Are entitlements and welfare a good thing (yes) or bad thing (no)?

Asked by: Awbsue
  • Helps people when needy

Welfare helps people when they need it. It helped children off the streets and made the NHS. It made everyone entitled to free education and housing. Yes there are negatives but wooooooooooo go benefits for those who need it!!! Yay yay yay yay yay woo woo woo fun fun fun

• Entitlements stop the poor dying on the streets.

Within reason, entitlement spending is necessary for a good economy. Please here me out. I'm not a radical socialist. The major reason people fall into the poverty trap is a lack of education. Training in the U.S. now costs money in our privatized college system. Without money, you are not going to be promoted in an economy already hemorrhaging low-skill jobs abroad. The idea that people should be allowed to starve to death if they don't find a good job in a globalized, often mediocre economy is unnecessarily harsh in this modern affluent society. There is more produced nowadays than there ever was before. Giving somebody the ability to eat some cereal and beer is not going to ruin anybody’s life. Even if our society was far less wealthy, I find it morally wrong to allow people to die if they do not work. Living in poverty on the dole is one thing. Letting large sectors of our population to die from famine or winter is not Christian or utilitarian.

• Before entitlements, peasants knew their place

Within reason, entitlement spending is necessary for freedom. Please here me out. The major reason people fall into the poverty trap is a lack of education. Training in the U.S. now costs money in our privatized college system. Without money, you are not going to be promoted in an economy already hemorrhaging low-skill jobs abroad. The idea that people should be allowed to starve to death if they don't find a good job in a globalized, often mediocre economy is unnecessarily harsh in this modern affluent society. There is more produced nowadays than there ever was before. Giving somebody the ability to eat some cereal and beer is not going to ruin anybody’s life. Even if our society was far less wealthy, I find it morally wrong to allow people to die if they do not work. Living in poverty on the dole is one thing. Letting large sectors of our population to die from famine or winter is not Christian or utilitarian.

• Jiu jih jih

Hiu hbiu biuh h h h h h h h h h h h hh h h h h hh h h h hj j j j j j j j j j jj j j j j j j jj j j j j j j j j j

• Entitlements and welfare are a good thing.

Despite criticism,entitlements and criticism can be seen as a good thing.There will always be citizens that are in a bad situation through no fault of there own.These might include children and the elderly.When this happens they need the help of the larger society which is more fortunate than the unfortunate.

• Yes, of course

Alright, so there's two options. We as a society can either care for each other and help people get on their feet, or let them starve and languish in poverty. Even Milton Friedman, the architect of Reagan's horrendously failed 'trickle-down' theory absolutely supported a minimum income for every American citizen which was obviously not implemented. Sowell even believed that Reagan's policies, which directly impoverished the poor and working classes, was a pitiful implementation of the policies of supply-side theory that he helped pioneer. Obviously, the idea behind it was that by encouraging monopoly capitalism and neoliberalist economics, the vast amounts of money generated would be turned into well paying jobs for many more Americans. That didn't happen. Instead, wages stagnated or dropped, wealth inequality skyrocketed, the poor gained 6% in total income while the richest Americans saw their income increase in increments of HUNDREDS of percents. This is not ok, and it's not real even real capitalism. Small businesses cannot compete with the large chain stores and predatory corporations. Most people are only demanding 'handouts' and 'welfare' because we can't find stable, sustainable jobs that pay well through no fault of our own. We need good jobs, but the majority of the jobs out there now are low-wage and part time. This isn't going away, and will ONLY intensify. So, people opposed to helping your fellow citizens, propose real solutions apart from handouts and higher taxation on the richest people in America, or pay up. Those are your two options. Well, there's a third I suppose, and that is that if the oppressed peoples in our society continue to languish, you may find an armed revolution at your door step one of these days.

• Yes, if you are building an army to take over the world.

Entitlements are great if you are trying to build an empire. When you can get a populace under your control through entitlements, you are basically having them depend on you for their lives. When that happens, you can control and do anything you want with them. Even turn against their own people. The best part is you can brainwash them into accepting benefits under the guise that it is for the good of their people. You want to know who thought entitlements and welfare was good for their people? Hitler. (*drops the mic*)

• Welfare and entitlements are a good thing.

Under a capitalist system, with an economy that has up and down cycles of greater and lesser prosperity and where there are no guarantees of employment regardless of a person's environment and upbringing, it is important to have a safety net. When millions of people lose their jobs because of an economic recession or depression and not because of personal fault or poor performance, there needs to be financial help to prevent people from starving and becoming homeless. Welfare is what prevented the Great Recession of 2008 from being a major depression.

• If it weren't so abused

I think I will quit my job and go on welfare. I will have more spendable income that way. Right now I cannot afford to work and pay for stuff I need like healthcare, but I COULD afford to NOT work and pay for all the stuff I need and most of what I want. Great system.

• No it bad

It dun be very bad so so so so bad very bad communism bad bad bad very bad sooper bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad

• Welfare = Neutral

My feelings on welfare is mutual and or neutral. I believe it is abused upon a daily basis. Those who have no right to be on welfare even though they can work perfectly fine. Save it for those who actually cannot work or provide for their families. But those who are able to provide for their families, they choose the easiest way out and that is to get a simple welfare check.

• Don't back up dependent "Losers"

Lazy people in society with no sense of workmanship are a drain on everyone else's resources. If they need welfare fine but it should be made that you have to work with some form of income, But since this hasn't happened yet the lazy (want everything fed to them people) majority at the time don't need it. What they need is to get off their ass and start working to survive like the rest of us. If they don't do that they're just more mouths to feed and would be better of dead.

• Laziness is promoted by our goverment

Some people need it I see no problem with helping some one who is truly trying. Tho on the other hand when I go to the grocery store and see the local no good meth head using there government money its just wrong. I wish I could live a life a home and do nothing , but I do not need the government to hold my hand. Ill continue to go school and work a 40 hour week to pay for said school, while others are out collecting my tax dollars. If these people would just go out and look for work they will find it and you can support yourself just fine with minim wage. No you wont have a nice car or nice home but you don't have that with welfare ether

• Laziness is promoted by our goverment

• It screws over society as a whole. It'll literally be the reason the west collapses.

It makes it so people are eager to take free handouts, and vastly reduces the incentive for them to work their way through life. It also makes marriage less attractive for women, who can depend on the government as a husband-like provider. This reduces the incentive for men to produce surplus that they would have produced if they had a family. The tax rates also increase, which even further reduces productivity because people don't see any reason to work harder if the fruits of their labor will be stolen away anyway.

• No to welfare

My argument is, at parks as in national parks if you've ever gone to one you will have noticed a sign. This sign reads "Do not feed the animals." They put this sign up because if people regularly feed said animals they will become too dependent and will not WORK for their own food.

• Government too lenient on welfare

The government is too lenient on welfare recipients. They are inhibiting recipients from looking for work, because why would someone want to work if they keep getting free money.

The government has to limit resources to welfare recipients. Create a work program, in that if welfare recipients do not join then their welfare will be cut off.

I am tired of paying for people that are too lazy to find work.

• No, welfare typically leads people to be dependent on the government.

In most cases, when people are given welfare without having to work to earn it, they become dependent on the government and never seek to earn an income for themselves. A welfare system that required certain amounts of work in order to receive benefits would be much better for society.