• They are necessary

A student who has properly learned a subject isn't going to get an A all year and suddenly fall apart on the final. If they do then they have demonstrated a lack of knowledge. Finals are part of life and performing in critical situations are part of life. Not all pressure is bad - if you can't handle finals then you can't handle larger stressors down the road.

Finals properly sort out those who know the material and those who don't. It proves you retained your knowledge over time as opposed to cramming the day before periodic tests. When going to school it is your ONLY JOB - stop complaining and be good at it.

• Final exams are a way to assess how much you have learned in a class.

There are many reasons why final exams are necessary for school. Many students forget concepts and facts after having been tested on them. At the end of a year a final exam can show the teacher how much you have learned. Final exams show how prepared you are to move on in that subject, and if you are ready for a class that is more advanced.

• An accurate assessment

During the year, students are provided with an abundance of information that they must retain. Yes, there are periodical, or even semester tests to see how well this knowledge has stayed in the mind, but truly, finals can assess how well a student has applied knowledge stretching back as far as the beginning of the school year. This accumulation needs to be tested as a "last Hurrah" for various subjects before the next courses can be done.

• Why Not? Exams are part of Student Life.

Exams are a means to measure student's academic performance, with help of which they will be decided to be promoted to next grade or not. It helps to see how much knowledge they have acquired during the course of their study at a particular grade. Taking final exams will indulge the students to study more thoroughly and be motivated.
    So, final exams re necessary for school and should be carried on over years to come.

• Why Not? It's a part of school life.

Exams are a means to measure student's academic performance, it is a tool by which students are promoted from one grade to another. The knowledge they acquire during the course of their study is tested at the end of the term to check how much children have gasped. Students also study with the knowledge in mind that they have to take and pass the exam, so they remain focused.
    Hence, we can say final exams are necessary for school and should be carried on over the years to come.

• I'm just going to go with yes.

I do not really know how I feel about this. Data suggests that high stakes tests such as graduation exams increase drop out rates. On the other hand, semester exams seem like reasonable tools to make sure that students actually know the material they've studied. You want grades to reflect knowledge because that is the main, if not the only point of education.

• It depends on what your grades are

Seniors in my high school are allowed to skip a final provided that they re currently achieving above a 90 in that particular class. These prove that the student knows the material. My school believes in this idea. However, they require every other grade to take them. To me, this makes no sense. Finals are meant to see what you have retained. But they can definitely pull down your grade. Exams occur all year, if they were important enough for everyone to do, then why are seniors allowed to skip. Clearly, they are not as important or necessary as they seem. If you do well enough, you should not have to take them again.

• Stop this now

Its unfair, cause way to much stress, and may be the cause of a lot of unfortunate events that happen in schools along with anything else on top of that. Exams are stupid and unnecessary. Stop killing us with useless test it not good for our health. No MORE DON'T KILL US

• They are not necessary

Finals for every course is dumb and wastes peoples time. As a high school student I know that I get good grades all year round, however when it comes to finals they drastically effect my grades and can end up dropping them down one or two letter grades. I also know first hand that finals stress students out completely. You spend at least a week studying for 6 or 7 exams that you have to take and that can effect your mental health. Stressing about grades is very common and we know (and teachers tell us) that we do not need to know half of the stuff we learn in school and finals are mandatory by state and the teacher doesn't believe finals actually do anything for your grades.

• There really not

If teachers could look at how much stress this causes because of finals they would probably not want every kid to take them. I only a freshman in high school and I haven't been so upset with myself ever. I've seen people crying because of them. Whats the point of all this stress that colleges are going to look at once

• Finals are good natured in theory,

But have lost track of their founding notions. A final test/project that asks students to pull together ideas taught over the course of the year is an effective use of time that not only demonstrates competency but also practical skills. Finals that are essentially repeats of earlier tests/projects are unnecessary, a negative experience for both students and teachers, and a waste of class time.

• Not worth the time

Finals should be optional. Students shouldn't be told their grade based on one test. Students above an A should not be required to take finals, since they have demonstrated their knowledge the whole year. With finals, one test could ruin your whole grade! Say no to final exams!! Finals stress us out!!!

• They are not necessary for every course. They should at least be optional.

Not every course needs a final exam. What are you going to learn from taking an exam? For most classes, some will study for the exam and forget the next year. For some math classes, I can see its necessity. But for history or English, you have to better convince me because I ain't seeing it.

• It sucks I'm I right.

The final exam is kind of not cool for me I guess. Once I did it it was hard really really hard for me. So once did it it was like I mean I was like this is to hard and the people in my class were like no way we are not doing this.

• It sucks I'm I right.