• Absolute Garbage Program

The classes were rushed and we were taught to study for the test, Material was not valued and there was no interest in it, a learning is crafted through interest, not cramming for a test. Students should find the material interesting if they want to retain it, learning does not come as cramming, You'll only puke the information into the test then forget about it for the rest of your life, that is not how education and these courses should be.

• Totally useless, overrated

Much like many of the other posters, I took and passed many AP classes. I had no idea at the time that top tier universities didn't take over 75%of those classes. It really is misleading and misguided to think the additional stress caused by these courses are really going to somehow provide an automatic gateway to success in adulthood and academia.

• Yes they are

Advanced courses require heavier workloads and strenuous hours. High school students with an ambition to pursue the best of colleges are likely to take three to five AP courses in order to get into a better college. The reading level in AP classes is higher than most students have been exposed to, and not being able to understand this material leads to stress and ultimately acting out or self harm.

• Too situational to be useful

Not only is there no guarantee that you'll even get the credit(s), there are several circumstances where, even on the off chance that you get the credit, you won't be able to use them. Due to the fact that most private institutions don't count them, you are essentially stuck in your state's public school if you wish to use them. Also, these are pushed very assertively in public schools, and highschool age teens, like myself, are locked in a courseload they may not have the mental capacity or interest to be successful in. This makes no sense, because in some areas, you can be locked in from the sixth or FIFTH GRADE, which is plenty of time to realize you aren't right for these classes. I have been locked in every core subject just going into my freshman year of high school, and working my hindquarters off sadly doesn't even give me security anymore. I say the schools need to stop overestimating the importance of APs, and focus on other things to do with that government funding.

• A useless excuse to "look good" on paper.

I believe AP classes are useless and they only provide a status symbol for the "Intelligent people". The average person does not need A.P classes to get accepted into a university, they are over hyped. If one has a good overall un-weighed grade point average and weighed grade point average he can save all that stress and time instead of taking a useless rigorous "Advanced Placement" class.

• Not Worth It

I've taken many AP classes, and I regret taking all of them. People take AP classes for all the wrong reasons. You shouldn't take it just to earn college credit, that's not how it works. You have to truly be interested in the course. And people take courses they think they will take in college, but when you think about it, if you take AP Biology, and you major in Biology, you are still going to have to take a Biology course. So, college credit should not be the reason you take them, if it is you won't do well in the class. You have to be interested in it.

• Obviously They Are Overrated!

I understand that a student can earn college credit by getting a sufficient grade on the AP Exam. However, not all colleges award credit to undergraduates. Darmouth (an IVY LEAGUE college!!) no longer will accept the AP credits, and I am sure that other schools will soon follow. So what's the point of working your butt off with hours of homework and stress for no definite benefit/reward/credit???

• AP classes don't do any good for students

AP classes are just useless material. It is proven by trustworthy sources that AP classes don't do any *additional* good for students. Maybe it does help people with their grades, but the exams and homework can also be way too much for kids to handle. If you wanted to be stressed and frustrated then you could just put yourself in college instead, but nobody wants to be in an environment that makes them uncomfortable. It is human nature to NOT be self-concerned all of the time, so why should you pay to be embarrassed?

• Very Much So

Yes, AP classes re overrated. AP classes are nothing more than a status symbol among high schools. Advanced Placement classes do nothing but increase a high school student’s work load and stress level. Average high school classes will get a student into college just as well as AP classes. AP classes will have no effect on tuition, class ranking or your college career – the only thing they really have going for them is the status – you can say you took them.

• Yes

Yes I do think they are overrated. I took several in high school, earning A's in them, but do not think they prepared me any more for college than a regular class would. I think AP classes are too often stressed as the "best and only" classes to take if you want to go to college and it just isn't true.

• Absolute Garbage Program

• They are so helpful in the right situations.

Okay so I am currently taking two AP courses, AP Language and Composition and AP U.S. History. Last year I took AP World History. I love to write and I love history, so those are both obviously good choices. Well I like the AP methods of teaching, you don't have to be super smart or privileged to do well. I am definitely not the smartest kid in my class but I have noticed that my essays have gotten increasingly better written and if I do say so myself, that is a HUGE advantage to have in college. In AP World last year, I did take the test and I failed, but it was my first AP exam it gave me experience to what I should be expecting in my future years. I only plan to take AP Lang this year though for personal reasons but I think that it will do me good in college to have taken the courses I have.

• AP Classes Are Worth It

I was one of those students that took every AP course available during 11th/12th grade. AP Chemistry was the most valuable course since I was able to skip 10 hours of Gen Chem. I was able to graduate college with a Biochemistry degree in 3 years.

From what I remember, the classes were challenging in content and time management. I didn't choose to take all the tests but the discipline in studying daily helped prepare me for college better than my peers. I actually thought AP Physics was tougher than college-level physics.

If I had to do high school again, I would still take AP courses. After it got me to where I am today - working as an internal medicine physician.

• Depends on the school

I think that AP classes are overrated in difficulty depending on the school, and more specifically the class. For example, someone who gets an A in the class but gets a 2 on the test says a lot about the class. That may also have to do with the student, however.

This sounds like I think that they are completely overrated, but they have some good parts. You actually do learn more, and I don't see how anyone who has taken a regular course and an AP course can argue against that. I learned more in a semester of AP Chemistry than when I took a full year of regular chemistry. You learn more in AP World History than in regular World History. I feel like you can't argue against these.

And then everyone reading this should know about college credit and weighed GPAs and all that, so im not even going to get into it...

• Depends What Kind of Course You Take

I'm choosing to take 4 courses next year but it it reasonable to choose the ones you enjoy. I'm taking Calculus, Bio, Psych and French. Many teachers recommended English but I declined. It's only useless if you wasted your money on the tests. It is better to be prepared and look at the prerequisites so you don't waste your money. Everything from College Board is overrated to an extent. It also gives a boost in college admissions (if you do great).

• No AP classes are great in the right context

AP classes are not over rated. They should not be viewed as classes just for smart kids but rather as a chance to get ahead in college. College is expensive and time consuming. If you can get classes out of the way before even getting there this can be a big help.

• No

I believe AP classes can only help a student prepare for college. If the student is wanting to take the course, they want to challenge themselves. There is nothing overrated about wanting to challenge yourself further before you take on college. The only thing achieved through AP classes is greater success.

• AP Classes Helped Prepare Me for College

I took a couple of AP classes while I was in high school. I believe that they made a large difference in my performance as a freshman in college. My writing, research, and analytical abilities were much more developed than they would have been otherwise. I performed above average in my courses, which I believe set me on a path to success later on.