Are degrees essential to success in life: Are degrees more important than pure luck?

• Not really, kiss ass, be in the right place at the right time

Having a technical certificate as an electrician and a business administration AA, with years as a pharmacy and music major- could've skipped it all and went straight to work at walmart (mb not even finishing High School)- pays more than any entry-level jobs in electrical or business.

Fact is, mb especially here in the South- more about politics, charisma: working the "good ole boy" system.

• No, a degree is overrated.

In a dwindling economy, people with degrees are still not getting jobs. Degrees are over-priced and overrated. Experience is what most employers are seeking. Schools and colleges should be pairing each student with an internship in her field of interest to prepare for life skills and a job after school.

• No, I don't believe degrees are essential.

In our free market system, I believe degrees can definitely be an asset to achieving success. And luck can certainly play a part as well. Being in the right place at the right time can happen to anyone. However, I believe the biggest asset to success is creativity, innovation, and out-of-the-box thinking.