Are government secrets, such as those related to the Roswell UFO incident, justifiable in the interest of preserving security and averting widespread panic?

• Government secrets, such as the Roswell UFO incident are justifiable.

The reason I say it's fine to keep secrets is that the government does it all in order to protect us and those around the world, in general, from having a widespread panic that could in turn be disaster to a community that doesn't know how to handle the truth. And as the guys above said, it does create problems in the public.

• Sensationalized News Creates a society that can't handle change

I think it is in the best interests of the American society that there are government secrets. A person is smart and reasonable. However, people and or the mob are panic and irrational and can barely accept other religions that are different much less the possibility that there is other intelligent life.

• Yes, governments are justified in keeping things like UFOs a secret.

I do think that government secrets, such as those dealing with the Roswell UFO incident, are justified in the interest of preserving security and averting widespread panic. I think that such incidents are only something that can cause problems and issues with the public. That is why I support some government secrets.

• No: Such Government Secrets Are Not Justifiable

The power structure is rife with secrets, kept in the supposed interest of national security. In reality, these secrets are kept in the interest of maintaining the power structure, which ordinary citizens are needed for to provide the brute work for the elite classes. All secrets kept are in the end only needed by a system that produces secrets. In the end, the unhealthy states of abusive power structure and stratified societies will lead to widespread destabilization, meaning security will in the end break down. The rise of the security state, the secrets it keeps, and the backlash it engenders, are the self-fulfilling prophecy of a pathological system.

• We can handle it.

No, government secrets, such as those related to the Roswell UFO incident are not justifiable in the interest of preserving security and adverting widespread panic, because the public can handle the truth. The public is more concerned today because they know that the government keeps these secrets from us, so we don't know the truth.

• No They Aren't

I do not believe government secrets, such as those related to the Roswell UFO incident, are justifiable in the interest of preserving security and averting widespread panic. If anything these stupid secrets create problems, especially since the suggested topic has garnered a great deal of attention since it happened. I think it breeds distrust in the government.