Are hate crimes over-exaggerated by the media in the hopes of generating a widely discussed story?

• Yes, very much so

The media completely blows the situation out of proportion but very subtly, they are very clever in the way they word things and masterminds at manipulating the majority with their over-exaggerated stories of (mostly) falsehood. They use only the facts that support their opinions and storie and leave out the rest

• Yes, very much so

• Look at George Zimmerman.

Yes, hate crimes are over-exaggerated by the media in hopes of developing a widely discussed story, because they just want ratings. A perfect example of this is the George Zimmerman case. Trayvon Martin had a drug history, and he bought stuff to make drugs that night. But you'd never hear the media say that. They said it was just about race.

• Yes, I think hate crimes are sensationalized by the media.

I think the media can take any potential hate crime incident and spin it to something much worse then what actually has happened, the media is very skilled at doing that, I think overall the media wants to make a sensationalist issue over hate crimes since it's such a hot button issue they know people will tune in and it helps their ratings.

• Yes, hate crimes are hyped by the media for ratings.

I definitely think that the media makes cases of hate crimes a lot worse than they really are in hopes of making them a more rating catching story. I think that the media is guilty of hyping such stories because they know people will watch them. Journalists caught doing this should be fired.

• For the most part no

While the social justice movement online where nobody can say anything bad about anybody ever or it's ____ shaming thing has gotten out of control and is just ridiculous, it doesn't really apply to media usage. For the most part, when the media reports a hate crime, they're doing so because it is one and it deserves attention.

• Hate crimes are not over-exaggerated by the media in the hopes of generating a widely discussed story.

Hate crimes are not over-exaggerated by the media in the hopes of generating a widely discussed story. Hate crimes happen all the time and it is about time that they get some sort of attention. I think the media loves the story but in hopes that with more aware then this would stop.