, design and conduct an experiment from scratch, etc.) and let them look everything up. The idea in education seems to be give them a large project to do and they will get the basics along the way. The problem is, without the basics most students have no clue how to begin such a projects and then miss all the basic information, or look up and use the wrong basic information.

I also teach a lot of dimensional analysis and most of my high school juniors and seniors cannot multiply fractions. I don't even ask them to do it without a calculator, but then I see many students who (after days or weeks of practice) cannot input the numbers into the calculator correctly. Many students simply look for the easiest way out. They treat most school assignments like they are simply filling out forms, and if they can look online and find information to put in those forms, they do.

One last note. Where I teach it is nearly impossible for a student to fail. We have at least four 2nd chance recovery options. There's an afterschool recovery program for each subject; a Saturday school program; summer school; and a recovery class where they can repeat a course online. I have students every year that swear those options are easier and fail on purpose. In other words, nothing too severe happens if a student fails, so why put in the extra work?

Last, but certainly not least. I have been shocked by the severe lack of computer knowledge in my students. Sure, they can Tweet, and text, send pictures on social media, and find anything you want on Youtube or Netflix, but if I ask them to scan a document and email it too me I may as well be speaking in a foreign language. Better yet, try to get students to remember a username and password combination for a site. Good luck with that one.

• If you put the effort in you would be more intelligent.

People aren't getting dumber, they are getting lazier. Everyone has access to tons of information on the internet, and in libraries among other places. Its not that people are too dumb to seek information, its that they are too lazy and do not see the point. We can change that

• The educational system is just failing us.

The first point where the educational system is failing us is that we are not gearing our classrooms for the kind of learning that these kids need to be doing. We are teaching to the tests and giving them the impression that all that really matters is that they pass those tests, leading to a situation where they are only learning to pass the tests instead of learning for a successful life.

Another thing that we're really failing on is that what we do is force our kids in their last two or three years of high school to learn a bunch of junk that the vast majority of them will never use. It used to be that you had to have a science course or two, Algebra and another math or two, and a social studies course or two. Now we're practically forcing our kids to go through trigonometry in math, take three to five science courses, and a bunch of social studies courses. We're shoving so much junk that they don't need into their heads that the simple stuff they do need is going through atrophy.

People keep arguing about how we have to do this to compete with other countries. What they miss is that most other countries that we're competing with aren't including everybody. A lot of European countries, for example, don't force everybody to go to school until they're eighteen. Only the smartest or most ambitious stay in school after about sixteen in a lot of these countries.

oddcharm says2014-05-17T17:09:19.390
Does debate.Org respect contributors privacy? Methinks not!