• Charter schools provide quality education without the cost of private school.

Charter schools consistently deliver higher test scores than public schools overwhelmed with bureaucracy. Unlike private schools, which also deliver a superior education, charter schools are paid for by tax dollars and thus free and open to all parents. Rather than seeking to shut down charter schools due to the supposed inequity they create, we should either create more charter schools or expand them into the standard for all public schools.

Posted by: Pir4And
  • Charter schools are a good idea because they allow educators to try new teaching methods and allow for students to develop under new educational styles.

Charter schools are a good idea because they allow educators to try new teaching methods and allow for students to develop under new educational styles. Charter schools are often released from the shackles of regulations that many public schools are under. With less regulations educators can come up with innovative teaching methods that may boost graduation rates and lead to higher college enrollment numbers. These new methods could eventually be adopted by regular public schools. Also, students who may have struggled in a rigid public school system may be more successful in a charter school system due to new styles of teaching and encouragement.

Posted by: 53r3n3Piers
  • Gives you another way

I like charter schools because if your child goes to a horrible public school, this gives you another way, with good teachers and better education. Charter schools are like a whole different school system. You get another chance and so does your child who will get the education they need.

• Yes. Charter Schools CAN BE fantastic.

Some charter schools are created out of a necessity in a neighborhood that had a school closed due to budget constraints. If the community that feeds in to that school have the organizational skills to take advantage of their state's charter school program, than so be it. That is the situation that my community was in. All of the benefits that came with the charter school were just a bonus to me.

• The very points that public school proponents make about not being a level playing field are exactly why charter schools exist.

No, charter schools do not have to deal with unfunded mandates. They don't have to deal with as much government and other bureaucracy. They don't have to deal with teacher unions. They can better focus on giving kids a great education. As a parent, I don't care about all the excuses. My kids are growing up while all the idiots attached to the public school systems keep duking it out. We put them in a charter school because the curriculum was better, the teachers knew their subjects and ultimately, I knew that if enough people opted out of the public school, eventually the pain in their pocketbook would get them to make drastic changes.

• Yes, if it is a good idea for everyone

Students who perform great are challenged students who arent are helped, isnt that a part of a good school? At my charter school this is the case I think people believe that charter schools are like private schools, when they are not, they are a similar alternative to the tradition public school system

• Better than public schools

Public schools tend to be low on money and teachers but high on students. 30-40 kids in a classroom eliminates a teacher-student relationship causing some students to have problems. A charter school near me has a very low teacher to student ratio creating a better learning environment. They are also better funded than your typical public school.

• Charter schools may offer a legitimate choice to those whose children are trapped in a dismally failing school system.

After M to M transfers were used to destroy the "neighborhood" schools in my county and fiasco after fiasco within the school board any parent with the ability was scrambling to get their children into private school. I was one of them. There was no other option for my children to get a safe and effective education out side a private school. Charter schools will bring a real option to parents that want their kids to receive an education.... Not just a babysitter and free meals. Please reference the following to see our plight and see where charter schools my be a HUGE blessing for some!::

http://blogs.Ajc.Com/get-schooled-blog/2012/07/05/bibb-school-chief-and-his-miracle-plan-under-fire/

http://www.Georgiaunfiltered.Com/2013/02/dysfunctional-bibb-county-school-board.Html

• If the administration has a clue

Not all charter schools are great, and that is what creates a dark cloud over the statistics that discredit charter schools. With a responsible and determined administration, charter schools like Democracy Prep continue to close achievement gaps and produce students ready to fulfill missions that include "change the world." Dedicated teachers are the key.

• Class size might not be that small in charter schools

I don't know much about charter schools, my kids have only attended public schools, I am reading this comments just because my son is about to enter middle school and we are considering our options. I have read several comments that charter school class sizes are small "just about 25" If you consider that small, you should know that public schools classrooms rarely reach that number. On average, there are 18 students per teacher. I know this b/c I am teacher substitute and I see it.

• I hate them.

Charter school regulations vary greatly from state to state as do state-level achievement tests, which makes it difficult to compare school results or draw conclusions on a national basis. Parents who choose charters are often drawn to their small size and personalized learning environments, regardless of what the numbers say about academic performance.

• Charter schools exclude poor performing students

Students that do not "make the grade" are shown the door. One way or another, kids that don't do well at charter schools leave and return to the few public non-charter schools left. This leaves the non-charter public schools to pick up the pieces and continue to complete with the charter schools.

• Not a Level Playing Field

Charter schools are school choice and not parent or student choice. Like a football team, a student has to make the cut. After that, if for some reason, such as discipline, the student may be expelled and sent back to public school. Therefore, the public school will have more difficult students than a charter school.

For that reason alone, I cannot see why charter schools are not more successful than they are. I read charter schools produce results that 1/3 better than public schools, 1/3 worse and 1/3 the same.

Public schools are more expensive for many reasons. Among them are the unfunded mandates such as English as a second language, Special Education, home tutoring for the home bound, driver's education, sport teams, psychologist, to name a few.

Others complain that it is teacher unions, high teacher pay and pensions. The latest reading says the burn out rate for public school teachers is in regular education is 3-5 years. That used to only be true of Special Education teachers 10 years ago. So teacher pay on average is low due to very few years of experience.

High teacher pay is also based on levels of education. First, few will seek advanced degrees because they want to leave the profession. That is evidenced by all the early retirements of the old guard. They rather take a smaller pension and get another job. Next, there are so many extra duties, there is little time for advanced degrees. Teachers load the school buses, monitor the cafe, monitor the halls, tutor after school, have school meetings after school, put lesson on the net, and load the buses after school.

