• Livestock is a food source, horses are not raised to eat

They are sport, companion and individually owned animals. They are raised as pets and family members not as food. They have names and are used differently than animals that are raised solely as food. They are given medications and vaccines that are banned in animals raised for food. Just because they have a hoof does not mean they are a food source.

• ASPCA specifies that....

The ASPCA specifies "species suitable to be companion animals (aka pets) include dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, ferrets, birds, guinea pigs and select other small mammals, small reptiles and fish."

Our economy no longer depends on these animals for transportation. I think we should catch up with the times. BTW...I don't have any plans on eating my horse anytime soon.

• ASPCA specifies that...

ASPCA specifies "species suitable to be companion animals (aka pets) include dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, ferrets, birds, guinea pigs and select other small mammals, small reptiles and fish."

We no longer depend on them for transportation so it's time to get with the times. BTW....I don't plan on eating my horse anytime soon.

• Horses are primarily a sport and hobby animal.

Horse are no longer a working farm animal except in rare cases. The vast majority are purchased as a companion animal with which to compete or simply enjoy riding or driving. They are no more livestock today than the family dog. It is time to reclassify them to be in line with our modern day use of these companion animals.

• Think About It

Time for a vocab lesson. When the word 'livestock' is pulled apart, you get 'live' and 'stock,' which is literally a form of stock, or property, that is living. If I owned one dog or ten dogs, they would technically be my livestock. Therefore, horses are also livestock. Do you normally harness up your pets and plow fields with them, or pull wagons with them? Most likely not. Horses are also used for reproduction, and studding services are a common practice (that's how to make more "pets"). And many countries do raise horses for meat production, so just about any definition of livestock covers horses.