Are children today ready to face life after graduation?

• Not in the least.

I came out of school and went belly up because I was completely unprepared for the real world. What high school teaches you is, 90% of the time, not applicable to real life, and no one cares that you can balance an equation in chemistry or that you know the difference between the Law of Detachment and the Law of Syllogism. It doesn't get you a job. It doesn't even prepare you for a job. Children and teenagers are, usually, not exposed to real life issues and problems during this 'education', and therefore flounder once they get their diploma because most of what their teachers taught them is not applicable to the world around them.

School is also, contrary to popular belief, not a microcosm of society. It is much more lax and forgiving than the real world. People are not nearly as hard on you. Expectations are significantly lower. Second chances galore. You have a fixed schedule. You are told what to do and when to do it. You have ample time to get things done, and if you screw up, hey, no big deal, just try it again!

And then, after 17 or 18 years, you're thrown to the wolves with your diploma and few tools to succeed.

• Lots of children are coddled and lazy

The 'every one is a winner" and life is fair lessons being taught in school, not to mention the massive number of "do overs" offered in high school are nothing like the real world. And I speak from experience. Just yesterday, the new girl at my job was given approximately one-third of the workload I was, and I was still asked to help her finish. It's ridiculous how some people think that they can just take their time and mosey around and no one will notice. UGH