• Anyone who declares a Belief Claim is a Philosophy is arrogant:

The modern atheist is an idiot. Atheism is not a movement. Atheism is not a religious stance. Atheism is not even a complete idea. The fact that the term "Atheist" has connotations is idiotic particularly because it doesn't actually mean anything on it's own relative to an actual valid point.

It's not even an arguable state; the whole "Atheist v Theist" standard doesn't make sense particularly because the Atheist side often has incomplete theological or even philosophical standing primarily because their entire mentality centers around a rather frivolous stand-alone statement.

To make this explicitly clear this is equivalent to saying "I don't believe in aliens" and having that mean that you are also a genius, a rational thinker, and a scholar. Now who wouldn't want to look that way just by making a simple statement which may or may not have rational basis? It's a win/win. You don't have to know what you're talking about AND you get perks just for wearing a worthless label.

• Intellectually Arrogant, Yes

Generally, they will not read the history and literature of the religious cultures they despise. I was an atheist for 33 years. I read everything. Now I meet atheists who refuse to even read the history of the Jews, or even understand how the Bible was written and why. Ideology.

• No, but knowers are.

I think your tarring all athiests with the same brush here. I would agree if what you were saying was that those who prefess to 'know' weather God does or does not exist are arrogant. But their are athiests and religious people out their who believe, and believing and knowing are two different things.

I am open agnostic, I try to listen to all arguments and judge them on what's said and not on who's saying them.

The reason I have decided to be agnostic about religion is because of a question that I believe plagues all our minds (those who don't profess to 'know'), and that is, how did it all begin? Absolutely everything has a begging and an ending, if that's so, then what preceeded us? People will no doubt say, "the big bang" or "God" but if that's so, then I ask, what made them? Why was there a big bang in the first place? What or who created God? When I think about these questions, I think (personally) that it is impossible to know.

I'm dyslexic by the way, so sorry for any grammatical mistakes!

• No, but knowers are.

• You should hear some of them.

They'll basically deny anything that means God MIGHT exist.

One told me that the cause of time didn't have to be above time. Something that made time can be under time?

One told me that I spread hate, and that they hope I die a horrible death. I said I love them. It's so hypocritical.

One told me that Jesus never existed. Yet there are 1st and 2nd century mentions of him...

• Ignorant? No... Arrogant? Depends on the Atheist.

Ignorance is independent. Most of the Atheists I am aware of are more public figures. And then tend to carry themselves as arrogant. (They may not be though.)

I don't know many personally, but they don't tend to be any more or less arrogant than any othe person. Most of the Christians I know do teND to be more arrogant based on a sense of entitlement. They believe they are right therefore they are. Just because you believe something doesn't always make it true.

• Treating Intellectual Theists as if they are children

Simply a lack of respect in tone and approach to very intelligent and erudite theists with impeccable credentials. They have also created a following that actually follows. One only has to look at debate comments on YouTube debates for evidence of this. Of course Ad-Hominem attacks are not the sole domain of atheists by any means, but they far outnumber theists. This demonstrates a breathtaking arrogance and disregard for other's opinions and even baseline intellect. In fact that seems to be Modus Operandi for even debaters like Richard Dawkins when he is not forced to be logical by the rules of debating. His Ad-Hominem attacks on Christians and other theists are well established and have definitely empowered and mentored his followers. His refusal to debate William Lane Craig was a classic example of this.

Posted by: TimR
  • Atheists just deny anything that suggests god exists

Let's face it, the average atheist thinks that anyone who believes in god is ignorant. Whereas in fact it is them who need to be more open minded. Their theories behind the creation of us and the universe aren't really complete either. Sure, the Big Bang most likely created everything, but what caused the Big Bang? Atheists can't answer that question. Sure, with the rapid development of the modern world and more and more scientific discoveries being made, the fact that some people stopped believing in god is understandable. But atheists really need to become more open minded.

• Atheists just deny anything that suggests god exists. And that seems like arrogance to me .

Let's face it, the average atheist thinks that anyone who follows religion is igronant. Whereas in fact, it is them who need to be more open minded. Sure, it was most likely the Big Bang that created everything, but what caused the Big Bang? Atheists can't answer that question. Science has proven a lot of things recently, and it's understandable that some people stopped believing in god, but atheists really need to become more open-minded.

• Atheists are not ignorant.

I as an atheist beleive this is completely wrong. I'm in no way ignorant. I have learned about several religions, read the Bible and the Quran too. Just because I don't beleive in god does not mean I am ignorant.

I usually find other people who are also atheists are the same. They have learned about religion at some point or other to one to the conclution that they don't beleive in god and to also be able to explain why that is.

• That is ironic.

Calling an atheist arrogant is quite ironic. Atheists are open minded and will gladly accept theories given enough evidence. For example, gravity, evolution and the age of the earth.
    Contrarily, a religious person will often say he knows when the earth was created, when the universe was created, how it was created and more while giving a literal absence of evidence to support their extraordinary claims.
    As you can see, calling an atheist arrogant is completely false while it can be applied easily to most religious people.

• I completely disagree.

Atheists aren't arrogant, if anything, CHRISTIANS are. Whenever they ask us what church we go, and we try to tell them that we don't go to church because we don't believe in a god, they tell us that we're going to be eternally tortured in a pit of lava and death and that we deserve every second of it for not believing in their "god"

• No correlation here

Atheists are about as arrogant as theists.​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​

• Well, sure some of them are.

But there is no correlation between atheism and arrogance. Atheism is simply the lack of theism. Theism does not make people less arrogant. It isn't even something that matters much. Atheists are the same as theists except they lack the belief in deities. That's all. Personalities don't hinge on belief.

• Atheists are not arrogant.

First of all, lets review what atheist actually means. Atheist comes from the greek prefix "a" which means "without", and the suffix "theos" which means "God". So "a" + "theos (theist)" = "Without God". Therefore, anyone who doesn't hold a beleif in a God is an atheist. ANYONE. Even babies!

A person's stance on whether a God can or cannot exist depends on an atheist. Some atheists, implicit atheists, simply don't believe in God. Other atheists, explicit atheists, deny the existance of a deity completely. There is also agnostic atheism, which is a combination of agnosticism, which is the position that the existance of a God or gods is not known, and may not be knowable; and atheism, which we covered in the first portion of this rebuttal.

To the original question concerning whether or not atheists are arrogant, I'd say no. It is impossible to generalize ALL atheists because there is no central authority concerning atheism, which is also why ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION.

• Atheists are not arrogant.

• Not necessarily ...

I am a Christian, and have known far more arrogant Christians than Atheists. However, this could be generalized with any belief system, because everyone believes that they are in the right.

Before becoming a believer in Christ, I studied many religions and read different holy scriptures. I studied the teachings of many philosophers and teachers of ancient to modern times. You can believe something your whole life and believe it wholly, there is not any "absolute" proof that someone is right or wrong.

Basically, no I don't believe anyone is more arrogant than another. We all believe what we believe, and we all believe that we are 100% correct. So if that is the case then we are all arrogant.

• They are not arrogant

I myself am not an atheist. But i dont find anyone to be arrogant because of what they do or dont believe in (religion wise) it would be the same thing as saying Christians, Catholics, Muslims, wiccans etc are arrogant for it. Its what appeals to them so who are we to call them arrogant for it?