• In a way, they are.

Pets are property. Owning a pet gives one a responsibility to raise it, and like children you can do with them as you please but within the law. All pets have a form of rights that require the owner to give them things that they need, like food and shelter. The big difference is that laws are a bit more strict about raising kids.

"Additionally, they have the right to have and parents have the responsibility to give what the child needs to properly develop and thrive."
    Parent have the responsibility to give the child what they NEED not just want. Children need proper food, clothing, shelter, and access to an education. The rest is up to the parents if they want the child to have it or not. If the parent does not want to give their child things like a cell phone, their own computer, or even if they don't want to let their child eat pizza, then the child goes without those things. Seeing that it is the responsibility to provide these things, it should be up to the parents as to what is considered what is "proper". This means that if the kid wants to dress like their favorite music star but the parent feels it is not proper to dress like that, the parents should have final word. This also includes things that the child may want to buy with money the child earns. I think they should also make it the law that kids can not make any purchase without their parents consent.
    The problem I see is parents give kids too much freedom. Kids tend to lack the responsibility to use those freedoms wisely. This often leads to real big problems for both the child and the parents.

• My kids my property

I made you
    I raise you
    I love you
    I teach you
    I spend money on your education
    Your clothes
    Your toys
    Everything you have is because of my hard work.
    And I also disipline you
    My goal is to teach you right from wrong from my point of view
    I have lived it
    I know it
    I sacrifice for you not because I have to
    I sacrifice for you because I love you.
    If that love means a slap in the face to put you back in line when you step out than that's what it is.

That is how I was raised and I think my parents did a pretty good job.

All you people saying you should never do this or that
    Where are your kids now?
    I know where mine are.
    So please
    You my children are my property until you are 18 or longer depending how long it takes you to leave the best that I built.

So many silly posts here
    Crazy

• Legally speaking, children are property.

Children are treated as property as far as the law goes, considering that the owners (parents or legal guardians) have custodial rights to such property. Kidnapping children is illegal specifically because it is the equivalent of stealing property from the parents.
    That being said, children are still entitled to legal rights and protections because they are sentient humans.

• YES - the public has been programmed to think that's bad, when in fact, it's the opposite. See below.

Children are PROPER To You (you being the parent, the mother is actually the owner). They are a landed estate (see Genesis 3:19). If they aren't their parents' property, then whose are they? Parents must answer for them if they wreck someone's yard, etc. Moreover, indeed the State views them as property, which is why so many people encounter conscience-shocking experiences with Child Protective Services, which deals in the black market. The bottom line is that they are property of an estate where the mother is the primary trustee and Conservatrix, and the children are the beneficiaries of the trust, which makes them the real owners of the trust. So, the trustee must manage them with respect for them as sentient, human beings.

• Children are human beings.

Human beings cannot be property. Giving birth to a child gives one a responsibility to raise it, but it is not property with which you can do with it as you please. All human beings have rights in a human society, children included. Additionally, they have the right to have and parents have the responsibility to give what the child needs to properly develop and thrive.

• Children are Sentient Beings

Any singular entity that can form his/her own thoughts and opinions that are different from those around it ought to be considered sentient, or at least that's what I think. Children--while they often reflect or mimic traits of their parents and role models--display obvious signs of being conscious by 2 years of age.

While I, myself, am only 14 years of age, am still a child (or as my mom says, "a piece of property"), I adamantly refuse to believe that that's all that I am.

Children are fully capable of forming their own thoughts, goals, and opinions. While I suppose that it'd be hard to see one's own child as anything but an obnoxious automaton, it's true--we are people. Actual people who're just years away from being legally considered so (which is another issue entirely; the demeaning of minors by law).

Many people would use the argument, "Oh, well, you children just haven't reached mental maturity. You aren't mature enough to think. Just enjoy your childhood, sweetie." However, that's just as subjective as it is demeaning and disgusting.

Besides, it's been clearly demonstrated that some people have a higher mental capacity than others. If this is true, is it not also true that, proportionally, some children could be "technically" more mentally developed--even if not yet fully--than some adults? If the oh-so-mature actions that have been exemplified by some of the adults in my life are any proof, then yes.

It is this "children are property" mentality that leads parents to demeaning actions such as forcing bars or cupfuls of soap into a child's mouth for saying something that contradicts with what they wanted to hear, or hitting another fellow human being with a piece of leather because they're a child that did something disagreeable.

If we're so mentally underdeveloped, then how exactly is it just that we should be punished in these ways for disagreeable actions? While discipline and accountability are definitely two very important things in the raising of a child, they need not be learned through force or making sure that a child knows that he/she is a piece of property.

• Children are Sentient Beings

• Every person is there own person

It is impossible, by both international law and human morality standards, to consider someone to be their property. Sure, they are considered the legal guardians, but they primarily have hold on their child's political power until they come of age. They do not, however, are the legal owners of children.

• People yes, property no!

Parents do not own children the same way a family owns a dog or a vehicle! Parents are responsible to raise those children until those children become adults. Children are people due to the fact that they are human beings. A parent might need an adult child to take care of that parent as the parents gets older, but even the parent is not property of the adult child. You can buy or sell tangible property which human beings are not tangible property.

• H h h

H h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hhhhhhhh h h h hhh h h h h h hh h h hh h h h h h h h h h hh h hh h h

• H h h