Are examinations a fair gauge of a student's ability?

• H h h

H gg h h h h h h h h h you h h y y g f j g g f f. F f f f g t t. T t t f f. F d f f f f f f f f f f f f f.

• Exams Do Gauge Ability

Exams are a decent way to gauge a student's abilities. Not all students perform well on exams even when they know the material. However, very few alternatives are as effective for students in general. Exam scores give everyone a clear picture of who knows what and how well they know it.

• Yes, it is the best way to measure.

Yes, examinations are a fair gauge of a student's ability, because they are the only objective way to measure progress. If teachers simply gave a grade based on what they thought the student knew, grades would be very objective, and making sure the teacher likes you would be more important than actually knowing the material. Examinations are a fair way to see who is progressing.

• Evaluating students based on examinations is fair.

It is fair as long as there is more then 1 test. For example, the public schools in New York have started doing pre and post tests. These tests show if students have actually learned or not in my opinion. I know some students have problems with these exam's, but usually not in every subject. Also, the students that usually don't do good on these exams usually put little to no effort in.

• Evaluating student's ability by examinations is fair in general

Different students have different abilities and thoughts. Some can be very good at certain aspects but they may be defective in other things. For example, although a student may be good at arranging his time or at collecting necessary information, some people can find him bad at teamwork or controlling his temper because he always wants everything to occur as his expectation. If a student expects to get the best result, he has to coordinate all of his skills such as managing time, planning, teamwork, and collecting information,... Therefore, examinations are fair indicators to show how well a student can do with all abilities he has.

• Of course not

If it is a fair way to predict a person's ability ,some who did not study will cheat. And it is extremely unfair for some who studied. And what if the person is clever and smart genuinely, they will be ahead.And what if the person is good in speaking and oral test but not physical test, it will surely be a sad day for he or she.

• They are too tailored to a certain type of student...

Exams are a terrible for most students but for different reasons, an example I have experianced is being too limited time-wise to write down the nessasary points in essay form in all my geography exams (A case of slow writer or serious hand cramping). Others can lose there ability to memorise do to stress and even become ill due to stress. Some people can't focus in intense silence with an old lady staring at them. Most of the conditions used by the exams are comletly unrealistic and are a bad representation of your knowledge and skills as a whole.

• Not At All!

Students that score well on exams are good at one thing only: CRAMMING! In the 21st century I think there are many creative and "participatory" ways to gauge interests. Remember, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it is stupid.

• Definitely not a fair gauge.

I believe that everyone has varying strengths and weaknesses. With that in mind, I do not believe that examinations should even be considered as a gauge, let alone a fair one. As examinations only really test on certain aspects of a student's abilities, students who just so happen to not have that certain ability would not be able to do well in that exam/test.

• Tests are crap

I know a lot of people who are very good on their homework but suck at exams and tests. Schools just use tests to weed out all the not so smart children to really focus on the really smart ones. Anyone ever notice that the smart kids always sit up front in the classrooms and the teachers always answer their questions first? I have. Anyone who doesn't live up to the schools standards are put on the back burner, therefore, the kids who really do need help with the material don't get any help and bomb the tests and exams.

• No,examinations are not a fair gauge of a student's ability.

No,examinations are not a fair gauge of a student's ability.Tests are a very subjective way to measure a student's achievement,There are all kinds of tricks that can be implemented with tests to give a false high score.There is also the act of cheating which might be avoided with other types of measurement such as projects.

• No, they are not.

I do not believe that exams are a good way to test the ability of a student to comprehend the material that she or he has learned over the school year. One reason that I believe this is because often a student simply crams to pass the test and forgets everything very soon afterward. Also, students learn in different ways and an exam cannot test for all of these types of intelligence.

• Examinations are not a fair gauge of a student's ability.

Examinations are not a fair gauge of a student's ability. I have known some very smart and intelligent people that just do badly on exams for some reason. Teachers should never use just these to judge a student's ability and focus more on the overall studies of the student. Examinations can be a bad gauge of ability.

• Exams Are Not The Best Gauge

As a prior student I do not believe that examinations are a fair gauge of a student's ability. Some students can excel at exams and pass them proficiently, but may not function in the real world very well. At the same time, some people suffer from text anxiety, and may not do well on an exam.

• They only test one thing

Examinations only test h much a student cares about doing well academically, they don't gauge how smart they are by any means. An idiot can do well on a test if they try hard enough because most of the questions you know are coming and it's just a matter of bashing the information into your head.