• Yes, America is becoming too religious.

Religious groups have slowly infiltrated American politics and are now attacking those that do not support their views. While the gay community is usually the target of the religious, Atheists are also under fire. Atheists are forced to recite a pledge that praises god, money that states America is under god, and various other things that force them to live in a religious society that then gets angered when they want to live outside of it.

• Yes. We are.

In some states atheists have been flogged and lynched. These states are Kansas and Texas respectively. Christians pretend to be persecuted and constantly preach about how this is a Christian country. Yes most of the country is Christian but, the founding fathers themselves stated that this is not a Christian nation and if you ant to see persecution go into a public place wearing a I am a Christian shirt an then an I am an Atheist shirt and see what happens.

• Yes, they are.

It's funny how Christians always play the role of victim when crosses get removed from public facilities, or how gay marriage being recently legalized on a national level is supposedly an attack on their beliefs. Yet roughly 80% of the US population identifies as Christian. Atheists face persecution, not so much in cities or northern regions, but in deeply religious towns in America, particularly the Bible Belt, coming out as an Atheist would mean being ostracized from their community. To say that no atheists are being persecuted is just foolish.

• Ya they are

In the pledge of alligience they state "under god", in 6 states they are not allowed to hold state office or be a wittness. Even my friend who is Christian agrees. Don't say they are a majority either, only 15% of people are atheist.
    So yes, they are prosecuted in the usa

• Atheists are the least trusted minority in the United States.

To begin, Atheists are banned from holding public office in many states (despite the fact that its flagrantly unconstitutional), yet those same rules do not apply to Jews, Muslims, or Christians. Even in states where they are allowed to hold public office, they are unlikely to ever be elected; surveys show that Atheists are the least trusted minority in the United States, behind Muslims and Homosexuals, with a large contingent of Americans indicating that they would not vote for an atheist. Time and time again when public schools overstep their constitutional bounds, atheists are ostracised for seeing that schools actually abide by the separation of church and state enshrined in the bible.

• America is intolerant.

While on the surface, our self-proclaimed "land of the free" may seem to be the epitome of religious freedom, when you dig underneath the cries of equality, it will be obvious that this isn't the case. There are seven states that currently ban atheists from holding a public office, and one of which that says atheists can't hold public office. [1,2] In a recent 2012 Gallup poll, 43% of Americans admitted that they would not vote for an atheist presidential candidate, regardless of political affiliations. [3]

Everyone keeps talking about the war on Christianity, but never have I seen a Christian banned from holding a government position, from wearing religious symbols, or from speaking their mind. I sincerely doubt that a Christian who admits to their religion is looked down upon, insulted, called a variety of words (none of them nice), alienated and challenged. As an atheist myself, I have been called Satanist, devil-worshipper, god-hater, f*g, and b*tch, among other terms. I have been left alone, I have had friends look at me with different eyes, I have had people call me names and refuse to acknowledge any future words I might say because I'm "just an atheist".

Yes, we are being persecuted. I don't even know why this is a question.

[1] http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2009/12/15/which-states-ban-atheists-from-holding-public-office/
    [2] http://www.occasionalplanet.org/2012/06/28/no-god-no-office-7-states-ban-atheists-from-holding-office/
    [3] http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-muslims-bias-presidential-candidates.aspx

• I'm afraid to be atheist

I live in conservative Florida and I am horrified to have anyone at my school know that I do not believe in their god. Those writing on the "No they are not persecuted" side are Christians, the worst offenders. Christians do not understand the persecution because they are the ones persecuting. Being an open atheist in a Southern society is an equivalent to Hester's A in "The Scarlet Letter". Religion dominates my public school and on multiple occasions I have been told, during the middle of class, that " [I] am going to hell" for not believing in God. Northern society is much more tolerant of atheism while if I tell any of my friends that attend church the truth I will be bombarded with attempts to convert me and complete isolation. Multiple Christians have told me that they will never be friends with or respect someone who does not believe in god. If that is not persecution I do not know what is. Christians are intolerant of any opposing faith and seek to destroy and convert these oppositions.

• They Control Our Government and Society.

Want to win an election? Better be a Christian. Want to become a celebrity? Better believe in a deity. Want to work for a charity? Better be religious. Look, Christians placed their god on our money, forced everyone to say the pledge of allegiance and continually create legislation based on their religious views. For example, aid to Israel. Atheist are largely under-represented and are out numbered by theist. Again, atheism is the absence God; it's not a religion so don't bunch us all together.

• Holding office and testifying

In Arkansas, atheists cannot testify as a witness in court and in six states, atheists cannot hold office. I have been persecuted and shunned by my family. I don't tell anyone anymore. I have been yelled at by Christians when they ask me if I want to hear about Jesus and I say I am an atheist and my boyfriend's mother decided to anoint me with oil to try to cast out demons.

