Are Chinese farmers committing blasphemy by sculpting pears into images of Buddha?

• Images not Blasphemous

No, Chinese farmers are not committing blasphemy by sculpting pears into images of Buddha. They are simply making images of their deity in order for people to appreciate them in their own way. It's interesting that images of Buddha raise eyebrows but the crucifix is carved out of all types of material.

• No, it is very creative!

I'm all for anything that encourages the kids to eat as much fruit as possible. Neat idea and very well done. Be interesting to see what he does with a watermelon!I would rather eat one grown like this than one genetically modified in the my country. I am sure the EU will ban them since they are not a standard EU size/shape.

• No, Chinese farmers do not commit blasphemy by sculpting pears into images of Buddha.

No, it is not blasphemous for Chinese farmers to sculpt pears into images of Buddha. Buddhists believe in paying homage to Buddha, using the statues as a visual aid rather than believing they are real. Buddha-shaped pears should be able to serve the same purpose and wouldn't be considered to be blasphemous.

• I think they're meant to be lucky

I don't think the Buddha pears are meant as a sign of disrespect. I think they're meant to bring luck and good fortune, and they are awfully cute. Buddhism doesn't discourage using icons or images, so just the fact that they look like Buddha isn't necessarily blasphemy, but I understand that some more deeply religious folks may find it that way.