What about all those summers off? I taught during the good old days. I used my first 15 summer to get my advanced degrees. Something that I would not do today because the pay back is no longer there.

Then people talk about the voucher system as a means to even out the inequalities of rich and poor districts. Nobody even explains what the voucher system means. People assume it means it funds the complete tuition.

I read one article that said the voucher covers a percentage of the tuition and the parents must pay the rest.

Schools are district based. Let's say a rich district pays $14,000 per student. A poor district pays $5,000 per student. Even it the voucher covered the entire tuition for a poor student, where does the money beyond the $5,000 come?

Nobody has yet to do a double blind experiment to determine which school system is superior.

Every argument is testimonial. A student graduating from a charter school may like it, but has no way of comparing from experience an education in a public school. It is like saying my dog is better than your dog because it is my dog.

To further complicate things, I'm confident that a voucher in one state would be different than a voucher in another state or for that matter, from school district to school district.

I'm retired now, so I have no bias in this matter. But clearly, those that run a for profit charter school will have a bias.

The TV show "60 Minutes" did a story on one group of charter schools run by a man from Turkey in 2012. The TV show took no stand, but just reported what it discovered.

The charter school was a source vouchers to hire Turks from Turkey. The English teacher was interviewed and I could not understand him.

The pay scale looked good, until the TV show interviewed a woman that was divorced from a Turkish teacher at that charter school. The teachers are required to kick back 40% of their pay back to the school.

Again, that is one group of charter schools. But I believe a for profit organization has less government supervision and therefore is more likely to cook the books like Enron, AIG and so forth.

What happens if you spend 5 years in a charter school and it closes for cooking the books or other reasons? Who keeps the school records so transcripts may be generated for job applications years later? How does credit transfer from charter school to charter school to public school and maybe back to charter school in our mobile civilization?

What makes it so difficult to compare is that schools do not come up with a tangible product like a lawnmower. If inferior lawnmowers are produced, the company will go out of business in a year or two. A public or charter school have test results that maybe manipulated. More than one school has already be caught changing answers on tests. Many more have come under suspicion because there are so many changed answers on the tests.

There is a much simpler way to make public schools better. Have real enforceable consequences for tardy, absences and behavior. Instead, it is the teachers' fault for not having a better lesson plan.

I read an article where a Mother had to pay $2,000 in increments for her son's transgressions at $5 a pop.

For now, we are not comparing apples to oranges. We are comparing apples, to oranges, to grapes, to white mice etc.

I'm no expert. I just report on what I have read as I try to sort out an answer to this question for myself.

I lean towards "no" because of the larger chance of abusing our tax dollars in a for profit charter school.

By the way, google, "non-profits are very profitable." Few of these articles have anything to do with schools.

Unfortunately, we live in a society of corporations that do not believe in integrity like Goldman Sax bet against the investments they sold to individuals. I think that is still in court. There are many more examples.

The Waltons of Walmart are pushing charter schools with millions if not a billion dollars and expanding their effort. Civic minded? If they were civic minded, they would pay more than minimum wage for most associates.

Bill Gates might know a lot about computers, but what does he know about schools? Remember, there is no limit to greed. I see schools as the new cash cow.

Somebody better than me should sit down and come up with a REAL scientific study of this situation. I will go along with the winner.

• No, Charter schools are waste of time.

Only the 17% of charters have out-performed and 83% have failed or haven’t done any better. Also, they try new method for 3-5 years, and when it doesn’t work they just close down. Then, how about students who had been going there? They had wasted their years to get educations. They would have to go to next grade, but since they hadn’t learn things properly, the chance they would succeed is extremely low.

• Charter schools are not a good idea because they spread the educational dollars to widely.

Charter schools are not a viable alternative to conventional education because they spread the educational dollars too widely and create a larger bureaucracy than is necessary to educate the masses. While charter schools may please parents temporarily with promises, many fail to deliver an adequate education given the monies given to them.

Posted by: ThegaXen
  • What about everyone?

I dont get the idea of taking some students and giving them certain opportunities while taking money from underfunded schools. If charter schools are a good idea then their format should be expanded to all schools. It makes no sense to create something for public education that 90-95% of student have no access to.

• They waste money on grant consultants

They hire unreliable sources and pay big bucks to them without meeting them in their offices and really learning if these private consultants can be trusted!! I am concerned that, once again, our tax dollars are being wasted and lining a wasteful pocket! The children don't matter and the motive of these consultants are pure greed. Grant managers should be in-house where paid employee can be monitored and not out- sourced!

• Steals public funding

Charter schools take in as many children as they can. Once the final count is done and they have received the money for those children they then start weeding out children. Those children then get sent to public school because they actually have to take them and they get stuck paying for those children because the charter school already received the funding and they don't have to give it up just because they kicked out those kids. Public school are great and and its all about the parent involvement. No school is going to make your child any smarter if you as a parent are not willing to put in the time and effort needed to support their education.

• A lot of Wasted Money for Results no Better than Public Schools!

These charter schools are nothing but shills for business to exploit corporate welfare, AKA milking taxpayer money, for schools that do no better than public schools and many of the people running them have ended up in jail for ripping off the federal government, renting their schools out at night as strip clubs and other gross abuses. The problem with our schools is an economic problem of kids too poor to have one good meal a day, and parents who work three jobs and therefore spend no time with their kids to help them excel in school, and no school or amount of money is going to change that!