• If used with moderation.

I don't see a problem with artificial sweeteners, as long as you don't go overboard. If you are one of those people that drinks about eight cans of soda everyday, then you are going to have problems regardless. At that point it won't much matter if the soda you drink has artificial sweetener or sugar.

• Yes, artificial sweeteners are safe.

I think that artificial sweeteners are safe for the most part. I do not see any reason why they wouldn't be. I think that a lot of people have been using them with success and with no problems. I think that unless there have been more evidence to suggest otherwise, they are safe.

• Long term, we don't know

Although the FDA has approved the use of artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, malitol, mannitol, aspartame etc, there are still scientists researching the long-term effects of using them. The Mayo clinic has concluded that some artificial sweeteners are safe for pregnant women if used in small doses. Ultimately we don't know what the effects will be on our health, and since they are chemical sweeteners, even those derived from natural sources, they could be potentially harmful.

• No, they are not

Now that there have been extensive studies done on most artificial sweeteners, it has been proved that they are not safe. In fact, many of them have fattening effects in spite of having zero calories and others have been shown to be poisonous to the human body. It's causing sales to plummet.