Are Christianity & Catholicism the same thing?

Asked by: nahill
  • Catholicism is a Division of Christianity

Christianity, itself, is an umbrella term for any sect that follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Historically, the Catholic and Orthodox churches came from the same Christian roots, and the Protestants splintered from the Catholic tradition. Like the branch of a tree, that extended out to produce every non-denominational 'christian' group. They are descended from Catholicism, which is a Christian religion. Now, how do you think it would be remotely possible for a faith closer to the origins of Christianity to somehow not be Christian while something devised out of that tradition recently 'is'?

Historically this attempt to paint Roman Catholics as 'not christian' dates to the Ku Klux Klan and its anti-catholic attacks.

• There is not a simple yes or no answer.

Basically, Catholicism is a form of Christianity but not all Christians are Catholics. Originally Catholicism was the only form of Christianity, but other groups broke off and made their own faith. Someone who doesn't know this probably shouldn't be answering this anyway. But if you are wondering whether to call Catholics Christians, then yes.

• To answer no is delusional

If one believes that Catholicism is not Christian, then they have an extreme lack of understanding what Christianity is and was. Catholicism was the first majorly organized church of Christianity, starting since the Byzantine Empire, 3rd century BCE. The Catholic church was the branch that actually assembled the first Holy Bible of Christianity, putting together the texts from the New Testament writers and Old Testament texts, all according to their own bias, being why the bible has OT texts, even though many denominations disagree with them almost entirely.

So if you're saying that 41,000 denominations in Christianity and you disagree with one of the originals, therefore they aren't Christian, then you're by definition delusional.

• Yes yes yes

Whether we like it or not, whether we choose to accept it or not, A christian is someone who believes in Jesus Christ and his teachings. Catholics believe in Jesus Christ and are therefore another denomination of the religion. There are plenty of divisions of Christianity, and most people are a certain type of Christian. It's rare someone just says "I'm Christian?" You get answers like protestant, lutheran, catholic, mormon, Jehovah's witness etc.

• One is a Religion & The Other Is A Denomination Of That Religion!

Of course, they are the same. Catholicism is a Christian denomination. It isn't a different faith. Who makes these questions up, for heaven's sake? If you Google the subject, you'll find that Roman Catholic is listed as the largest Christian denomination on any reputable research site. Are there differences between the Christian churches? Yes. Do their worship services vary? Yes. Still, the principle beliefs that make any Christian a Christian are the same.

• Catholicism is Christianity

Today there are both "Christians" and "Catholics". Catholics live by what Jesus did, his law, teachings, ways, and all the other stuff that one is supposed to live by. Christians today are a part of a religion that is a branch of of Catholicism. Jesus was a good "Christian"(this term not to be mixed up with the now-a-day Christian). At the end of Catholic Masses, the Priest says something like "Go and be good Christians". Because Catholics are "Catholic-Christians" and live by the true form of Christianity. Christians today are merely False-Christians.

• Eeeeh. It's not simple.

You know how all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares? Well, Catholicism is a subset of Christianity, it's one of it's many sects. So no, Catholicism is not the same as Christianity, it's merely one subset. I will now waste my remaining words because of a stupid...

• Who are we to judge who is right and who is wrong...

Personally I don't believe they are the same, if you look in the Bible Jesus said ask anything in MY name, by prayer and if we look in the Bible again when we see when Jesus was in the garden praying before His Crucifixion who was he praying too? His father in heaven; God. Again another passage John 14 Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.
    The thing I don't believe is right is that in the Catholic religion they pray to Mary mother of Jesus...When the Bible clearly tells us who we are to pray to, and obviously we will pray to the one we believe in which in Christianity is our Lord Jesus Christ who the maker of heaven and earth, Marry isn't the creator God is. We all may have our opinions but in the end God knows our hearts and he is the ultimate judge.

• No, they're not!

Is Christianity and Catholicism the same thing? This question has been going through my mind ever since 2012. I remember me and my friend would discuss it a lot, until her father got really mad because it sounded ridiculous to him: "Of course Christianity and Catholicism is the same thing! Why wouldn't they be? The most stupid statement ever!" I didn't reply to him, 'cause I know he'd stop giving me rides and everything if I continued to argue with him. Lol. But I believe that the two separate religions are not the same thing. What do you guys think?

• To Answer No Is a Denial of History and a Lack of Understanding

While Christianity and Catholicism follow a similar structure of faith, there are major differences between the two that I think constitute their separation. Catholics are very Pagan in nature, a faith deeply seeded in ritual and hierarchy; the Papacy has the power to cleanse the soul of sin and provide retribution for the damned. In Catholicism, while Jesus Christ is the savoir of all man, and God is the purveyor of existence and the ultimate judge on human condition, there is essentially a pantheon of recognized "lesser deities" within church dogma, called saints. Catholicism is pseudo-polytheistic. Catholics don't carry themselves like Protestants. Catholics don't worship like Protestants. On top of all that, Catholics predate Protestants by about 1,500 years.

• Of Course Not

Catholicism is a sect of Christianity. Protestants are Christian, but not Catholic. Take this:

Christian/Christianity = A
    Catholicism/Catholic = B
    Protestant/ Protestantism = C

A is comprised of both B and C. If B was equal to A, then then B would be comprised of C.
    If you vote yes, you claim that Protestants are Catholics.

• Sects can be different

(That was Bo Burnham y'all) Anyway on topic Christianity is not Catholicism. Let me be very clear about this. Yes, Catholicism is a form of Christianity. This does not mean, however, that they are the same thing. If I were to tell you that monkeys are animals and so therefore monkeys and animals are the same thing you would call me crazy. Why, then, can we apply this principle to religion? Just like Shiism and Islam are not the same thing, although the latter does incorporate the former, neither are Catholicism and Christianity. The fact remains that there are many Christians who would be insulted at being called Catholic, and many more (the majority?) who would disagree.

• Of course not

Catholicism is a form of Christianity it is not the same thing as Christianity. There are many other types of Christianity which are absolutely very different from Catholicism.

Catholics have some very different beliefs to the average Christian. They believe that a priest can forgive sins and that their pope is divinely appointed as a representative of God. Most Christians believe only God can do these things.

• Everyone answering "yes" admits it.

Everybody who picked the "yes" answer admits themselves that either Christianity or Catholicism is a branch/sect/domination of the other. Therefore, they all negate their arguments. Catholicism is polytheistic, and Christianity is not. Catholics equate Mary with Jesus and God, whereas Christianity is not. If you believe that Christianity is polytheistic,then I do not mind debating you on it.

• Tautological argument against the proposition.

A Catholic does not follow Orthodox doctrine.
    Followers of both Catholic and Orthodox doctrine are Christians.
    Therefore Christianity and Catholicism are not the same thing.

Thought I would give a tautology a go, it is not as neat as I had hoped it would be but it gets the general point across.