Are genetically engineered bacteria an environmental threat?

Asked by: eelovic
  • Partially; it depends.

If we introduce a new specie of bacteria that can reproduce faster than other types of bacteria, or has a selective advantage, from a Darwinian standpoint, It can be a environmental disaster. But if the bacteria is engineered such that it can be controlled or has limited reproduction rates and is only viable under specific circumstances then there would be no threat at all.

A clear example of new organism invading and destroying previous native species has been seen since the 15 century with the european colonization. For example the introduction of rabbits in Australia was a huge mistake, as these fast reproducing animals invaded most of the country extremely rapidly and caused the death of many native living plants and animals. A bacteria that is designed to be "superior" to may other species can wipe them out of the face of earth and leave by a environmental catastrophe.

• We don't know enough to release them into the environment

Since engineered bacteria are relatively new, not enough known about they effect they have on the environment and on other organisms.
    Without further research and a safety mechanism, releasing those bacteria in large numbers can have a tremendous effect that will be unstoppable and irreversible.
    As I said, further research and safety precautions should be taken

• Possiblty for lose of control

There is no guarantee that inserting and introducing a bacteria or any other microorganism to a specific environment won't do any harm and there is always the possibility of losing control of it. This has the potential to cause a major catastrophe.
    Moreover we have no real knowledge on the long term ecological effects of introducing new genetic abilities to a given environment.

• H h h

I just hate my life and want to end it all so help me plz dfddddddddddddddds ssssssssss ss s s s s sh hj dj vd hd dj d d jhdj jh dv djh j jd efds njnj f ewu wefwejufewfunf u un j j j j j j j j j j j j j

• H h h

• H h h

• Brb gnna kms

No this is the stupidest thing i have ever read in my entire life you need to go out side and get some sun. Go have a picnic or pick up a football you lazy poo poo. This makes no sense and you need to open up a book and start reading. CHILD PLEASE

• Are rabid squirrels an environmental threat?

Yes, in the sense that there is some potential danger if it got out of hand under the wrong circumstances. Right now, however, neither rabid squirrels or genetically engineered bacteria pose an environmental threat. The knowledge to make a dangerous bacteria and the desire to do so are lacking. Scientists working in the field are careful types. So not now.