Are black men and teens unfairly targeted in U.S. society?

• This is a white man's country

It's the truth. Racial profiling is common. The image of the ghetto instantly inspires visions of black guys wearing baggy clothes with snapbacks and carrying a weapon of some sort on them. Heck, the fact that the term DWB (driving while black) has entered the english slang language proves me right.

• My experience this summer.

I am an African American teen currently attending an internship at Wake Forest Baptist Medical School. Within the first four days of my arriving on campus I was stopped by the police 3 of those days. The first day me and two other African college students were simply walking around the campus at 12 0'clock a.M., as were other white students, but we happened to be the only ones stopped and questioned. The second time I was stopped was because I stepped out in front of the dorms we were staying in, and as I was walking back a police officer got out of his car came up to me and asked me for ID.... WTF. I think you get the point. And to add one other point. As I arrive to the airport the medical school hired a limo service to pick me up. The chauffeur came over and asked was I Mr. Taylor. I replied "yes". Suddenly two Caucasian adult males who were standing near by turn around and said, " you must play sports?"

• Well of course they are!

I cannot tell you how many times I have stood by and watch black people get picked out of a lineup based entirely on how they look and how they are profiled.... I cannot go to a game of neighborhood football without watching all the black kids get picked first, and the same is true for neighborhood basketball as well..... Those poor, poor black people :.(

• Yes. Just listen to the news, asking this same question of attorneys!

I am white, but have heard much in the news, talk shows and other people's personal opinions; to lead me to believe Blacks-especially black teenagers over white teenagers, are unfairly treated in our justice system; and life, in general. Yes, some people are still racist, right here in our own country. Will we ever grow out of it?

• Racial stereotyping is extreme in American media.

Just by watching american movies it is possible to tell this is the case (I have never been in the US). Both gender and race are so stereotyped that it's completely absurd. Heroes are almost always males, blacks are almost always tricksters. White males are absurdly over-represented and blacks are portrayed as different and fulfilling stereotyped roles. Also of course american statistics on law enforcement proves racism is even present in the state itself not just in civil society, which would be bad enough on its own.

• They are obviously targeted.

Black people on the media are shown to be thugs and criminals. Many people negatively hold prejudice against African-Americans because of the media and it's influence. Statistics also show that blacks are unfairly treated by the Justice System. A black person is 7 times as likely to be found guilty against a white person than the other way around. This rings true as African-Americans are targeted unfairly for drug use and vandalism. What's worse is that many people try to claim white victimhood even though the statistics are clearly against them. Racism and white victimhood lead to a disproportionate amount of blacks who are targeted and profiled by the police and neighborhood watch teams.

• Black men/teens deserve fairer treatment

I think that black people in America are put through too much discrimination (e.g. Being called black and dangerous). Black people actually scare me, but I would say 90% of the black people I have ever seen/met are the loveliest and nicest people you will ever meet. They don't act differently in any way (in my own personal opinion) but I don't see why they're being so discriminated against! People need to learn to accept other people's differences (no matter how much they like it or not) and respect them!

• All the time

It is very sad because I hate that my older brother comes home everyday frustrated because he has another experience with white people who treat him unfairly, or stereotype him. My brother works in Virginia because it was the only place he could find a job. The area in which he works is a predominantly white area. Everything is fine when he is working and clearly has on a worker's uniform but as soon as he takes it off whether he is wearing nice clothes or a t-shirt with sagging jeans he always comes home at least three times very upset with another incident he must face and continue to face for who knows how long.

The fact that my brother has been pulled over five times, and only when he goes over to Virginia to hang out with his friends in a predominantly white area. He's been arrested once, and the other four times (which wasn't his fault) the police found absolutely nothing.

• To a greater extent.

Yes they are persecuted to a greater extent than other groups. However the issue is blown out of proportion by the media and hollywood. There are many black groups that are equally racist against whites, but do we hear of this? No.

• Duh! [second, third]

This is so obvious that I'm going to have to make up words to fill the minimum. First, the real argument:

Ever heard of "DWW?"*

Case rested.

* Driving While White, obviously.

Fake words: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen

Made it!

I'll read the other opinions now. The "No" side better have some amazing data.

• Stupid is as stupid does.

I think there is a general culture in black society of being in the face of authority. I think it's taught that you don't have to listen and the police and the judicial system is out to get you. I think it's generally considered a mark of man hood in black society to be disrespectful and I think it's encouraged by black authorities such as pastors and civil rights leaders and parents and it comes with tragic results and creates an inability to function in society.

• Not as much as whites

Whites are assumed to be racist at every single turn, plus whites don't get free scholarships and jobs just solely for being white. We have a black President. Whites experience the most racism in this day and age. Anyone who would argue that is not living in the real world.

• In my mind...

There is not a "Unfair Targeting" of black men or teens. Stories just surface, people listen to corrupt media sources, and blow things out of proportion. Opportunist learn about the uproar and instead of putting it to rest they feed it. They create a larger than life story, and sell it wherever they can. Race war stories tend to sell better than tales of assault.

• Blacks On Welfare

Considering how many blacks are on State-assistance programs, along with many Civil rights groups consistently protecting black criminals, I'd say no. Moreover, I dont see the government putting blacks in concentration camps or burning them in ovens. Segregation was abolished years ago, and just the huge media bias for Trayvon, instead of Zimmerman tells me blacks have everything they could want. If they truly believe they are being mistreated, then why dont they go back to Africa?

• No, Blacks represent 15.4% of the population, but do 50% or more of the crime.

