Are copyright laws on computer software too strict?

• Copyright laws on computer software are too strict.

Copyright laws on computer software are too strict. I do not think that in this crazy world of technology that we have today that copyright laws should be upheld. They are too strict and if someone wants some software then they are going to be able to get it no matter what the fine is.

• Too Limiting For The Consumer

I believe copyright laws on computer software is too strict. I believe this has become a problem for many computer based systems, including our gaming consoles. Given the nature of the product, I believe firms should expect people to use their software as much as possible, including the possibility of sharing it. I was more than upset the first time I realized I couldn't install my software on all of my devices because I reached some type of limit.

• It's their product

I don't like how I have to pay for Windows software if I buy a new computer, but I understand why the companies do it. It takes a lot of money and resources in order to create this software and they need to make sure that others can't easily copy it.

• Software coding is proprietary.

A lot of what makes software unique is the script, which is proprietary. If there were not laws protecting the script writers, then anyone could recreate the software and there would be nothing proprietary about it. In some cases, years of hard work would basically amount to nothing because those who wrote the original script would not be able to reap financial rewards.

• They have to make a living.

No, copyright laws on computer software are not too strict, because the people who develop the software need an incentive to want to develop new products. Copyright laws protect the people who create the products, so that they can earn the profit that they deserve from the things they create. For this to be effective, copyright laws much be extremely and harshly enforced.