Are doctors to blame for prescription drug abuse?

• They absolutely are!

I fully, 100% agree that doctors are to blame for prescription drug abuse! Doctors are so quick to give prescriptions for all kinds of drugs these days. I went to my doctor complaining of chest pain, and he threw zoloft, xanax and valium at me without even properly examining me. I'd rather go to a therapist than take pills! They really need to stop.

• They absolutely are!

I fully, 100% agree that doctors are to blame for prescription drug abuse! Doctors are so quick to give prescriptions for all kinds of drugs these days. I went to my doctor complaining of chest pain, and he threw zoloft, xanax and valium at me without even properly examining me. I'd rather go to a therapist then take pills! They really need to stop.

• It's the players fault.

Personally, I feel the person to blame for drug abuse is the person, and not the doctor. While the doctor isn't forced to sign on for the prescription, perhaps the person is a very talented actor, who can easily scam the doctor into believing they need more drugs then what they actually do.

• In my experience: doctors are not to blame...

As a recovering prescription narcotic addict myself, I truly believe that the blame should be at the addict themselves. Once somebody becomes engulfed in the continuous patterns of addiction they will do anything they can to get their hands on the drug, including "doctor shopping" and manipulating them however they can in order to get the substance they so desire. Although yes, I have multiple health issues and should be taking medications still, I choose not because I finally realized in November of 2011 that I no longer needed the medications for my health but desperately wanted them to feed an addiction. This thought finally clicked in me and ever since I have chosen to not touch any prescription narcotics, illicit drugs, or even alcohol because it was more important to me to remain clean and sober than to find pain relief for my psoriatic arthritis or stimulants for my narcolepsy. I've successfully managed to tolerate and treat any issues by other non-addictive means and simple behavior and routine changes to manage my sleep disorder. I truly believe and know that as a recovering addict I can't blame others and certainly not the doctors. I told them what they needed to hear so that I could continue to get my prescription refills. I ignored for so many years all the terrible effects the medication addiction was causing, and chose to go back month after month, always prepping myself for what I was going to say in each visit and withdrew taking my medications early enough to not allow the side-effects of being strung out to show up in their routine vitals and physicals. The doctors didn't ask me to lie to them, nor knowingly prescribed these meds to me. Whether an addict has health issues that allows them easy access to prescription drugs or not, is simply comes down to an addict will do whatever they need to do to keep the drugs coming...Even put on a good act in front of the doctors.

• I disagree that the blame falls on the physicians, but people themselves

I disagree that physicians are to blame for prescription drug abuse. People now a days are educated enough to know the risks of taking prescription medications, whether it is for pain, anxiety or whatever. The majority of people that are addicted to pain medication isn't because of one physician, but because this person will look around, "doctor shop", buy it illegally or steal it if they want it bad enough. There is enough marketing on billboards, radio, television and the Internet that shows that certain medications have an addictive tendency. I personally feel that ultimately it is the person's responsibility because they are the one choosing to take these medications, full well knowing the risks, but still do it anyway. People need to be responsible for their own actions and decisions.

• No, doctors are not to blame for prescription drug abuse.

I believe that doctors are not to blame for prescription drug abuse. The problem is that we have become a pill-popping society. We want our aches and pains to be gone immediately, and we head for the medicine cabinet before exploring all of our treatment options. I think doctors just feel pressured by their patients to prescribe medicine. People who manipulate doctors and the pharmacies are responsible for their own addiction.

• They're part of the problem

If the only options are yes or no, then the answer must be no, as they are only a part of the problem. The problem begins with an insurance based system. What you have to understand about insurance healthcare is the conflict of interest. In an ideal world, the insurance companies would prefer if you just never had to go to the doctors office. But since you do, they want you out of there quickly and cheaply. In this regard, you are literally just a number. In pain? Take a pill. Even if those pills cost a hundred dollars, its far cheaper than truly fixing you. The cost of x-rays, physical therapy, pain management, or any the multitude of other treatment options generally always comes at a much higher price. Doctors themselves work in the confines on the insurance system. Some will even admit to being nothing more than an insurance doctor. Their treatment options are limited to what the insurance companies tell them they can do. Option one is ALWAYS load the patient up on pills and get them out of here. Of course, there is a benefit to the doctor here as well. After sending you out the door with nothing more than a couple pills, you will be coming back because of course, you were never fixed. To a doctor, there is nothing better than repeat customers. You becoming addicted to anything is always a nice bonus, because of course you’ll eventually need treatment for that too.