But, in 2011, violent crime arrests by whites was 59.4%, and for blacks it was 38.3%, but whites represent 77.9% of population, black only 15.4%. For homicides that rate is 49.7% black, and 48% white. Just look at how many blacks are murdered by blacks each weekend in Chicago.
    Http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Anyway, it is a joke. Blacks do most of the crimes, which is why they are arrested more. Go ask the police in any major city, especially Chicago.

"Why aren't so-called black leaders outraged and marching over the recent shooting rampage in Chicago. During the 4 July holiday weekend, including the Wednesday leading up to it, 62 people were wounded by gun violence in Chicago and 12 others killed. The holiday shooting spree raised Chicago's homicide tally to 200 for the year. Last year about 500 people were killed, and most of those killing and being killed in Chicago are black. According to the Chicago Tribune, "blacks make up about 33% of the city's population, they accounted for nearly 78% of the homicide victims through the first six months of 2012".
    Http://www.Guardian.Co.Uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/11/george-zimmerman-trial-black-crime

Many of the crimes are committed by gang members. And, guess what, there are 33,000 gangs in America with about 1.4 million gang members. Most are Black and Hispanic gangs. Most of the Hispanic gang members are illegal Mexican immigrants.

"They poison our streets with drugs, violence, and all manner of crime."
    Some 33,000 violent street gangs, motorcycle gangs, and prison gangs with about 1.4 million members are criminally active in the U.S. Today. Many are sophisticated and well organized; all use violence to control neighborhoods and boost their illegal money-making activities, which include robbery, drug and gun trafficking, fraud, extortion, and prostitution rings. According to the 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment report, gangs are responsible for an average of 48 percent of violent crime in most jurisdictions, and up to 90 percent in others. We’re redoubling our efforts to disrupt and dismantle gangs through intelligence-driven investigations and new initiatives and partnerships.
    Http://www.Fbi.Gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/gangs

Black/African-American Gang members: 31% or about 310,000
    · Hispanic Gang members: 47% or about 470,000
    · white/caucasian gang members: 13% or about 130,000 by police survey
    https://sites.Google.Com/site/gangviolence97352/gang-statistics

So, the BS that black men and teens are unfairly targeted is just more liberal nonsense by white racists like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, pure scum bags.

• Blue State society does not see race!

In the blue states EG California, it is all about money. Money is more important and racism is frowned upon in Los Angeles.Official Racism is a thing of the past and it is not needed anymore. The real discrimination comes from who has money and who doesn't. It just happens to be black people may not make as much but they are also big in the poverty world.

• Black men tend to be born into unfortunate situations, but they are not targeted.

Statistically, black people are more likely to be sent to jail than white people, but they are also more likely to commit petty crimes. The reason for this is that black people are much more likely to live in poverty and consequently, drop out of school more often and commit crimes. The media trumps up cases of prejudice which creates a false impression of U.S. Society. The way forward is to acknowledge that prejudice is much much less than it was just a few decades ago, and focus on improving education.

• They are targeted to a degree, but not always without justification

Racial stereotyping is prevalent without a doubt, but black men/teens are not the only ones being focused. There are lots of groups that are targeted by society, but it's important to clarify what society means. It can mean the overall opinion of the population, portrayals in the media, selective news stories, etc.

Although one might argue that blacks are targeted more often than others (whites, Asians, perhaps Hispanics), there is a clear, underlying reason for this. On average, they are much more likely to commit violent crimes, etc. Many people know this, so police, those who have to deal with criminals the most often, are justifiably more cautious around those that look suspicious. This is based on a number of factors, such as race, attire, demeanor, and environment. A black man in a suit and tie will probably not be given a second glance to a passing cop, but a black man in a hoody with his hands concealed acting suspicious will give rise to more suspicion. That's not to say that a white person doing the same thing would automatically be overlooked, but when people are aware of statistics it's hard to ignore them.

Pop culture has done a much better job of portraying blacks as "normal" people while whites are now often made to be the fools, especially white males (for reference, see the 2013 Super Bowl commercial of the white male who is as dumb as a caveman). While the general opinion of U.S. People may not change that fast, it's difficult to claim that people shouldn't stereotype when the statistics don't lie.

• Idiots think so.

They are treating exactly how they should be.
    If there was no reason, they wouldn't be treated this way.
    They are treated like this because they brought it on themselves by always committing crimes.
    Look at babies.
    Babies never commit crimes so when a crime is committed, we never suspect a baby.
    If I said someone stole a car, do you think of a black person or a white person?
    If your IQ is positive, then you think of a black person because they are the ones who tend to commit crimes more often.
    Some stereotypes are true.
    Black people commit many violent crimes. That is true. The majority of people in prison are black.
    Because the majority of prisoners (and ergo criminals) are black.

• They are not targeted

Statistically, black people are more likely to be sent to jail than white people, but they are also more likely to commit petty crimes. The reason for this is that black people are much more likely to live in poverty and consequently, drop out of school more often and commit crimes. That does not mean they are targeted, but simply because they were born in bad conditions. In some ways, blacks are treated better. Affirmative Action makes it easier for blacks to get good colleges and jobs. The media loves blacks and is quick to label everything as racism against them.

TheShamelessTruth says2013-07-23T14:17:53.277
No white person or black person of power or wealth will ever get what black people have to deal with. Many minorities may see what we see. Just watch Big Brother, this season shows perfectly the mindsets that are still out there. This point however, can't be proven because it is too subtle. The only way to prove it is through experience. If you don't believe us get a make up artist and turn yourself into a black person for one week. That is all it will take.