Are Americans more concerned with 2nd amendment rights (yes) or giving up the gun (no)?

Asked by: JRM
  • But they're linked

The debate in the US about gun control is similar to almost every debate about an issue in the US - ideological. Ideological arguments for or against something is often non-productive or counter-productive, but its the heart of debate in the US. Still, the idea that people's rights are being persecuted is also about their love of the physical objects.

• We still love freedom.

Yes, Americans are more concerned with 2nd amendment rights than they are with giving up the gun, because they still believe in the constitution. The constitution is still very clear about what should happen as far as gun rights are concerned. The vast majority of people still believe in these principles, and believe that Americans should have guns for self-defense and for hunting.

• We never want to lose our rights.

I think this question could go both ways; however, I would like to think that most Americans are more concerned with the general idea of having their rights taken from them, as opposed to simply losing their guns. The last thing any American deserves is to lose the rights given to us.

• More Americans are concerned with 2nd amendment rights.

More Americans are concerned with 2nd amendment rights. Without the 2nd amendment we would not be allowed to have guns in the first place. We should be allowed to carry our guns in order to protect ourselves and our families. We should not be allowed to carry a gun if we are going to harm someone with it.

• Yes, Americans are more concerned with 2nd amendment rights.

I understand we have our right to bear arms, but when that right is abused, something is not right in the world. Guns should be for hunting, and hunting only. It is a shame to use an amendment for your own personal gain. The Americans tend to abuse guns because it is their "right."

• I did not ask this question!

I didn't ask the question however, if you wish to comment be my guest. Amendments are meant for amending. We need to update the amendments. Guns are made for killing. Americans need to decide whats ok to kill and what types of guns do you need to kill with. Then the big question is who should or shouldn't be allowed to own guns. Then a huge question would be, are people who fight for guns kinda sick minded or do they really have good reason for owning guns. Why are people so defensive when gun laws are brought up? Also we should ask if people have been persuaded by the corporations (and organizations) that sell guns by instilling fear of bad cops, robbers and corrupt government in their heads. Hmmm good question!

Posted by: JRM

• American's need for power

I think that people don't care about the 2nd amendment they only care about owning as many guns as they want. Americans have to much freedom. I'm surprised they haven't passed a amendment that protects the right to murder someone. Because guns and murder are two peas in the same pod

• They just want the gun

The only reason gun enthusiasts point to the second amendment is because they don't actually have a rational argument as to why they need guns, so they fall back on an outdated document and go into a fake tirade about how anybody who'd go against it is un-American. They care about being able to shoot things, they don't care about the constitution. It's just a convenient buzzword to use to redirect the focus of the "debate."

• We want people to be safe

This is a hard one. Depending on what part of the country or what news station you view the opinions vary quite a bit. I think what everyone has in common is that we want people to be safe. The different views just show that they think this can be achieved in different ways. The Bill of Rights was adopted in 1791. We deserve rights. That is what America is but we need to take into account the issues of today.

• We want people to be safe

This is a hard one. Depending on what part of the country or what news station you view the opinions vary quite a bit. I think what everyone has in common is that we want people to be safe. The different views just show that they think this can be achieved in different ways. The Bill of Rights was adopted in 1791. We deserve rights. That is what America is but we need to take into account the issues of today