Are federal sexual harassment laws enough to provide protections in the workplace?

• Yes, federal sexual harassment laws are enough to provide protections in the workplace.

If the laws are properly applied and enforced, the current federal guidelines are sufficient to protect employees from sexual harassment in the workplace. The major problem at the moment is fear of retribution or fear of being ostracized for reporting violations. Though it is illegal to retaliate against someone who reports harassment, many fear the disruption to their life if they are forced to quit their job (even if they would have a decent chance at winning a lengthy lawsuit at a later date).

• No They Aren't

I do not believe federal sexual harassment laws are enough to provide protections in the workplace. Those who participate in sexual harassment are just as likely to so today as they were before these laws were enacted. Backlash for sexual harassment claims are high as well. I think there is a lot of misinformation in this arena and many people who are unaware due to businesses lack of attention in this matter.

• You can't legislate away stupid

I don't think federal sexual harassment laws are adequate protection for the workplace. When I say adequate protection, I mean protection enough so that the thing won't occur. Sexual harassment will always occur, federal laws can only go so far. The best approach would be some kind of empathy training.

• People still get away with it.

No, federal sexual harassment laws are not enough to provide protection in the workplace, because there are still people who harass at work and get away with it. Women know that if they become complainers, they will not be able to get a job anywhere in the industry. They have to think of their families.