• Ethnicity based scholarships are definitely racist!

The only ones who believe they aren't are those receiving the benefits. Say we gave WHITE students enrolled in college the chance to get a well paying job. While other races do not qualify. If we did that then we would be called the racist! Everyone is a hypocrite nowadays!

• It is very racist.

Giving a certain group of people privileges is racist. It does not matter if it is a minority group or not. People of every race have financial issues, and having these scholarships also promotes racial stereotype. If you want to go to school than just work. Lots of people have done it so it's not impossible.

• They are absolutely racist!

I love how the people that intact these scholarships that can only be awarded to people of a certain ethnicity,also strut around saying they are "spreading equality","ending racism",and other crap

Giving someone entrance into a school based solely on their ethnicity is absolutely racist in every possible way. Just because they are a minority doesn't make it any less racist. People feel minorities in this nation should get a free ride. That's not the case. If you want to get into a good school,then work. Simple as that.

We aren't asking you to cut off an arm and a leg here. You should be admitted because you are qualified,not because your skin is a certain color.

• By definition yes

You should not give somebody a scholarship in something based purely on whether they are black white and all the in between.
    There might some circumstances where it would seem meaningful to give an ethnic group scholarships as an incentive to get people to go to college, but this is still racist to all the other ethnic groups.
    It is best to allow scholarships to everyone based on how they live as opposed to who they are.

• I guess so

The Definition of racism is: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. So as to distinguish it as.

Giving a scholarship to a specific race only as to suggest that the race is more deserving of it than other races, is a good indicator of racism according to the definition. However is this type of racism bad? I am not entirely sure. If I encountered a black person, gave them 10 bucks and apologized for any hardships they may have faced in their life, am I racist because I didn't give 10 bucks to a Latino?

I don't think awarding money to a certain group discriminates other groups, unless they explicitly deny ever wanting to give the other group money purely based on their ethnicity.

Posted by: TUF
  • Absolutely, no doubt!

Here's the thing... If I were a minority not only would I have access to the thousands of scholarships that everyone else does, BUT I also have access to ADDITIONAL scholarships that these other races, particularly Caucasian, have NO access to. It's an unfair advantage and more often than not these scholarships are based on financial need with GPA having to be greater than 2.5. Really? I'm white, I make less that $15,000 per year working full time to pay for college, and there are EXTREMELY few if ANY AT ALL scholarships I can qualify for based on need because I am not a "minority". So yes, I feel they are racist.

• They are absolutely racist!

Giving anyone a special privilege, benefit, or advantage based on their race is inherently racist.
    First, being a minority does not mean that they cannot afford education. There could be a minority kid whose parents bring in 300K a year who is entitled to such a scholarship, whilst a white child could have a single parent and be living off of food stamps but for some reason are considered more privileged. If the situation were reversed, and a white kid could get a scholarship specifically for white people, there would be public outcry because it would be racist.
    Second, there is hypocrisy. Giving a minority-only scholarship never lets the idea of a racial divide die down. As long as someone is rewarded for being "oppressed," there will never be a resolution between the races. You cannot promote the idea of equality by giving someone special privileges. It simply does not work that way. In fact, that's how "feminazis" emerged: having already achieved equality, these women denied it and continued to cry "oppression," so they're equal to men but still have their special scholarships and opportunities for women only.
    Third, the idea of a minority scholarship implies that minorities are less capable. If you give someone funding based on their skin color, it's like you're telling everyone, "this guy can't support himself because he's a minority! We need to help him!" It's taking away from the fact that many minorities are just as well off as white people without receiving extra help. If anything it makes minorities seem inferior rather than bringing them to equality.
    If it's a private donor that's a separate situation. I think it's still a little racist but their money is their business. However, an entire organization backing a race-based scholarship is racist and nothing more. The idea of racial equality is to get things based off merit and character, not race.

• Ethnicity Scholarships Go Against Equality.

Civil Rights leaders such as Asa Randolph and Martin Luther King Jr. Fought for equality. The Supreme Court case Brown v. Board of Education paved the way for desegregation of all institutions; the Civil Rights Act essentially ensures equality. Why are scholarships that deny a race from applying to them even allowed? Ethnicity scholarships promote the separation of races, racism, and basically send the message that one's race matters. In fact, race is only defined by skin pigmentation. It should NOT define a person; it should NOT be asked by schools or any organization. The reason there is racism in the U.S. to this day is because we are made to believe that race matters every time we have to put a check next to our race on a test or on a college application. We are all made of the same basic building blocks; we are all human. Ethnicity scholarships only promote the concept that people of differing races ARE NOT the same.

