Are classic video games better than modern video games?

• It's no longer about the game itself, but what's around it

The only good thing about new major games is currently... Graphics. I love HD graphics, and the current level of detail, but modern games lack of fantasy and "magic". And it seems to me that they don't appeal if they don't have swears, blood and boobs. Furthermore, these one-use disposable games need to be covered with trophies/achievements, unlockable content and futile extras to be played for more than one month. Almost none of my new games deserve to be remembered, whereas most of the classics do. And I'm not of the nostalgic type.

• Depends on how you quantify "better"

Older games lacked many of the graphics, speed, and sound capabilities of newer games. While these elements may be particularly appealing to a certain variety of gamer, older games were forced to make up the deficiency with novel and interesting game-play. A good example of this could be the difference between the original Duke Nukem platformer games and the newer 3d Duke Nukem games. The original required mental agility, spatial skills, and problem solving. The latter only required reflexes, and supplemented it with fancy graphics, bare breasts, and shock profanity.

• Yes..But..No..

As you said, it is hard to compare it, but these days, some modern games are based on the old ones, like the old Tetris is now enhanced and better but it is still the same old game that we all know. Also, you can play old games using emulators online just by downloading it, so modern devices can still play old classic games!

• Get a father and son answer

The answer is clearly YES and as a user of the initial Atari console, I would love to say NO. However looking at the video games my son is playing, I clearly see that two main tecnical advances have been made. Firstly, the graphics nowadays are so way much better that the discussion is over just by looking at the new games. Secondly, the internet helps that we can play with many more people we could not even reach with the old games. Therefore I can just envy the current or maybe even next generation playing video games.

• Classics tend to be more fun.

Even though modern games have better quality and better controls than classic games, classic games are just better to play. EXAMPLE: MARIO GAMES. Modern Mario games, with a few exceptions, are so hard you have to go online to find out how to complete levels which takes away a lot of the fun. Older Mario games are challenging as well, but not to the point of needing to research how to get past a certain point, which makes the challenge fun because after a few tries you complete/get past the challenge instead of after 35 tries or 35 minutes online with new Mario games. 8-bit characters just seem cooler as well for some reason. :)

• Yes and no

In my opinion classics are better than modern because classics have amazing OSTs and less violence of course there is more to that but i dont want to explain it all in this post so i chose yes because OMG MARIO LINK AND SONIC GAMES ARE SOOO FUN TO ME!!!!

• Classics rule modern

The super mario 64 and sarges hero and madden 2000 are so cool because they get to be played on the nintendo 64 so you have a lot of fun on they these are the best games of all times NINENDO 64 and other gameboy snes are the best EVER!!!!!

• Classics rule modern

• Classics rule modern

• Classics rule modern

• No, this is only a myth.

Halo Reach has much more to offer than Halo 2 does. It's a simple fact. You can also change around anything you don't like in Halo Reach, way more than you can in Halo 2. It's another simple fact. Based off of this, anybody would obviously choose Halo Reach over Halo 2. Original Playstation games don't have online multiplayer. PS2 and PS3 games do. Older game consoles don't have system link multiplayer games - newer ones do.

• No, but with good cause.

When is say that newer video games are better, I say that from a logical perspective. Newer games have more processing power, better graphics, and access to new and innovative genres and ideas. These things are a large majority of what makes up gaming. So, without applying the nostalgia factor (which is nothing but a human emotion) newer games are most certainly better.

• Nostalia aside, No.

While my love of the simpler concepts and graphics would will me to say yes, there is simply no competing with the works of art that video games have become. Even using the emulators to play old games on modern devices can not enhance them to complexity of the newest concepts that are products of our digital age.
    Not only do today's games' have animation that is so lifelike it rivals animation powerhouses, the storylines are more realistic as well. Never in the old games would you find yourself in the trenches of a jungle one minute and the ruins of a city protecting your comrades the next. The technology of today's games also allows you to play against people world wide whereas the older formats limited you a four screen or even less to play against your buddies the same room. Those same kids who used to play Mortal Kombat with their buddies in the living room can still play against them even if they are now separated by an ocean.

• Modern Games Rock with Graphics, Speed

Modern video games up the ante every time a new title comes out. Franchises like Halo and Modern Warfare take video games to a new level in terms of speed, graphics and playability. Older video games are pixelated and overly simplistic. Nostalgia is nice, but the tasty treats modern games give us are far better. There is a caveat--older games are more challenging because there aren't as many bonuses, cheats and extra lives in games. Classic games gave you three lives to beat an entire game and that was it. You either learned how to master the game to beat it or you never defeated the entire game.

• No..But..Yes..

Its hard to compare games in some aspects from newer or older. I personally loved my older games. Its just generally harder to go back to some of them due to the massive difference in graphics and quality. The stories for older games are mostly original. But. New games do have some brilliant ideas and functions that in some cases put them over the older ones.

• There is No Comparison

Modern games are better in every conceivable way. Better graphics, better controls, better gameplay and better story. There is no comparison. You can't compare a game like Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2. You can't compare a game like Super Mario Bros. 3 to New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Modern games crush retro games, and that's a fact.

• There is No Comparison

• Well thats just great

My pet rock fell of a cliff

g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g gg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

Posted by: Bup
  • I can't believe Hillary Clinton won

ITS SO LEGIT! I couldn't think of anything else to say so heres the oreo add

Wonder if I gave an Oreo to the Big Bad Wolf,
    how would the story go?
    Would he still go huff and puff
    or would he bring those pigs cool stuff
    to decorate the deck he helped them build?
    Would they not get killed?

Wonder if I gave an Oreo to a vampire in a creepy show,
    would he not act so undead?
    Would he thirst for milk instead?
    I've just got this feeling that it might work out all right.

‘Cause cream does wondrous things
    inside a chocolate sandwich dream.

If I gave 'em to great white sharks,
    would they share 'em with baby seals?
    Would they call up a giant squid for a friendly meal?
    Wonder if I gave an Oreo…
    Wonder if I gave an Oreo…
    What if I gave an Oreo to you?

• 7 things i miss about my dead cat (and Abe Lincoln)

I miss...
    1. The willies
    2. The poo
    3. The pee
    4. The bums
    5. The nuggets
    6. The irony
    7. The catnip

Abraham Lincoln is regarded as one of America's greatest heroes due to both his incredible impact on the nation and his unique appeal. He was my uncle and dad and mother and brother and child and cat too