• Fear of "Coming Out"

I live in a very Conservative, religious state (Texas) and I'm afraid to be honest with people when religion is discussed. Even people who've known me for years (and know that I'm one of the kindest, most compassionate people they've met!) begin to treat me differently when I've "come out" as atheist even though I've never once challenged or mocked their beliefs. Often, I'm the one who is challenged and mocked for being godless and not having faith in a higher being. I've even been told that I would be ok as long as I believed in something no matter what I called it, but I could not be accepted (by a "friend") because I didn't believe in anything. I don't know if persecution is the right word, but we are certainly low on the totem pole when it comes to tolerance.

• Athiests Are Not Being Persecuted

Athiests are not being persecuted in America. They are treated equally just like everyone else in this country. America is very tolerate of different beliefs and people who are athiests feel comfortable letting their views and opinions be known. America has freedom of speech and athiests fall under that like everyone else.

• NO, atheists are not being persecuted in America

Atheists are not being persecuted in America. What is being persecuted is our religious beliefs. Atheists can exist in our country since most is set up to be secular. However, atheists must recognize that we are a Christian nation founded on religious beliefs, and our Constitution does not deny our government to be involved in religion, only that it can not establish a religion.

• My dear atheist friends...

Okay, people, listen here. Atheists. The one's persecuting you are not actually "christian." These are false converts. The Bible actually teaches tolerance to the max. If you feel as though you are being persecuted, I apologize on the behalf of those who truly believe. While you may disagree with those attempting to "save" you, then let them know, but remain calm. The best way to fight such persecution is to read scripture and teach the persecutor their own religion. (Don't twist the scripture against them... Or I'll come after you myself >:D)

Please, please, please listen to this portion. I am a Christian. I have multiple friends that are atheist, agnostic, gay, lesbian, etc. However, there is only one reason I'm able to maintain this friendship. So, dear atheists, please listen. Let your Christian friend try to save you. There is nothing that makes me more sad then imagining my aforementioned friends burning in Hell. I had to at least know I did what I could to keep that from happening. So please, let them try. If you really are friends, you'll let them try to save you. If they actually do try, don't be offended, because this just show how much they really love you. Anyway. Got a little off topic, but you get the message. Let's try to co-exist here people.

Posted by: YFNG
  • Where are the Martyrs?

Persecution is when they are out to destroy you. Being unpopular or distrusted is not being persecuted. Being shot or imprisoned is persecution. The claim that atheists are persecuted because there are archaic and unenforceable laws that bar them from holding office is completely ridiculous. There are laws that say you can't mispronounce the state's name (Arkansas) but no one is arguing that people with lisps are persecuted.

• They are being discriminated but it is not persecution

Persecution is not just discrimination. It is violence against a group for discriminatory reasons. Now I don't hear about anyone getting killed for being an atheist in America. However, it is not just America where there is discrimination. I was discriminated for being an atheist here in Australia. On a jocular note, it is all because we grew out of our imaginary friends :P

• No, They Are Not

The exact opposite is true. If there's a cross standing on school grounds, and a single atheist student is offended by it, despite the fact that 90% of the other students are Christian, the cross would be removed.
    A minority group pushes their way around. They who promote "tolerance" will not tolerate their adversaries.
    Granted, there are tolerant atheists out there.

• No atheists do not face persecution

Most atheists in the US do not even have to explain themselves to anyone. They simply lead their own lives. They are not being persecuted in any way. Everyone has a freedom of religion and no one is doing anything to harm the choice of atheists to be an atheist.

• Christianity gives atheists their human rights

Based on a purely atheistic worldview and philosophy, we should not logically expect to even have human rights. The mere idea of persecution is based on wrong being done against another. How can the atheist claim that there is moral right and wrong, if there is no absolutes? Therefore, any 'persecution' which may occur should simply be named natural selection, or survival of the fittest and we should disregard those in the minority who are whinging about what is only natural.
    On the other hand, Christianity tells a narrative that we are personally created, with a moral compass, and designed for good. Only we dont choose the good, we choose evil and ignore the God who created us. Yet the good news is that Jesus came to earth as a man and restored that relationship by dying on a cross in our place.
    The truth is that humanist atheism gives no reason in itself for human rights or dignity, rather this is found in Christianity.

• Christianity gives atheism its freedom

On the other hand, Christianity tells a narrative that we are personally created, with a moral compass, and designed for good. Only we don't choose the good, we choose evil and isolate ourselves from the God who created us. Yet the good news is that Jesus came to earth as man to die on a cross and reconcile the relationship between man and God.
    We don't find inherent human rights and dignity in humanist atheism, we find it in Christianity.

• No not at all

No atheists are not persecuted in America. It's the other way round really. Christians are constantly being made fun of and they don't have the right to say something about it while if someone DARES to make fun of an atheist, they are considered as intolerant and not respecting their beliefs.