• Why is this even an agument?

I've seen alot of cases of this, I've seen a chimpanzee see her own dead infant, she seemed to be in denial, and seemed to keep trying to wake him up, but in the end she accepted it, I've seen a gorilla cry over the loss of her pet kitten, it was quite sad, i've also seen the same gorilla be sad over robin williams death, it's obvious non human animals are capable of love.

• Animals Love Too

Have you seen how an animal can risk their life for another? Some animals give so much for their friends. Plus, some people believe albatrosses are more capable of love than us humans are. That proves that animals can and do love. There is no other substitute for the actions some take for others.

• Yes Animals Do Love

I have no doubt that animals are capable of love. How many stories are filled with pets who follow their companions thousands of miles if they happened to be left behind. Two years ago I adopted a kitten (or she adopted me?) and she is so sensitive to my moods. She is very loving, and when I go somewhere, she gets very upset and meows for me, even with other family members at home.

• Love transcends human species.

How bold to pretend to be unique. Animals are able to feel & share love!
    Simply by observing animals within their environments one understands the sense of love. Protection, care & mutual affection clearly are signs of love. What differs is certainly the way of externalizing such love that can be interpreted by some (belonging to a given species) but still mysterious to others. There lays the magic of love.

• Most animals demonstrate loving behavior towards their young.

Most animals, especially female mammals, demonstrate protective and loving behavior towards their young. Chimpanzee will groom their offspring and cuddle them, and elephants will mourn the death of a family member. Dogs will respond to your love and care by being loyal and reciprocate when you are feeling down and out by lying at your feet or keep you in close company.

• Animals are definitely capable of love.

Animals are most definitely capable of love. All species, in fact, are very capable of the feeling of love. Just as humans experiences feelings, so do animals. One only has to observe an animal when they are responding to the humans around them. You can easily see the love or dislike, whichever the case may be. Their feelings are demonstrated to other animals as well.

• what is love

they can have life long relationships
    nurture their babies
    groom each other etc.

but love itself is a rather abstract concept anyway

are humans capable of love ? is a very similar question

on balance though dsspite not having a great definition of love I think it is safe to say that animals show the whole range of emotions that we do, and therefore it is not hard to imagine that they love as well

penguins keep coming to mind !

• If you have any doubt of this, go get a pet.

If you have any doubt of this, go get a pet. Cats and dogs have always given nothing but beautiful, selfless love. I believe they posses more love than actual human beings. They are the most giving creatures in this universe and I totally think they're capable of empathy and sympathy as well.

MasturDbtor says2013-03-26T19:03:31.927
First, what does love mean? Sure I think I know what it means, but what if I'm mislabeling my feelings? It's not like I can take my feelings out and literally show them to people. We can only 'know' each other's feelings by body language, which what if it's not really "love" but another feeling that we are all just conditioned to label "love" and conditioned to react to that feeling a certain way. Our concept of "love" could be a collectively shared illusion. The feeling itself may be natural, organic, born-with-it, but yet the conceptualization of said feeling as "love" and the set of behavioral responses and cues that go along with it could nevertheless be learned. Regardless we must clearly define what "love" is what conditions have to be met (not the brain chemistry involved as we had the concept of "love" long before neuroscience and what we label "love" in a laboratory could just refer to something we've mistakenly been labeling "love") in order for something to be considered "love".
Only after answering what "love" really is can we then get to the question of whether animals are capable of it.