• I know I do.

I am almost fourteen years old (turning next week), so I talk to kids in the neighborhood about my being homeschooled. And much to my surprise, the kids gave me so much support. Not on education, but I got good feedback from kids. "Oh, you're so lucky," or "You get to hang out with your parents all day" or "You get to eat whenever you want" and things to that effect.
    On the negative side. I have gotten so much.. Immature feedback on being homeschooled.
    Just recently, my mom's boss walked up to her and said, "You should really consider taking your daughter out of homeschool and put her in a public school. I'm only saying this with concern for her health and safety over social anxiety."
    And others..
    "So, your kid must be a cave bat?"
    "What's it like to have a cave bat for a kid?"
    "She doesn't have many friends, does she?"

Yes. I do not have many friends. But that is not due to "Social Anxiety Disorder." It is due to "I-Don't-Tend-To-Meet-Children-That-Are-On-My-Level Syndrome."
    I choose not to have many friends. I choose not to say things around strangers unless a switch is flipped.

The only stereotyping we homeschoolers should face is that we're proven to be smarter than those in a public education facility.

• Yes, homechoolers are discriminated against.

I am homeschooled, and all of my homeschooled friends have stories, as do I, of people who discriminate against us for our education choices. I have been turned away from doing yard work at a neighbors house. When I was taking the PSAT, there wasn't enough tests to go around, so they forced one of the homeschoolers I was taking it with to leave instead of one of the private schoolers. They said that the private school kids "Needed to take this test more than you do." Who are they to decide that? The social stigmas of unsocialized dweebs don't help much either. Most homeschoolers are high achieving, socially accepted, and altogether well rounded kids.

• Yes, people find it strange

Homeschoolers are discriminated against because many people find it strange and wonder why they are not in "regular school". They get labeled as antisocial or awkward and in many cases even less intelligent, because a lot of people view homeschooled kids as kids who don't take school seriously and don't really do any work.

• Yes, because they can't prove they attend class everyday.

Homeschoolers are discriminated against because they can't prove that they attend school everyday. In normal schools attendance is taken; it is a measure of a pupil's ability to stay loyal to a system which is critical when that pupil enters the workforce. An employer cannot verify if a homeschooler was indeed taught the value of attendance whereas they can if the applicant received a school diploma because most schools have mandatory attendance requirements to graduate.

• Homeschoolers are discriminated.

I am 16 years old, and I am in college because of homeschool. If I stayed in public school, I would of never gotten a chance to achieve what I am doing now. Although this is a good thing, there has been, especially recent, things happening that have been discriminating.
    I am on a robotics team at the near by public school so I can get my social and also do something that helps towards my degree. Well at this robotics team, the teachers treat me different, in a horrible way. Just this week, one teacher decided to call my mom and tell her all these horrible things that I decided to do at robotics meetings (all of which she said happened a year ago and she just now decided to tell my mother). All she did was lie. Now my parents won't believe me because they see no reason in why a teacher would lie. I'm trying to look for a way that the law can help me in this discrimination, but right now I'm coming up empty handed, and I don't know what I could possibly do.

• Yes, we are discriminated

I have been homeschooled for two years now (I am 11). Ever since I was 9, people assumed that I slept in and wore my pajamas all day. They think I am lazy. This is not true, I am a straight A student and I work at least 6 hours every week day. I was not invited to one of my friends birthday sleepovers because her Mom wanted my friend to be friends with "normal kids". I was invited to all of her birthdays before I was homeschooled. This discrimination is really unfair.

• Home schoolers are just like us

My best friend is home schooled, he may not be able to fit into my school but that doesn't mean he is in any way unable compared to me, I sometimes joke that he has no friends cause he is home schooled but he has plenty. Most kids that are home schooled still go to a co-op every week where there is a classroom full of students. The only difference is that homeschooling offers more class choices than your basic electives in public school

• Homeschoolers have no effect on how a person sees another person in society.

My wife was homeschooled and that didn't in the least bit stop her from going and being successful in college. It is generally used as a means of preventing bad habits public schools may expose children to in their early years. Although it helps to be able to interact with other children for social reasons, there isn't enough evidence to support that they can't interact with people their age when they are adults.

• Please specify where, who, and why

It is difficult to understand why this discrimination takes place if no explanations have been provided. I understand it may stem from a personal experience however that is difficult to determine from our point of view.

Can you specify where were you being discriminated, who was discriminating against you and what were your interpretations of their social behavior. For example can you explain their social background so I can understand your point with a clearer picture

I do sympathize but if you are generalizing that all home schooled individuals are being discriminated against then you are making an 'unwarranted leap of faith' fallacy by not providing an explanation. You have only provided a selection of examples rather than a neutral perspective.

Anonymous says2013-07-15T12:06:13.007
The real reason that home schoolers are discriminated against is because they are different that's all ! People who dare to be different are always discriminated against.