• It is very sad!

It is incredibly sad. As I scroll through the opinion questions, the most hits are on anything related to guns. The obsession is out of control. Guns are not something to be proud of. People hurt people with guns. I hope in the very near future we Americans can focus on more humane issues such as basic needs for human beings. This land is "the land of opportunity" not the land of guns. America needs rehab for gun addiction. Look at the words people used towards each other when the talk (threat) of taking the guns away started. Its just like taking an addicts vice away. Please get help before we destroy America!

Posted by: JRM
  • I believe that Americans are definitely obsessed with guns.

I believe that Americans are definitely obsessed with guns. It seems like almost everyone in America
    wants a gun. Hunters want guns in order
    to hunt animals. Gun collectors want
    guns to add to their collections.
    Parents want guns so that they can protect their families. And, criminals want guns to commit crimes.

• Some are yes.

America is in love with the second amendment and the right to own as money guns as you want. Even members of the Democratic party tend to love guns. This country loves guns so much that they won't even pass legislation that says that you have to pass a background check for every gun purchase. They are obsessed.

• Americans are obsessed with guns.

Many Americans are obsessed with the right to own a firearm. Most other countries have acccepted that it is too dangerous to own a gun. Despite many high profile news stories about mass shootings, many Americans still refuse to admit the danger of guns. Clearly, there is a national obsession with guns.

• This country should be ashamed....

We need to all grow up (it's been over 200 years people) and adopt laws similar to the UK, Germany and Australia. When tragedy happens again and again, and we continue to do nothing about it there is something wrong with us. We look like psychopaths to the rest of the world. Just a broken record continuing to make the same stupid mistake over and over and over and over and over again.

• Yes Americans are obsessed with guns.

Obsession is not exactly the word I would use, but us as Americans rely way too heavily on guns in our every day lives. I completely understand the feeling of wanting to be protected, but what about the people who use guns to threaten people? Or people that go to rallies and want to keep all 150 of their guns when they're not all needed for protection.

• Yes, American culture relies too heavily on guns for personal protection.

It is all America's second amendment right to own guns in order to protect one's family and property. However, many Americans own multiple guns, including automatic weapons, rifles and shot guns. A simple hand gun would serve the purpose of protecting one's home. There is no need for an army's worth of weapons.

• Always have been

Just take a look at any of their prepper/survivalist publications and notice their first thought is guns, ammo, knives and more guns, oh and if you have room, remember to have some water available, but for sure you need a couple handguns, a shotgun, an assault rifle, a sniper rifle and a machine gun and don't forget to store more ammunition than some countries defense forces.

• Obsession is out of control

How many shootings does America need to face the picture that gun violence is out of control? The fact that it is now a common occurrence to have massacres due to guns is appalling and unacceptable.

Other countries look at us and they must be shaking their heads in disbelief in how America is so hell bent on having guns. They must wonder about how many tragedies need to occur for legislation to take place to deter violence.

Wake up America. Stop the Violence. Stop the hate. Stop the obsession with guns.

• Americans don't want to believe it's so

They very much love guns to the point that they truly believe it brings safety to their home. All weapons were made in order to kill anything that puts a person in danger of death, it was never made with the intent of using it to protect children. Yes there are criminals out there but truly how often does someone break into your home? If you can afford two guns then you can afford a contract with a security service. I think Americans use the excuse that their freedom is at stake to mask the fact that a gun gives them a sense of empowerment no other object could come close to. If you truly need a gun to protect yourself then why do live in a area where your life is in constant risk. If USA is the land of opportunity then surely there is more land out there to take your opportunity. Or maybe Americans should agree that it's time to give up guns, slowly but surely the number of gun crimes will drop. It will take years but it's a sacrifice you as an American have to make in order to build a greater and safer future for your children. If it can't work out for you then it's time you leave USA and actually go somewhere the life of a human being is worth a damn!

• Americans are not obsessed with guns.

Americans are not obsessed with guns. I think that Americans just want to be able to provide safety to themselves and their families. With more violence happening with guns being the weapon of choice that is just a coincidence. I think Americans should be allowed to protect themselves no matter where they go.

• No, I do not believe that Americans are obsessed with guns.

No, I do not believe that Americans are obsessed with guns. They are just taking advantage of their right to bare arms, and in today's society I totally agree with that reasoning. People need fire arms to defend themselves from the bad people who also carry them. Its the only way to be safe.

• No, they are not.

I do not think it would be fair to say Americans are obsessed with guns. The statement is much too broad and generalized; not all Americans care for, or even own a gun. Are there some people who are? Of course, but I am sure you can find that elsewhere as well.

• Welcome to America

People talk about freedom all the time, but what they are really speaking of is liberty. Liberty is absolute freedom from others demands. The best way that I can explain it is in the words of John Norman. " Within the reach of ones own sword tip, every man is a king". Personally I chose to take responsibility for my self.

• Guns are only an asset to the problem.

I can agree that guns are very much poorly regulated, getting into the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, but guns are only a part of the problem. The problem is that many people have become obsessed with killing, and destruction. You give that person a gun, you are essentially giving them power for an easier way to kill.

• Not all of us are obsessed with guns.

What you see on the news is not america as a whole. What you see on the news is only the radical people who shoot other people and use guns for harm, and that's maybe 7 or 8 a week out of a billion people approximately? What you are saying about guns is similar to the Muslims plight. We only see the terrorist Muslims in our movies, books, and news stations, but does that mean all Muslims are bad and should be eradicated? We have already obsessed about safety, Dulling all the playgrounds, and arresting people because their child was out of sight, even ordering surveillance of all our electronic devices. Must we really destroy all guns because thats what the media (Who knows fear sells) puts in front of us?