• Anti-bullying programs in school are effective

It teaches students to be more empathy and to speak up when bullying is happening. Its not snitching its being honest,helpful,and caring of others(if u don't then they will have lots of depression and commit suicide).ALSO if u think its wasting time its not its like saying math or ela is a waste of time

• An imperfect but necessary alternative

In the long-run, anti-bullying in schools will be effective. One of the main reasons that kids continue to bully is the belief by adults that kids can often be selfish and mean. As a result, we tend to be too passive when it comes to addressing bullying. However, if we raise kids to believe that bullying is wrong and does have consequences, I believe that we are making a long-term change in the way we view bullying.

• Yes, they do work.

Bullies are usually a small subset of the school's students and anti-bullying programs can work by putting social pressure on the bullies. I think the general population of students are reluctant to speak up whether they are being bullied or they see it happening to another. A program that addresses the problem of bullying in a public arena gets the subject out in the open and encourages students to be more aware of and proactive against the bullying.

• Made things worse

After bullying was reported to school, they made excuses for bully. Then had a "talk" with her. The bullying increased in much more subtle ways. The school keeps boldly stating that it is a bully free zone, they keep making grand claims to stop bullying if it is reported. Yet they cannot. This just tells the victims that the system can't be trusted, which leads to even more hopelessness. Much money is being put into anti bullying programs, yet staff keep losing jobs due to budget cuts. Makes more sense to keep the staff and have much better supervision. Bullies typically won't bully if an adult is around that may witness it.

• Not enough enforcement and training.

Anti-bullying programs in schools do not provide enough training to teachers, students, bus drivers, lunch ladies, custodian, etc. to recognize bullying, therefore there is not enough enforcement of the policy. If the schools/school district would provide more training to everybody involved with the school, I could see the bullying rates declining over the course of a few years.

• Not enough enforcement and training.

• As a matter of fact...

No! They are not! Teachers somehow think that if a child is bullied, they will come up to them and explicitly say that they are being bullied, which is not true. I was bullied last year, and i didn't tell a teacher for two reasons: 1.I felt like i was being weak, and 2. Every time I did, the bully payed no attention whatsoever and continued to bully me until the principal got involved.

• They need to focus more on affecting, not learning.

It's nice to have a bully-safe program, but when your kids go to a public school? Not really. They should focus on where, when, and why it happens, so the instructors can teach every kid who comes about how to stay safe from being bullied, or even becoming the bully.

• We Need Stronger Penalties, Not More Posters

Troublemakers are going to make trouble no matter how many assemblies, pictures or campaigns are in schools, per my 11 and 10 year old kids. The key is to defend against them. There must be penalties. Administrators are afraid to punish kids. In many households that bullies come from, the penal system is weak as well. Awareness is good, but it won't eliminate the problem.

• Talk is cheap

As long as the victim of bullying is told to ignore it and walk away' bullies will continue to destroy the confidence and self-esteem of other kids. Why should any child have to put up with nasty bullies? Target the bullies - make them accountable for their actions, make them face the real consequences of their actions, invest in school counselling for the bullies, involve their parents !

• Anti bully programs are more of a title teachers can do same ideas without having to pay for useless programs.

Goverment has a 14 trillion dollar debt and expensive programs like anti bullying is really not necessary because why do schools need to pay for a program to be against bullying. To help get rid of debt for future generation getting rid of programs like this is vital. We need to save money and get rid of useless programs.

• No, they waste class time.

No, anti-bullying programs in schools are not effective, because some people will not be nice to each other, no matter what you do. Anti-bullying programs take up large amounts of class time, and junior high students simply do not know how to be kind to each other. Bullying continues into the work place. No amount of training can make people be nice.

• They should be reformed.

I don't know how these programs are in any place other than Spain, so I'm only talking about my country's. In my (obviously short) personal experience, they haven't done any good at all - this is because they just send little messages most kids forget about soon.

Education starts at home, so these are one of the places that require attention. Parents must be aware of the importance of empathy in the very early ages, and thus educate their children accordingly.

Teachers and other educators are important too, but the schools environments usually are one teacher paying attention to about 30 students. They will never be such an influential figure as the parents are.

I bet professionals in the area may have a lot more to propose.