• Sexist and Arbitraty

Why is it the ones who decide dress codes tend to be older males? Why do they get to decide what girls wear? Girls are more than a "distraction." Dress codes can lead to calling girls bad names, harassment, and bullying. When your building is sweltering hot you want to just wear a tank top and shorts. It should be a girl's choice, not the the choice of older men. I go to a school where girls in headscarfs are in the same classrooms with short skirts. Guys still learn.

• Girls are impacted more then guys

Women wear the clothing they do because it makes them who they are and when a man tells us that we can't wear what we want that upsets us. Guys don't understand what we feel about the dress code because they can wear whatever but we can't and that is totally unfair and if we felt good about ourselves before the stupid dress code crap then why make us feel bad about ourselves and make us wear what we don't want to wear.

• Dress codes are stupid

The supposed reason that many work/school places have dress codes is that bosses/ heads of school want to maintain a sense of professionalism, however you must acknowledge that most who enforce this are from a completely different generation and therefore have different standards. What was appropriate in the 1950's is much different to what's appropriate in the 2010's and that difference should be acknowledged. Coming from Australia, there are many hot days where jeans and sleeves are simply not an option. There are girls who do not like skirts so why should they be forced into clothes that they are not comfortable with just so they don't pass out from the heat. Any school is going to say that they care for their students but if they truly did then dress codes would be a thing of the past. Showing a bit of thigh won't hurt anyone. Or a shoulder. Or God forbid you show a bra strap! How scandalous right? Being 'modest' is simply unnecessary when it's 40 degrees outside. And the excuses that people come up with for dress codes are doing nothing but pointing people away from it. 'Your body is a temple so you should respect it'. It may be but it is mine and it's quite frankly not anyone's business how I should decorate it. For co-ed schools a big reason for dress codes is so that the men don't get 'distracted'. How stupid is that? Perhaps the male population should learn how to control themselves. How to not get 'distracted'.

• Dress codes are stupid

• Not necessarily so.

I don't understand why anyone would call a dress code "harmful." Probably 99% of schools, including the one I attended, had a dress code that applies to both guys and girls. It's not sexist in the least. If you say it's harmful to girls then why isn't it equally harmful to guys? Schools usually want their students to project dignity. Rules for modesty accomplish that. No one seems to have a problem with making guys wear appropriate clothing, but heaven forbid you have girls abide by the same rules!

• Really off topic hear.

Who thought it was a good idea to use a weeping angel as the picture here. Lets talk about dress codes and all I can think about is a quantum lock being that I can't blink or look away from. Pardon my whovian.

I am in support of dress codes. Mainly because I don't like people wearing skimpy things when I am forced into an environment with them. They can wear it all they want everywhere else. Just not in my school.
    I personally find skimpy things disgusting. I know somebody is going to say just don't look at them. Unfortunately the human eye has slightly more than 180 degrees of vision meaning it is practically impossible not to see them. And staring at the ceiling isn't the safest alternative, from personally experience I know it can cause injury.

Now aside my personally opinion, dress codes have a purpose, they allow school to be professional with out the need of school uniforms. I am fairly sure most of you would rather have a dress code than school uniforms.

Now I wasn't aware that this debate was dealing with temperature instead of expressing yourself. I personally feel sorry for you if your school doesn't have good A/C. Of coarse there are other ways of keeping your self cool that doesn't include violating dress code. Fans can move away warm air. Fans combined with a small spray of water can greatly reduce heat (evaporation).

• How is it Sexist?

Only sometimes. I think girls should be aloud to wear short shorts, but nothing that shows extra cleavage or something that shows their stomach above the "belly button." But one thing that pisses me off is when people say that it's sexist. I don't understand how that can be at all.