• Yes they are

Athletes are extremely overpaid in the US. There is no reason that an entertainer, be they athlete, singer, or movie star, should make more than the people who are fighting and dying for our country. They also shouldn't make more than the men and women who serve our communities as police, firefighters or paramedics. I do believe that they should make enough money to live on, as being a full time athlete leaves no time for a job, but it's disgraceful that one quarterback in the NFL may make more in a single season that what a rural city pays their entire police department in a year.

• Yes, do they really need that much money?

If a pro baseball player gets paid 13 million dollars a year, does he really need that much money? Certainly, much, much more of that 13 million could be used for something else, more valuable and useful than just one baseball player. Also, if that player has been playing for, let's say, 5 years, that adds up to 35 million. That money could be funding schools, wildlife reservations, our troops, but no, it's spent all on professional entertainers! Yes, their job is a big demand, and yes, they are entertainers, but they honest-to-god don't need that much money. They don't need fancy things, or a big house, or expensive clothes, and neither do their family. This money that we are carelessly wasting on these people could be used for much more useful cause.

• We waste our country's money on paying athletes.

I mean, I love sports as much as anyone, but I still think that athletes are being bribed almost with all the money they are paid. If anything, we should pay our soldiers more. They defend our country 24/7 while athletes only entertain us for about an hour or two each day.

• They deserve to get paid.

Many athletes often eave their families in order to succeed in the sport they are playing. Most players have a fan base and that's where people don't understand how important it is to have sports..It gives children and adults happiness and something to look forward to. Most people do not care how much they get paid or how they paid, people look up to them and want to be them. Athletes are paid because people watch him/her play the sport.

• They deserve to get paid.

• They are ridiculously overpaid

They do nothing for society, entertainment that they provide is nothing but an escape from reality that is not needed and can easily be replaced by another entertainment venue? Can this world survive without basketball or football or baseball? Yes it can. Can this world survive without doctors, teachers, police, firefighters? Not so much.

• Athletes Are Overpaid

My father is a logger, and works twice as hard then the average athlete, and he doesn't even get a eighth of what the average athlete does, I feel likes that it is just unfair. I believe that athletes get over payed, there are lots of people in the world who are working really hard, just to get food on the table for their family. While you have famous basketball players going out to a fancy restaurant every night for dinner. You have little kids starving, and trying to help out their parents some little boys have to take on the dad role, because their father died or ran away, and famous athletes just going out to eat, and not even working hard! It's crazy things like this that make the world one of the thoughtless places.

• They are barely doing anything.

While yes some athletes are well known and have tons of fans what about those bench warmers who are still getting paid millions on dollars. Those funds could go to the fire fighter risking his/her life or to that teacher empowering your kids with the knowledge they need not to some bench warmer who no one know.

• High athlete salaries are a load of crap.

Athletes are good at just one thing; but do they deserve to be paid a seven-figure salary a year? No. They need not worry about their expenses, unlike those who are barely making a two-figure salary and work harder and longer. The money that they get could easily go to a better cause.

• Yes they are.

They should play for the love of the sport not for the money, and all their expenses are paid for. If their reason for playing is for money they should be banned.The average person makes $50,000. The average NHL player make $800,000 in their rookie year alone. It's ridiculous and should be stopped.

• No because they are heroes for children.

A professorial athlete represents much more then just someone who hits a ball with a stick, or runs up and down a field. These athletes are idols, role models for impoverished and upper-class children alike. They provide motivation for children that would otherwise not have it, and with an athlete these children are given the chance to take a step into the world and make a name for themselves.

• No. I don't think athletes are overpaid. It is a demanding position.

While they do get paid much larger sums of money than the average person, this is just the way sports economics is currently setup. Ultimately, it is the paying fans supplying the money for these athletes' pay checks; and whether they may realize it or not, they make demands upon franchise owner to pick the players most likely to win. At the end of the day, though, I do hope that all players follow the philosophy of the fictional Roy Hobbs: "I play to win."

• Supply And Demand

Athletes are not overpaid. Not even close in my opinion. They put their bodies on the line to entertain people, so I think the pay is justified. Many forget that athletes are entertainers and if there is a demands for their particular sport, then of course they should be compensated a lot.

• No, most are not.

It is really only the big stars of the major sports who are overpaid and who get big endorsement deals and huge multi-year contracts. Average players in baseball and football make a good salary for the talent they have and the work they put in. Consider how grueling a 162-game MLB season can be for a player. And in the case of less prestigious sports like volleyball or rowing or lacrosse, most athletes barely make any money if they do at all.

• No they deserve it.

I don't think athletes are overpaid, they are just like singers or musicians, there entertainers. And most athletes have to leave their families behind to travel for their job. People look up to athletes, it's a lot of pressure for them to be the best, and to make sure they don't get seriously injured or that could be the end of their entire career.

• Athletes are not over paid

Athletes are not over paid, because they work very hard to get where they are. They move away from their families and put everything on the line trying to make it in the professional world. Athletes are inspirations to young kids, and inspire all who watch. Athletes deserve all the money they are making.

• I say No

I agree with the fact that these athletes are heroes. They are idols to those who are inspired to be like them. I am one of those people who is inspired by athletes. I always wanted to be an athlete, I want to play football, softball, and bowl. I already bowl, but I want to do better!

• They work hard too.

Athletes are not over paid . They work nearly as long and gruesome as some police officers or military men do. They do this for the love of the sport . Also many athletes train their whole lives to be the best , which takes hard work a dedication , that anyone would want to have pay off later . This just helps to stabilize their passions and life . Therefore they are not over paid.

• It is simply how the free market works.

While it may or may not seem right that athletes are paid more than people that are risking their lives, good athletes are simply scarce. A huge portion of the population watches sports, so athletes are in demand. The competitive nature of sports ensures that only the elite few make it to the top. While there is a demand for brave people willing to risk their lives, professional athletes are simply more rare. The same thing applies to celebrities. While you personally may not like it, the simple fact is that their skills are in high demand.

• Not at all

Being an athlete is just like any other job. It is hard and very time consuming. Professional athletics are televised creating money there so why would athletes get little to no money if they are creating it? Also, kids look up to athletes as a role model. If you have a problem with how much athletes are being paid then you clearly do not know how hard it is. If you want their salary.. Then start playing a sport rather than complaining about it.