Are Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, and other networking websites weak substitutes for making and cementing real business relationships in person?

• Yes, they are not substitutes

I know this isn't everybody, but Facebook addicts are around. People who have their entire lives centered around this screen constantly commenting, liking, and reading menial details about people they don't even know, scorning their real social duties.

• Networking sites can do far less than what a good business person can accomplish in a few minutes of a face to face exchange.

While networking sites are useful for initial contacts, they do not yet provide the technology to act as substitutes for body language, vocal tone, eye contact, and overall appearance--essential elements in making a business decision. Further, the easy back and forth of speech is still a more elegant means of communication than text messaging, and a good natured laugh (which always bonds two people) is still more warm and human than an "LOL."

Posted by: OrdinaryFreddy26
  • These websites are the lazy man's equivalent to networking, because getting out and meeting people is the real way to network.

If I want to network, then I should get out and meet people. That is what I was always told: get to know people, take down their names, and remember them and their contact information. Today, all we have to do is click on their icon through some networking website, and we get all of that, without the work. In fact, in many cases, people aren't even meeting the people that they are "networking" with in person. With this in mind, it is clear that the real relationships of real networking are being diluted and replaced by this incomplete and unfortunate replacement.

Posted by: MariaR
  • Yes, because online networking fails to establish the same levels of trust that are established in personal meetings.

Human communication is not limited to words. The inflection in our voice, our facial expressions, and even our body language all say a great deal about who we are. These extra bits of information, which we also term the "human connection," are very influential in deciding who we trust and who we like. They are critical for business networking in particular, as people are much more likely to go into business with people they like and trust.

Posted by: ZeroLev
  • I don't think Facebook or other social network sites are used in making business relationships, or at least they shouldn't be.

If people are really going on Myspace or Facebook to make business relationships, then are in the entirely wrong place. I don't think anyone that actually calls themselves a professional would be caught using a social network for business reasons. Real business relationships are made in person.

Posted by: G Pitts
  • I believe sites like Facebook, Myspace and LinkedIn are contributing to business growth and development.

Businesses that use networking websites are adding a great tool to their company. Networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace are allowing companies to get their products out to a wide range of people at little to no cost. The companies that use these networking sites are adding a valuable tool for easy access to their information for people who are not able to access face to face contact.

Posted by: ManM4gic
  • Yes, it is too easy to misrepresent yourself via the web.

There is a falseness somewhat about meeting and conducting business on social networks. You can tell so much more about a person if you can look them in the eye, shake their hand, or share a meal. The internet takes the human side out of business relationships, which in my opinion can lead to a fair amount of deception. I think it's fine doing business 'on paper' but a face to face meeting can be much more productive.

Posted by: PinkMych
  • Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, and other networking websites are weak substitutes for making and cementing real business relationships in person because you can't judge a person very well based on their online profile alone.

Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, and other networking websites are weak substitutes for making and cementing real business relationships in person because face to face contact is a valuable tool in business relations and cannot be replaced by simply meeting up online. Talking to somebody in person leaves a long-lasting impression that should not be underestimated. We are living in the digital age, but that does not mean we can throw personal meetings out the window.

Posted by: JeffP4ri5
  • I definitely believe that Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, and other networking websites are weak substitutes for making and cementing real business relationships in person.

The Internet makes everything easier, as well as communication. No need to meet face to face, or deal with things in a traditional way. I think sites like this are weakening communication amongst everyone, not only businesses. Its sad, we're becoming more impersonal every day.

Posted by: LorenaH
  • Social websites, like Facebook, are valuable tools to improve your business relationships.

I have a daily habit of checking Facebook every morning, before going to work. It gives me reminders of birthdays of friends, and what is going on in their lives. It is a very good shortcut to keep up with friends and business associates. A person still needs to work at relationships, but social websites help.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • I think that Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn are actually more effective tools for business networking than face-to-face relations, especially when the parties in question deal primarily in online business.

I think that, in most cases, face-to-face networking is outdated, and in the case of online business, this kind of networking is totally irrelevant. In other words, I believe, in terms of online business, that Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn are the most appropriate way to network, because they show an understanding of how business is done now and will primarily be done in the future.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • I disagree, because I am a social media manager for a business.

I disagree with this, because I am the social media manager for 6-car dealership, and the power of social media is very helpful in everyday life. Social media offers many benefits to a variety of companies out in the world. The pros are that it is easy to use, everyone uses it, and it is free.

Posted by: BoundlessHomer49
  • Social networking sites are good ways to form and maintain business relationships because, sometimes, face-to-face contact can actually inhibit effective communication.

Social networking sites are a good way to form and maintain business relationships. The seemingly impersonal interface of a website can actually be an important tool in interpersonal relations in general, because it eliminates problems that some people experience in communication. On Facebook, it doesn't matter if you're not very good looking. You can change your profile picture to anything you want, and no one even expects it to be you. Your communication ends up being about the task at hand, not some interpersonal power game based on looks or status.

Posted by: tagapps
  • Social Networking sites are not weak substitutes for providing business relationships because they allow fellow businessmen and women to connect even if they are not within driving distance of each other.

Social networking sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn are becoming the new way to communicate. Most businesses and business men now have Facebook pages. With the increasing smart phone usage, it is becoming easier than every before to maintain a business relationship with another person. One could argue you still don't have the face to face contact, but with many phones providing webcams this issue is also solved.

Posted by: M0r3Interior
  • There is no substitution for an everyday personal relationship.

There is no way that a "relationship" on Facebook or some other social networking site could ever replace the personal experience that one achieves through actual face to face communication and this is especially true in the realm of business where a lot of working relationships are founded on trust and collaboration. Facebook and LinkedIn are nice distractions for the online socialite, but the real thing is never replaceable, and it doesn't even come close.

Posted by: SydneeM
  • It's harder to fake competence in person.

It is easy for someone to falsify an identity, to fake their website and blog, and create an inflated persona. There are entire hacking entities devoted to creating false company fronts with websites and social networking presences in order to entice consumers to place orders or request services, providing the information necessary to commit identity theft or financial theft. Identity theft can also result in someone taking over a competent person's profile and using it to solicit funds or information. This kind of fraud is far more difficult when you meet people in person.

Posted by: Pir4And
  • Facebook, Myspace, Linkedin, and other networking sites are not weak substitutes for real life networking.

I do not believe that networking sites like Facebook, Myspace, and Linkedin are weak substitutes to real life networking. I think that as technology improves, our personal circle of friends and acquaintances gets larger, and that is not a bad thing. Similar to the advent of the telephone, our conversations became longer distance, instead of only talking to and making connections with those people in our neighborhood, we could talk to anyone. This is similar to what networking sites have done for America's networking. Instead of being limited to just those people who are in our field or our friends' fields, we have opened up the world for us to be connected with anyone and everyone in our friends' circles, and their friends' circles, and so on.

Posted by: eldritch1