Are blacks justified in being angry at whites because of the past?

Asked by: Adam2isback
  • Time is not merely enough to erase cruelty

Black people were taken away from their countries, mostly those in Western Africa, and used as slaves in America. All this happened against their will. When they were eventually freed, most of them went to settle in Liberia. They might have been freed, but giving them freedom wasn't enough for the white man to fix his mistakes. He was the one who denied them freedom in the first place. When he eventually decided to let them go, he let them go without any form of compensation for exploiting them and wasting their time. With the coming of industrialization, the white man abandoned black people. Unlike machines, black peope needed to be fed an they required basic human needs. The white man saw the machine as being way better than black slaves and decided to abandon blacks whilst disguising this decision as generosity. Now, my point is that the black man was abandoned when his labour was no longer needed. In addition, the blacks never got compensation for their time and labour. Wounds heal but scars stay the same. The black man might lose aggression for the white man over time but these memories will always be part of black heritage and they will invoke anger. The black people are justified for their anger towards whites.

• They're fellow and equal Americans, and should act as such.

Their ancestors came over to America, and were offered the choice to leave. Those that did leave now live in Liberia. The ones that stayed, because they liked it here, took it into their heads that they were entitled to be treated as fellow and equal Americans, and they were right. Anything more is an attempt at a guilt trip. You don't see a mass exodus when their self-appointed leaders get angry about how they're being repressed. If they were indeed being repressed, they wouldn't get the kind of media attention they're getting.
    In other words, and this goes for everyone, welcome to America. If you have a legitimate grievance, get evidence and present it to those who can do something about it. If you're being a media hog and complaining about how drugs and stuff are keeping your buddies down, do something about the drugs and stuff. Leave us out of it. If you riot, take care to only wreck your own stuff. If not, we're perfectly entitled to defend ourselves and our property. If you protest, you are exercising First Amendment, as are all the idiots who boo and catcall.
    In short, they are not only in the wrong, they're too rooted in the past to see the future.

• It is racist to judge by skin color.

I want to correct the poster of this opinion by saying that not all black people judge by skin color. Dr. King was a shining example of this. Dr. King promoted racial tolerance and I feel that other people should do the same. I have a dream that one day people should be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

• Hell no, whites were slaves to blacks first

Back in Athenians/Spartans time white Europeans were sold to Africans (obviously in Africa) to be slaves. So honestly it was just karma. Also, many people nowadays aren't racist. It's in the past. Let's just learn about and from it then move on. Also many black people (if they use their time and life right) get a lot of perks. And are able to call someone "racist" and get away with it even if they aren't. Honestly, the blacks just need to get off their soapbox because it's done and over with. No one cares

• What about the good we did?

I'm white, and I disagree and hate everything white people did to blacks.
    What they need to know is that Abraham Lincon stopped slavery in America and he was white
    Also, the past is behind us, like Malala Yousafzai said, we must love each other no matter what our color, culture, or beliefs.
    Hate is a strong word too!

• Its completely insane

One being black and hating against whites because of the past is completely insane and thus barbaric. America and other western countries had decades long realised this fact and hence had imposed equal rights to blacks and whites. In my view a citizen must abide to country's law and view white bereft of hate and despise.
    Next, how come the blacks hate to whites because of something wrong their ancenstors had done? They are wholly just because they were not the one to impose slavery,actions against the black, yeah their ancestors did. This slightly corresponds to ISIS's brutual acts against sunnis and kurds. Plethora of sunnis and kurds are being slaughtered,killed because of past rivalry which is not justified.

• No, Its in the past and progress has been made.

Yes, there was much segregation and it only ended recently but that was gained due to effort and it was the entire goal of the movement. The goal that they were after was achieved so I believe that compensation shouldn't be pushed and the whites should not have to bear the burden of this. And now people neglect is not only the Africans who have been discriminated against. The whites can receive racial names such as "white trash" and "crackers" meanwhile a white man can say an insult against the Africans and even get national coverage as a racist. This has even gotten to a point I get nervous calling an African American "black" for fear I will be deemed a racist and I am not even full white. The scales have been balanced enough.

• That was the past, and we cannot change what happened...

I am tired of seeing people getting heated when discussing slavery, racist de jure laws, and de facto standards/discrimination that happened in the past. We should learn and grow from that, and realize how far this nation has improved in race relations. Also, it irks me when I do see some blacks get angry at white people for the past when they are not the same white people who enforced oppression many years ago. No one wants to be blamed for something he or she was not a part of.