• Factory farming is cruelty incarnate and unnecessary.

There is plenty of documentaries like Food, inc, Earthlings, We Feed the World which illustrate the cruelty of factory farms. Not only that but there are plenty of healthy vegans.

Some doctors claim vegan is more healthy than non-vegan. As for price grains are cheaper than meat. Watch Forks over Knives.

Http://nutritionfacts.Org/video/50-shades-of-greens/

• Factory farms are cruel and unnecessary.

The factory conditions of the meat industry are horrific. Not to mention the industry has arrogantly influenced law to make it illegal to film factory conditions. We can raise animals and get meat without the type of conditions we currently have. We are human beings! We're better than this I say!

• Factory farms are definitely cruel

Animals are kept in tight quarters, and are regularly abused by workers and inhumanely slaughtered. And it is so devastating to the environment. If there was no more factory farming, that would help the environment tremendously. I don't eat meat because of the factory farming, but if I did, I wouldn't mind paying more for meat if it meant more humane conditions for animals. Americans eat way too much anyway.

• Without a doubt ytes

The way that farm owners treat their animals in unbelievably cruel and cold hearted. Chickens are shoved into tiny cages with two-three other chickens without being able to walk or move their feet. Cows are held in areas large enough for them to take on step forward and one step back. Their feet will never be able to touch grass. If you guys think this is not cruel, shame on you. It is terrible how animals are treated just to make money.

• Yes it is.

• Yes, they are.

As someone who has seen the behind the scenes videos of these types of farms, there is no doubt that they are cruel and inhumane. The question is, is the cheap price of food we get as a result worth this treatment? I say no, we are better than that.

• Yes, factory farms are unnecessary and cruel.

How can piling hundreds and cows, chickens and pigs in a small area not be cruel? As for necessary, didn't people in the 1800's hunt for their own food? We have become very lazy and allow factories to do the work for us. Animals are viciously slaughtered for our consumption. It's sick! We should fish for our food, grow our own vegetables, and hunt for our meat. Perhaps then we would appreciate what we have and the sacrifices of animals.

• Factory farms keep prices low.

I think that before people sit in their ivory tower and prattle on about the ethical concerns of factory farming, they need to think about the price they pay for food at the grocery store. If you want animals to be raised more nicely, get ready to pay a lot more.

• Necessary yes, cruel maybe

Talking about egg farming because that's what I know best, most people don't know the shear amount of eggs we use, and the amount of land it would take to produce the amount of eggs currently being produced in cages. Also with birds in cages they use less energy moving around so they can be fed less. This adds up to making cage eggs more sustainable than free range eggs and with the world population heading towards ten billion we need all the sustainability we can get. Also I want to point out the a chicken isn't a human, they don't have the range of emotions and the cognitive ability we have, they are happy in a cage, they like small spaces, with only 6-7 birds in a cage they can establish a pecking order, they don't get sick or injured as much in a cage. Sure it's not perfect but we have bigger problems to tackle as a planet than keeping chickens in cages.