• Ethnicity-based scholarships are Absolutely Racist. Here's why:

To make a point, I want to walk into a university, check off "African American" on my application, and apply for a scholarship as such. When admissions says "You don't look African American" or they deny me because I look white, there you go - racist system exposed. Can you then sue the University or Scholarship fund for discrimination? We'll one day find out. Ethnicity-based scholarships are anything but equal. Anyone can work their way up, even people who grew up poor living on a dirt floor. Every one has an equal opportunity in this country to work hard. Equal opportunity is not giving someone a free ride because they fit a demographic profile. Ethnicity-based scholarships are hand-made from the poison of political correctness. People who take advantage of the race pass are being used as pawns. Much respect for those who want nothing from the system and work their way up on their own. It is nice to say that you did it on your own without assistance from an ethnicity-based scholarship. Using the system shows that you could not do it on your own. That makes a person OWNED for life. The system has the outward appearance of helping people, but it really demeans them.

• Reverse the Scenario

I just won 40 million dollars and I am going to set up a scholarship that is awarded only to those academically deserving, who are white, male, married to a female, has children between the ages of 25 - 35...What kind of outrage would ensue? If it fits in one shoe it should fit in all shoes.

• It all depends on who's doing the funding.

First I want to clarify that a scholarship is a means of financial assistance that is awarded based on an applicant's achievement at meeting prescribed qualifications. While certain scholarships target specific ethnicities, it is typically because that group is underrepresented at the school or university, and because that underrepresentation is often due to of a lack of financial resources of individuals within that ethnic community. It should be further clarified that even ethnicity based scholarships require academic achievement and often additional measures of achievement such as excellence in SAT/ACT scores, extracurricular activities, etc. No one offers a scholarship to a minority student solely because that student is black, Hispanic, Asian American, Native American, etc. There is still competition for that award.

If I am a private donor, or I have an organization that chooses to assist minority students financially, then that is my right and it is not racist. I'm simply recognizing that there is a well-defined group of people that without my assistance may not be able to afford college and I believe that they should be able to have that opportunity and avoid coming out with massive amounts of student loan debt. My giving this group of students my assistance isn't taking anything away from white students. You can't take away something from someone that wasn't theirs in the beginning!

If I am a private donor, this is no different then deciding to fund my own children's education. If the funds that are being awarded through my organization have come from donations within that community, then it stands to reason that I will award those funds to a deserving child from that community.

• Fuck white peope

They're a just a group of opressing headasses who constantly put down other races. Like yall niggas remember slavery yeah bet yall bitches feel bad now. And dont forget when yall brought chinks over to build your fucking railroads i remember that system fuck u headass yeah i bet a bunch of yall are about to get hella salty yeah wait for it and jake is triggered bet rn he is saying t himself man fuckt this chink but guess what............... I don't give a fuck KKK for life yeah utilitarianism for lyfe

sincerely Grace Nguyen of GRHS

• Fuck white peope

sincerely Grace Nguyen of GRHS

• Fuck white peope

sincerely Grace Nguyen of GRHS

• No, because it doesn't just apply to the countries minorities.

Lots of people assume minority scholarships are only offered to people of color blacks, Hispanics, they believe that whites can't recieve that scholarship but if a white person applies to a HBCU you can still receive a minority scholarship because you are a minority in that school. Therefore minority scholarships are not racist.

• No, it is not.

Having minority scholarship means helping underrepresented group of people. Usually some of these people may not be able to get anY other financial support because of their race. I'm not saYing you should admit someone based on skin color, but the scholarships it targeted should also be based on academics or other factors.

• The Invisible Knapsack

I do not believe ethnicity based scholarships are racist. Heck there is a billion kinds of scholarships. If someone wants to give a scholarship to someone who is Mexican-American, African-American etc so let them. If someone wants to give a scholarship to someone who is a lesbian so let them. Is that sexist then? The thing is people complain about these when there are a lot of different scholarships out there for different people. People who play sports, people who play the trumpet, people who sing, people who volunteer. I feel the people who are not happy about this issue are mad because it wouldn't be okay if they got a scholarship for being white would it? But I'm sure there is scholarships for being German, Irish, Scandinavian etc. I am sure people who did receive scholarships for being a different ethnicity did not just sit on their butts and not try hard. They usually give it to people who show hard work and who are devoted to their culture. So look for a scholarship that fits you. Do not hate on the ones that you don't fit in.